Brace Height Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brace Height Question

So I’m working on building my first bow using a Bingham kit. I’ve made the limbs and when I installed the string, the brace height is measuring 12”. It measures 55-1/4” between string grooves when unstrung. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give Tony Pic (on here ) a pm All he shoots is Trad and he’s a super guy!

Comment

How long is the string?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The string is 53-3/4”.

Comment

Interesting. Can you post a picture of the bow unstrung?
          Last edited by Bjankowski; 08-23-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Unstrung. The instructions call for a “brace height” with the unfinished riser to be 10-1/4” to 10-1/2”.

Comment

Are you sure you measured your limb pad angles correctly they look way too deflexed to me.

Comment

I’m not sure. All I can say is that I used the provided template from the kit to cut the riser block from. I’m away from the house at the moment, but will check it again when I return. They are supposed to be 21* if I remember correctly.

Thanks,
                Skooter

Comment

Your string is to short .
                  Measure the length of the bow from string groove to string groove following the profile of the limbs and risers on the back of the bow.
                  “Most” recurves require a string 3-4” shorter than the total length.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                    Your string is to short .
                    Measure the length of the bow from string groove to string groove following the profile of the limbs and risers on the back of the bow.
                    “Most” recurves require a string 3-4” shorter than the total length.

I agree with this as well but even with the proper string when that riser handle is shaped I think the brace will be 13 or more to the deepest part of the grip. Hard to say with pics but none of my bows even my super mag have limbs that backset

Comment

This is the riser template I’m using

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                        Are you sure you measured your limb pad angles correctly they look way too deflexed to me.

Lots of deflex.. but then again, I'm not a boyer. Just looks like way too much to me.
                        I have an old 1970 Herters 72" AMO calls for 10" brace height.. Shoots like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post

That's what it looks like.

Comment

This is where you will measure your brace height from. Be sure to take in account the curvature of the limbs when measuring nock to nock. The way you describe it the string should be too long but it looks too short. I haven’t built any three piece bows so I’m not a lot of help but simple basics should apply. If you are measuring from the back of the bow(front), then you may be close if the design calls for 10”. Good luck and it’s lookin good so far.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	C41F9183-9372-4965-9B21-FE72DB5E854D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	24628540

Comment

Re-measuring the length of the limbs from groove to groove - along the path of the limbs - the length is 60”, so I think I’m closer than I thought.

I called Bingham’s customer service, and they said it wasn’t anything to worry about at this point.

Skooter

Comment

Working...
                              X