No announcement yet.

Best Rifle for Nilgai, Elk, Aoudad, & Oryx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 30-06 re-barreled to 35 whelen mainly for Nilgai and bear. 225 gr Nosler Accubond at 2700+ fps should really put the smack down. 200 gr Federal Fusion sure put deer down quick with behind the shoulder shots. 300 win with 180-200 gr bonded bullets should work great also!

Comment

8mm Remington Magnum or a .340 Weatherby. Those are bigger animals often shot at longer ranges. Use something that makes a big hole and carries the mail downrange.

LWD

Comment

I have used a 300 RUM on all with good luck, have also used a 270 on elk, oryx and aoudad. All placement but I do prefer the larger big bore heavier bullet combo these days. I would start at 300 go up from there. Good luck.

Comment

People routinely kill these animals with archery equipment, that being said anything from 243 win and up will work with a well placed shot. If I was having a rifle built it would be the new 6.5 PRC or 338 ruger compact magnum. The RCM was designed for medium to large north american game.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            I'll say 338 win mag just because I want one for the heck of it. Honestly a hot rod 6.5 and up will be plenty but I know some outfitters put a minimum on Nilgai hunts. Lots of that is poor shots from people not understanding the vitals. A 270wsm would be right in there perfect if there were no mandated minimums IMO.

Agreed. Not sure why but I have wanted a .338 win mag or .375 h&h for several years now. Model 70 super grade in either of the above would be the perfect big game thumper and look good while doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              The best??? The best at what?

Hate to pop your bubble but there isn't any best.

You can chamber a rifle in 35 different calibers and each one would work just fine if you put the bullet in the vitals.

You might want to choose some parameters and go from there instead of making a blanket choice of "best".
              This speaks volumes... In order to correctly answer your question, your question has to have more information to go along with it. Your personal experiences and preferences to begin with, and if you hand load or not, how sensitive you are to recoil, whether you use a brake or suppressor, how far you are capable of shooting accurately... man the list just goes on. It doesn't really take a special or even a magnum rifle to take these animals, and there's a good chance that you may have plenty of rifle for the job. If you are wanting to build a rifle however, you may want to think about what possibilities it could be used for in the future. The choices are many.

Comment

I typically like simple.. I say 7mm

Comment

I know it is an unheard of, fairly hard to find caliber, but I would try a 30/06

Comment

I am a big Weatherby fan, so my vote would be the .30-378 WBY w/ a 180 grain Barnes.

Comment

338 WM or 340 WBY. That way, when you decide to expand your horizons to moose and grizzly bear, you have a great gun for that as well.

My 338 WM is my favorite gun to take out of the safe. Shooting 225 grain bullets at 3050 FPS, it will kill anything in NA, and quick! I like it so much, I took it to Alberta as my primary gun for a whitetail hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                        338 WM or 340 WBY. That way, when you decide to expand your horizons to moose and grizzly bear, you have a great gun for that as well.

My 338 WM is my favorite gun to take out of the safe. Shooting 225 grain bullets at 3050 FPS, it will kill anything in NA, and quick! I like it so much, I took it to Alberta as my primary gun for a whitetail hunt.
                        How are you getting a 338WM to greater speeds than a 340WBY?

Comment

I watched a ~550lb nilgai bull die in 25yds shot with a .264 Win Mag. I shot my nilgai bull (about 435lb) with a .300Wby 180gr. and he went 4 feet...all sticking straight up in the air. My buddy shot his (closer to 600lb) with it also and dropped him too.

I shot my aoudad with my .264 mag, and he got 40yds closer before he quit rolling.

I think the 7mm Weatherby Mag is super impressive for your purpose, .28 Nosler would be cool too.....but I'd hunt them all with the .264 Mag. 280AI if you reload...

Comment

Use what your comfortable with ...within reason of course...they are animals not freight trains..no matter how tough someone will say they are.

Comment

Just to throw another option in the pile, I bought a Kimber Montana chambered in .338 Federal for similar purposes. This combo topped with a Leupold 2.5-8 scope weighs in around 6 pounds. We stalked Nilgai last January for a couple of miles and it was a joy to carry. One shot dropped my bull in his tracks.

There were not a lot of rifles chambering the .338 Federal when I put mine together about 10 years ago. The stock design of the Kimber tames the recoil really well so even shooting it off the bench is not a punishment.

I acknowledge that it is not a super long range round, but stalking in to 300 yards or less is a lot of the fun of a hunt.

T

Comment

Hmmm.....

I'm a big 7 Mag fan, both RSAUM and 7mm RM. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any of those animals with the 7 MM. However, if I wanted a new gun for chasing those critters I'd get a .338 Win mag. and shoot 200 gr. Accubonds, Partitions or Barnes TTSX.

Comment

Working...
                                X