3D print much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D print much?

I did a quick search and saw that a few of yall do 3D printing. I've done quite a bit of printing the past 7 years or so. Most of what I do is random or one off stuff, but I'm always looking for new challenges.

A couple months ago I printed off some stuff I found online that was a stock for a ruger 10/22 and an AR15 compatible stock with adjustable butt and cheek riser.

If yall have any ideas for cool stuff to print let me know. Or if you have an idea for something custom or unique, I can do the design work too. Once I get the ability to post pictures and/or links I'll add some of my previous stuff here.

What design program do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
      What design program do you use?
      Solidworks. I bought a license a few years back.

Comment

Nice!
        I run AutoCAD 2016, SolidWorks 16, and Chief Architect x8

Comment

I think there is money to be made printing Indian artifacts for study

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Do tell....

Comment

I think there is some online plans to print face shields for use against Covid 1st responders .

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                Nice!
                I run AutoCAD 2016, SolidWorks 16, and Chief Architect x8
                Most of my professional experience is in Catia V5, but that's a prohibitively expensive program to use for anything other than aerospace and automotive, haha.

I think there is some online plans to print face shields for use against Covid 1st responders .
                There are a bunch actually; some are really neat and well designed. I was contacted about making some when they first started talking about lockdowns a couple months back. I must have offended them though. I'm not sure what I did, but I think it was either asking them to pay for my material cost or pointing out that in the time it would take for me to make 9 of them they could cut a mold and pump out hundreds or thousands an hour. As if 75 cents worth of plastic per mask is going to put a freakin hospital or carenow out of business. They're probably getting a few hundred bucks just for someone to come in and take a test.

Yes, do tell. To quote my favorite Mike Judge movie, "I like money".

Comment

Here's a link to a cool firearm related thing I printed a while back. It's pretty stout and I'm not worried at all about it falling apart. I took it with me to a gun show to try and find a used Ruger 10/22 and got a lot of attention.

Incidentally, if you have or know someone that has a Ruger 10/22 that they want to get rid of, feel free to let me know. Especially if the stock needs to be replaced haha.

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:762643

Comment

They printed out some plastic door opening handles here at the shop. You use it to hook the door handles so you don't have to touch them and get cooties.

Comment

Id pay a pretty good amount for a vehicle ac vent adapter that you could put over the ac vent or clip on to the ac vent in your vehicle and attach it to a section of vacuum hose to have a direct coolant line on the "boys".

That's been one of my million dollar ideas, think a 3-d printer could make something pretty cheap that would sell pretty good for a lot of people in warmer areas.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                        Id pay a pretty good amount for a vehicle ac vent adapter that you could put over the ac vent or clip on to the ac vent in your vehicle and attach it to a section of vacuum hose to have a direct coolant line on the "boys".

That's been one of my million dollar ideas, think a 3-d printer could make something pretty cheap that would sell pretty good for a lot of people in warmer areas.

Jason Slocum
                        Little late on that. My wife bought one about 7 years ago

Noggle is an air conditioning extension for your car. We route the cold or warm air to your kids or pets to keep them cool in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                          Little late on that. My wife bought one about 7 years ago

https://nogglenation.com/
                          I think he meant the other "boys".....the ones that ride on the driver seat with the dude behind the wheel!

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                            I think he meant the other "boys".....the ones that ride on the driver seat with the dude behind the wheel!

cricman
                            Yes, to both actually. Currently sitting in an L&D room waiting on our first son!

I'd also be tempted to shove it down my Chippewa snake boots after wearing them all day in the South Texas heat.

I convinced the wife to get one for the new addition, and can try/use it for the other "boys" when I'm riding solo.

Still think there could be a better design than the noggle, I can zip tie a vacuum hose to the ac vent for a lot less money than the $40 noggle.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post

Jason Slocum
                              My 97 Chevy has a built in vent right below the steering column. Feels like a cool Caribbean breeze right on the scrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X