Teal Decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal Decoys

come Saturday morning, what are you going to be throwing out in front of you? Teal, mallard hens, all greenheads, woodies, or everything you got?

I usually skip the teal dekes. I just use regular decoys. My spread is typically a dozen mixed widgeon and gadwall with a dove spinner. Teal don't really seem to care as long as they see something sitting on the water....

Comment

^^^ x2

Comment

Teal don't care, but I put out teal decoys because they're smaller, lighter and easier to carry and I can haul more of them. I'm young enough to still hunt marsh, but old enough to do it smartly.

Comment

Just like with all duck hunting, being where they want to be is 10x more important than number/ species/ style of decoys.

Comment

First reply nailed it. I use teal decoys just because I have them but it doesn't matter, and a mojo dove is poison on early teal. Also, unlike hunting big ducks, more hunters on the water is better imo. This depends a lot on where you hunt, but it sure seems to help keep them in the air instead of all rafted up together a few coves away.... and pulling every new flight right to them.

So don't be discouraged if you get beat to a spot. Just find another and sit tight. Can't believe it's here already! Good Luck!!

Comment

Wigeon, teal, and pintails with a jerk string and mojo. I also like to throw some Canada floaters out to try and smack some of the locals in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                Just like with all duck hunting, being where they want to be is 10x more important than number/ species/ style of decoys.
                Agreed.

Comment

Bump for the night crew. I'm curious

Comment

Teal, but just because I have them. Any deks will work on them. As said above couple mojos and its lights out.

Comment

I use the same decoys every time I hunt. A dozen mallards, 2 dozen if I'm in a field. We usually leave our decoys in the hole all season. I'm not ever a fan of messing with decoys, especially when it's cold!
                      Last edited by Razrbk89; 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Dove mojos and any decoys I have, good luck fellas it's here!

Comment

Gonna give this early teal season a whirl for the first time.. Does mojo size matter? Or will any size work?

Comment

Originally posted by JHR_OBU13 View Post
                            Gonna give this early teal season a whirl for the first time.. Does mojo size matter? Or will any size work?

Any size will work. It's more about being visible.

Comment

we usually hunt them and only use a dozen dekes and a mojo, heck, I have seen people limit out with nothing on the water but 2 mojos

Comment

Working...
                              X