Surf/Bay fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf/Bay fishing

I am wanting to take my 10 yr old son salt water fishing. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole but maybe just ideas on which areas to go or not go. I use to fish down at the surf almost every weekend for many Years when not hunting but haven’t now in years. And between the new development and storms I’m not sure what is left of my old areas. Piers are gone and houses have went up in other areas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Boat or wade?

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
      Boat or wade?
      Wade or pier .

Comment

me personally i would just go fishing on the beach or get to Surfside Jetty. The Jeffy holds lots of fish over various types. The beach also but it is a lot less work then the jetty. I have gotten lazier as i get older and i like the ability to pull up and just fish right next to my SUV.

Comment

The surf access hasn't really changed much. The places you used to go are probably still accessible. I like to fish east of SLP.

Comment

I use to fish a lot down near SLP vicinity of the big water tower and believe the bait shop was the Rusty Hook .

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
              I use to fish a lot down near SLP vicinity of the big water tower and believe the bait shop was the Rusty Hook .
              Good old rusty hook. You can probably still wade the Bay Harbor flats (which are behind Rusty Hook) We had a house over there growing up and use to catch a lot of flounder and reds over there.

Comment

Hey Brad I sent you a PM

Comment

You can go wade fish in the bolivar pocket (Just north of the Galveston North Jetty). Its always hit or miss, but make sure you check your tide chart and try to fish an incoming tide if possible. Early Morning or late afternoon is usually best. Cant beat a live shrimp under a popping cork (youll definitely catch SOMETHING this way). Or you can throw silver/gold spoons or soft plastics if you would rather cover more water and target better fish specifically. Use a long stringer and make it easily removable from your person. Learned that the hard way once when a shark took my biggest trout from me and I went on a ride with it for a few seconds! Good luck!

Comment

Surf. Has been good lately. Check out gtownsurf.com for conditions. Hard to beat live shrimp under a popping cork this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                    X