No announcement yet.

CFB Playoff/Bowl Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$5M is a rounding error. Who cares what he makes? Win, or hit the road. He's got two more years to do so.

Comment

CFB Playoff/Bowl Thread

Misfire

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
        $5M is a rounding error. Who cares what he makes? Win, or hit the road. He's got two more years to do so.
        Agree............in 2 years.

Problem is $20MM isn't a rounding error. I don't think you should fire Sumlin but I also don't think you have a choice. Most termination penalties are paid over time. The powers that be that negotiated Sumlins contract agreed to pay the entire buyout lump sum within 60 days of termination. That, plus the salary ($5MM plus) for a new HC, plus a $485MM stadium adds up to a LOT of money.

Comment

#whosnext?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Just curious if the Aggie Nation and it's supporters are pleased with their Return on Invest at HC . Sumlin is the second highest paid coach in the SEC making $5,000,000 per year.

IMO, Johnny Football put the "hype" back into the program as Sumlin was just in the right place at the right time. Excluding the miracle season in 2012 which nobody saw coming ,here are results from Sumlin's last 3 years

2013 : 9-4 overall , 4-4 in the SEC, and T-7th in the SEC
            2014: 8-5 overall, 3-5 in the SEC, and T-9th in the SEC
            2015 : 8-4 overall, 4-4 in the SEC, and T-8th in the SEC

at what point does paying a HC $5M per year and not competing for Conference and National Championships get old ?
            He's got one more year...max.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
              You know boss, I don't know. I am working on 4 hours of sleep, and leaving work in a few minutes to begin a 4 hour journey to East Texas for Carnathan Christmas. My Paw-Paw used to say that you could "dazzle them with brilliance" or "baffle them with BS!!!" I have been a baffler most of my life!!!

Like I said in my previous post, Logan is probably headed to College Station so I'll be paying for an Aggie Education, which I am cool with. I was just trying to determine if everyone (Aggies) really thought Sumln was the problem, a talent problem, or just an over-reaction by the fan base?

If you feel Sumlin is the real problem, who is the fix? If you need a new HC, what makes you think Herman is the right guy? Based on the names listed above, none of those guys who left "Cougar High" have accomplished anything, short of Briles. He is the only guy listed to win a Conference Championship. What makes us so sure Herman is the next big thing, and not a flop at the next level, Power 5 school? We won't know until he tries it, but I think he'll be successful where ever goes. This seems to be an epidemic at every school, lets just throw money at it. Let's hire the hot name, the OC / DC, and I wonder all along if it truly is a Coaching problem. Being at UH, we are the stepping stone for guys, like the ones mentioned above, so you sorta have to take what you get.

Lastly, I was trying to establish what the expectations are for the program at TAMU, heck any program. Is 10 wins a year and a conference Title every 3 to 5 years enough? All this talk of being right there, and positioning themselves to compete for a Natty, I'll agree with, but the fact is they haven't been close in 4 years in the SEC. Heck this was supposed to be the year, started 5-0 and finished 3-4. Not bashing, I just want to know what, besides a Natty, will appease the fan base? To say Natty or Bust at TAMU, in my opinion, is a bit premature. They haven't done it yet, they aren't returning to National Prominence, they weren't ever prominent.

If Herman ends up in College Station, you Ags will pick-up a fan and I don't know what %er I would be, but I would certainly root for success. He is a heckuva football coach, but seems to be a better man, and these kids down here in Houston absolutely LOVE him. He's the best one we have had, that I can remember. I don't know Herman, and I have no clue what he is thinking, but I think he played this year perfectly, and he'll be the most wanted man in College Football after next season, and no amount of money will keep him on Cullen. The allure of the Power 5 and the real chance of making the CFB Playoff will ultimately win out, and while the Cougar Fans, who mostly showed up this year, will be upset and call him a liar and a traitor, he is progressing his career. He has done more in 12 months, for our program, than others have done in the last 3 decades. For the first time I can remember, people and not just alums, are wearing Red and it is really neat to see.

UH beat Louisville this year, you guys should handle them.
              Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Natty or bust is a moronic outlook at ANY program...even Bama.

The ags tenure in the sec seems to have gone backwards. If you reverse the 4 years records, I would have to think everyone there is pretty thrilled. JM brought too much too fast and everyone freaked out with expectations. I don't think much of Sumlin myself, but the guy hasn't been a HC that long,and the first couple years at atm were kind of the ultimate honeymoon. To quit on anyone that quick, with all those expectations, is a bit premature to me....but he sure needs to think about how he manages those qbs, he could have really screwed up Allen.
              I don't think it's accurate or fair to say that "this was supposed to be the year.." for A&M. By almost all accounts, A&M was predicted to finish at or near the bottom of the division. Obviously with LSU and Auburn down, by their expectations, it was disappointing to not finish higher than we did.

I think JM jumpstarted the program, while at the same time accelerating expectations. I've been consistent, from season one through pre-LSU analysis, of pointing out that I STILL think the program is ahead of pre-SEC expectations from fans, and certainly those outside the program that thought it would relegate us to perennial SEC bottom-dweller status right along with Vandy and Kentucky. It's easy to look at the records from 2012 through this year and make the claim that the program is in decline, but I honestly don't think that's an accurate or fair assessment. Yes, there have been plenty of setbacks since the 2012 season - discipline issues, players not panning out, graduations, leaving early for draft, coordinator/coach problems, youth, etc. - but the bulk of the talent/depth are underclassmen this season (recruit/discipline issues). There is SIGNIFICANTLY more depth of talent (and maturity) ending 2015 than there was going into 2013.

Recruiting is consistently high, support ($ and fan) is higher than ever, facilities are largely unrivaled, stadium is top of the line. If there is any issue, it would obviously be coaching related.

I think coaching (and QB) stability is key to consistent success. A&M has lacked that with coordinators and QBs. I think you have to ride with Sumlin in hopes he can continue correcting things. He was a largely inexperienced coach coming in to A&M (as Herman would be). Changing HC now would be a HUGE setback.

I think it's realistic expectation for A&M to compete for division titles. By default, winning the West puts you in position to win the SEC, which naturally puts that team in positon to compete for Natty. I consider "competing" for the division to be having a realistic opportunity to win against the Bamas, Auburns and LSU's while consistently beating the Mississippi's, Arkansas and most of the teams in the East.

Unfortunately, Bama shows no sign of coming back to the pack.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                #whosnext?
                Looks like the Bama QB is flipping next

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Get Right View Post
                  Looks like the Bama QB is flipping next
                  Barnett is gone?

Comment

CFB Playoff/Bowl Thread

@SportsTalkwBo: Brown: There’s a $20M buyout for Sumlin, and I’m told Sharp is going to try and cut that in half or fire Sumlin for cause.

@SportsTalkwBo: Brown: I’m told today that a decision to terminate Sumlin’s contract could also include a decision to get rid of the AD Eric Hyman.

Comment

Originally posted by 15ncs View Post
                      Barnett is gone?
                      Not to worry. I doubt it turns into a three ring circus. I'm sure there is another one out there would gladly step in.

>E

Comment

I don't think you can give a "win the Natty or you're out" proclamation for Sumlin for 2016, or beyond. I do think they need to be in a position to win the division in late November, and if they have a loss, it needs to have been a competitive game. I also think they HAVE to win against LSU at Kyle.

Defense needs to be improved, if not dominant. The offense needs to be FIXED, even absent a dynamic QB or passer. Sumlin needs to be more transparent...or at least more consistent with how he handles injury, player issues and the media.

Fortunately, it's not unrealistic for any/all of those expectations to become a reality next season, IMO.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

CFB Playoff/Bowl Thread

Originally posted by Chad C
                          Sharing homie

****it Chad, would you stop reading words!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                            @SportsTalkwBo: Brown: There’s a $20M buyout for Sumlin, and I’m told Sharp is going to try and cut that in half or fire Sumlin for cause.

@SportsTalkwBo: Brown: I’m told today that a decision to terminate Sumlin’s contract could also include a decision to get rid of the AD Eric Hyman.
                            It's on Twitter. Must be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post

Ok, I've heard that a few times.

What has Sumlin done that they could fire him for cause? I remember something about public drunkenness a while back, but that could just have been internet BS. Has he allegedly done something that was in violation of his contract?

Comment

Equal opportunity

@AlexDunlapNFL: Welp, Texas Monthly Headline: "Is There An Internal Struggle To Oust Charlie Strong?" https://t.co/ctRx9j5OuG

Comment

Working...
                                X