Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rabbit recipes?

Need some good wild rabbit recipes

I enjoy them fried. Clean the rabbits and then split them down the center of the back and cut each side in half. to remove the "gamey" flavor you can soak them overnite in saltwater in the refrigerator. It pulls the blood out of the meat, kind of like koshering.
    dip them in milk and roll em in flower. Cook to a golden brown. serve with mashed potatos and cream gravy. ENJOY

Comment

Brining out the German in me. Used to have a old german restaurant in my home town that had Hassenpfeffer that was to die for.

You might want to google it for some recipes if you want fall of the bone good rabbit.

I am planning on hunting up a few rabbits myself this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
        I enjoy them fried. Clean the rabbits and then split them down the center of the back and cut each side in half. to remove the "gamey" flavor you can soak them overnite in saltwater in the refrigerator. It pulls the blood out of the meat, kind of like koshering.
        dip them in milk and roll em in flower. Cook to a golden brown. serve with mashed potatos and cream gravy. ENJOY
        It's hard to beat that one, Dawgkllr, I grew up on that one. Here is one I've been meaning to try.
        Fry up 8 pieces of bacon and set aside. Leave 2 or 3 tblsps bacon fat in skillet. Salt and pepper your rabbit pieces and lightly coat with flour. Add 2 tablesps butter to the bacon fat, Brown the rabbit well on all sides, remove and set aside. Add 1 cup red wine, 1 med. chopped onion, 1/4 cup brandy 1/4 cup applesause, 1 tablespn red wine vinegar, 1 tblesp Dijon mustard and 2 cloves of garlic to pan. Mix wellput the rabbit bac in.Bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down and simmer for 45 min. Turn the meat ever so often. Add the cooked bacon and some mushrooms. Cover again and simmer another 20 min.
        Last edited by Deb; 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Love me some Rabbit. I don't have anything fancy. We soak the rabbit after cleaning it in salt water. Shake some Tony Chachere's on it and put it on the grill. Sometimes I like to add butter and Chachere's to it and wrap it in foil on the grill.

Comment

You can boil the rabbits in water in a pot of water with a few chicken bullion cubes, couple carrots and some onion and celery stalks and after about an hour fish out the rabbit and the meat will be soft enough to take off the bone and rip into bite size pieces. Make some dumplings in a separate pot of boiling water. Add the dumplings to the broth, thicken with a can of cream of chicken soup and then add the meat. Your kids will think they are eating chicken and dumplings!

Comment

The best way to do it is to cut them up as you would quarter a deer and then fry them with a corn meal batter as you would fish. I love fired rabbit, especiaaly when we can buy some show rabbits after the county show. Fried rabbit or squirrel usually gets the whole family together for dinner.

Comment

Working...
              X