Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hunts with a .308?

Been a long time since I've shot one.

I know it's more than enough for TX. Just want to hear some likes and dislikes, some pointers, and general info you feel like sharing.

I shot my first deer with my dad's .308. Been looking to get my own soon. I'm tuned in.

Comment

I'm not sure there are any down sides to using a 308???? Its not a bow?

Comment

I've killed 4 critters this year with my .308 DD5. Within the normal ranges that most folks would hunt around here there really is no downside.... ammo is cheap and plentiful and plenty of juice for any animal in TX

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

No downside

Comment

I used a .25-06 this year, but used the .308 last year an killed a buck. One of my favorites.

Comment

Not bad if you don't plan to shoot real far.. Only .308 I have is an ar but I only use it to pig hunt and coyote hunt..

Comment

IS there any other caliber?? HEHEHEHHEHE

Comment

Love it. Versatile round. I have two I hunt with. It'll mess up a critter close. Had a pass thru on a pig that took a leg off.

Comment

Not to hijack, but other than action length and bullet selection, are there benefits to a 308 over 30-06?

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                      Not bad if you don't plan to shoot real far.. Only .308 I have is an ar but I only use it to pig hunt and coyote hunt..
                      huh? one of the better long range rounds available....

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                        huh? one of the better long range rounds available....
                        If I remember right I thought it looses quite a bit of energy past 300.. Punching paper would be different IMO..

Comment

20+ Tx WT and counting though I handload and have always shot mine on the fast end around 2800 fps. No issues, very accurate, low recoil. If you feel the need to hot rod it up... used the Hornady Superformance loads with SSTs this year and impressed so far. It runs about 3000 fps (verified with my chrono) depending on your barrel length - longer is better - with 150 grain bullet and is bad medicine. Take my 7mms and 300s with me, but usually grab the "little" .308 on the way to the stand. This year one DRT, one 15 yds and piled up.
                          Last edited by DRD; 12-30-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

My only hunting rifle... switched from a 30-06

Love my Savage.. Using it in the AM.

Comment

It's all I use it's harvested many of animals

Comment

Working...
                              X