TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff View Post
    When I first got Bagley, I had the same problem.
    I even tied one deer to my 4 wheeler that had only ran 50 yards and drug it for 1/2 a mile for her to follow
    did it work? I was thinking about doing that with the tractor

Comment

Was able to get Reece my 8 month old Drahthaar out on her first real track a little over a week ago for OKTX. She loved every minute of it and is on pace to be a stellar tracker-

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413387736.541192.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	24337850
      Last edited by Moose; 10-15-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Another one our Drahthaars made 2 recoveries on pigs yesterday. This pig went a long ways and through some thick stuff, never would of found him without Guinness-

Attached Files

Comment

Bourbon and Boudin doing work (long read)

I was just hanging out at the house today playing with the puppies when I get a call at 1:30 from a guy I know. He tells me that his wife shot her first deer with her bow at 7:20 this morning and can't find it. He says that he found some blood, but not a lot. I ask the regular questions, where did she hit the deer, broad heads, distance, pass thru or not, etc......He tells me that she is shooting a low poundage bow and did not get a pass thru shot. Deer was 20 yards kinda quartering away. I told him that we would give it a try, so I load up and drive almost and hour to his deer lease. He shows me the blood trail, which is not very good. Blood drops are no bigger than a match head, but there are a lot of them. He had the trail marked with toilet paper. I put Bourbon and Boudin and the trail and they take off like rockets until the end of the blood. By this time, we are about 600 yards from where she shot the buck. The dogs work it out and act like they are on his trail. We go another 200 yards and come to a creek. Bourbon is about 60 yards ahead of us across the creek and over a slight rise, where I can"t see him. I hear Bourbon bark and he runs back to us. I told my buddy that he found the deer and he is still alive, because Bourbon wont bay a dead deer. Sure enough, the dogs run back across the creek and start baying. We get across and over a rise where we can see, and there is the buck standing in the creek with the arrow sticking out of his side. A little back in the guts. Dogs baying like crazy, deer just standing there. I ask if they have a bow in the truck, buddy says, yes and takes off to get his bow. I whip out the IPhone and take some pics and video, then catch the dogs and have to wait about 20 minutes for him to get back with his bow. All the time, the deer is just standing there and the dogs are on leads baying like crazy. Buddy finally gets back and slings an arrow into the buck and he explodes out of the creek and runs about 20 yards and crashes. Dogs did a great job for the conditions and I couldn't be happier for his wife. First bow kill and it's a nice one.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Last edited by Steve_243; 10-19-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

pictures

pictures
            Attached Files

Comment

Thats awesome man and she sure looks happy!! That smile makes it all worth it. Nice work by the dogs and cant wait till spring! How did Boudin do?
              Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 10-19-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

My 12 week old pup found her 1st one.

Not a difficult track, about 100 yards..

She likes it!!

Comment

nice!

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                    My 12 week old pup found her 1st one.

Not a difficult track, about 100 yards..

She likes it!!

That's awesome DJ. I hope you hosed her off before the ride home.

Comment

Congrats on this weekends tracks!

Comment

Nah

She came home like a warrior.

She did however get a good bath when we got to the house!!

Comment

Nice job steve. Wish we would had the same luck. My doe was spined and was DRT so no track. And my father in laws deer was never recovered. Jenna kept taking me to open pasture and then circling back. The old man is sure the buck did not go out there. He was also sure there was no blood on his bolt, which I smelt and for sure had blood on it, he was also sure there was no blood out there, which jenna drug me to blood down a path that he was sure the buck did not go...... We were even able to locate a dog with in 20 min from us who was willing to come out. The old man is sure it was a belly shot and only winged the buck after shooting his cross bow back at the house and it hitting low. We searched for most of the day and only found the puddles in the beginning that jenna found right away. Man I wish he would let the other dog come out so I would know if jenna was right about the buck going to the open pasture.

Comment

Little pup training

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              I'm not against using blood. Blood puts off scent and that's what the dog is after. I would encourage you to use other scents from time to time.
                              With my young pups,as they advance, I only drip blood from a hide and back legs. I believe it makes them pick up all of the scents of a wounded deer. By the time they are really doing well, I will age the track for 12 hours with only 4 ounces of blood.800 yards minimum. We worked up to 24 hour tracks. Most of the blood is at the beginning and the end of a trail (with the hide). The bulk of the track is done finding the hide and hoof scent with very little blood. I've done it with rubber boots, on a golf cart, and horseback. Those dogs can sniff out where you've been so the absolute best way to practice is on a real track. I learned from some of the best and some of the best dogs, and I still screwed up the first time I trained one (shes good; but not as good as the others). It's alot of hard work and patience. Learning from another dog on real tracks is priceless. Mocks are really good for introducing what the dogs job will be, and they will enjoy it. Mine have found many deer now so it's not as exciting for them. They know when it's just for fun or practice. Sometimes I'll run a mock at a buddies ranch to make it feel a little more real. As mentioned earlier, having your buddies call you when they shoot one, regardless of the outcome of the shot, to let your dog work a track and "find" a deer is good practice. Good Luck! I'm in the Hill Country if you need me. CG

Comment

heres mine

heres one for the books for 2014 for me. got pups i need to keep going but this one was to much for them pups so had to call out ol' faithful!!
                                congrats to all the dogs and handlers on their recoveries!
                                im in henderson counties and sourroundings and not afraid to travel

Click image for larger version

Name:	deer find 2014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24338615

Comment

Working...
                                X