12V Chicken Yard Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12V Chicken Yard Lights

I work away from home a little over half of the year and when I am home I end up doing projects to make my wife’s life a little easier...or I’m fishing/hunting.

This time it was lights so she can see in the chicken yard at night. We had a snake in there a couple times while I was away. Well, I could either trench and run 110 power out there or something a little easier.

I looked on Amazon and found these 12V/10W LED lights for about $10 each. And also a waterproof switch. I installed two today hooked up directly to a feeder battery. Will add a solar panel in the next day or so, need to fab a frame to secure it.

Will take pics tonight once it gets dark.

I’ve got these all around my shop and they work great. Easy install....no batteries involved.

Comment

If you don’t have a charge controller between the solar panel and the battery then put one in. It will keep the solar panel from draining the battery. I think they cost about $12 from eBay.

Comment

Nice and bright.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          If you don’t have a charge controller between the solar panel and the battery then put one in. It will keep the solar panel from draining the battery. I think they cost about $12 from eBay.
          Yep, have one for it. I haven’t been using them on my Spartan trail camera set ups, but those cameras really consume the battery each day and night. I figured I needed it on this as it won’t get used that much.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            I’ve got these all around my shop and they work great. Easy install....no batteries involved.
            http://www.aootek.com/product-54.html
            Those are good, I just wanted something that was on a switch instead of motion activated.

Comment

Those lights are bright but they will drain a feeder battery in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I believe he put it on a switch so if you don't leave them on i bet it'll last quite awhile.

OP- you should leave them on and see how long it will last. I wanna do something like this at my barn.

Comment

Could you drop a items list???

Comment

Lights
                    GLW 10w 12v Ac or Dc Warm White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XZAQDU...p_mob_ap_share

Switch
                    Yak-Power YP-ILS16 Waterproof... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZRX6PK...p_mob_ap_share

Solar charger controller
                    5A Waterproof Solar Charge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTQ76WW...p_mob_ap_share

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

The reviews say they draw almost nothing maybe 6 or 7 watts, but as another person suggested, they won’t ever be on for more than a few minutes.
                      Last edited by JES; 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Got a couple of questions on your Coop. Where did you find the net you have Covering the top ? And where did you find the feeder you are using ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          Got a couple of questions on your Coop. Where did you find the net you have Covering the top ? And where did you find the feeder you are using ?
                          I think we got the net from Lowe’s, it’s just bird netting, keep the hawks out. I used kevlar twine to support it from end to end.

Let me look and see if I can find where I got the feeder, online somewhere.

This isn't where I bought mine, but this is it:
                          The internal handle allows you to control feed flow and hang the feeder. Also supplied with push-fit legs that elevate the feeder off the ground.
                          Last edited by JES; 09-13-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            I think we got the net from Lowe’s, it’s just bird netting, keep the hawks out. I used kevlar twine to support it from end to end.

Let me look and see if I can find where I got the feeder, online somewhere.

This isn't where I bought mine, but this is it:
                            https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/h...th-grill-26-lb

Thank will look for them .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              Thank will look for them .
                              This is the kevlar twine:

emma kites 100% Braided Kevlar String 100ft 200lb High Tensile Option High Tensile for Outdoor Activities, Tactical, Survival and Other General Purpos https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07283VX4D..._5PZlnWfDXD8sn

Comment

Working...
                              X