Strange Occurance- Protein feeder lid blew off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Occurance- Protein feeder lid blew off

We got to the ranch Friday afternoon & I went to check the feeder to see if I needed to make a run to the feed store. Came around the corner & the lid was laying on the ground a pretty good ways away with a big dent in it. This has a bar you have to slide in a piece of square tubing so it had to come up quite a bit to come off. We had a little sprinkling of rain, but luckily not enough to soak the feed . Crawled in the feeder & it seemed to be dry as far as I could get down into it. We were really stumped at what or how this happened. A look at the camera showed us later. Must have been a dust devil go right over it & suck the lid off. A new one to me.

ghosts for sure

Comment

You’d be surprised how strong a dust devil can be. Had one come across our pond last year, we had just gotten off the water. It literally pulled a pile of water 4-4.5’ high as it danced across the pond. I was darn glad it didn’t veer towards the dock I was standing on

Comment

That sucks. Great pic though!

Comment

That is a great pic.

Comment

I had that happen several times when I leased in Runnels Co. Corn feeders, not protein feeders. I started putting a big rock on top of them and that solved the problem.

Comment

That is a neat pic! But it doesn’t take a dust devil to blow a lid off a feeder. I put a big rock on top of mine now to keep it in place.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Very cool pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Our lids blow off pretty regular in Old Mexico if you don’t keep rocks on them. Cool pic.

Comment

Cool pic. Probably would've blown your hat off as well.

Comment

Had the very same thing happen but lid hit a Tee post and punched a hole in it. Protien got wet and was a mess to clean out.

Comment

Very cool pic!

Comment

Can’t find my pic, but the same thing happen. Lid was in the air spinning around. Pretty cool pics.

Comment

Pretty neat

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                              Had the very same thing happen but lid hit a Tee post and punched a hole in it. Protien got wet and was a mess to clean out.
                              About 10 years ago we had a severe storm (possible small tornado) come through a lease we had in Mills County. Pushed over some large trees and blinds, sucked the lid off my corn feeder that had just been filled a couple of weeks prior. We didn't know about it until we went back a month or so later. It was the nastiest, smelliest, mashup of rotten corn, maggots, and other worms you've ever seen. What made it worse was that it was in a valley with no breeze, in the middle of the summer. The stench would make a buzzard puke. My 5yo (at the time) was very unimpressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X