2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Going to start an official thread for tips, maps, and rules for the 2020-2021 season.

Question most of us with have:
    Stand type:
    Are the box stands usable for archery:
    Best compartments:
    Are compartments shared:

Hotel rooms are cheap right now (sub $100). I would book earlier if you have that option available.

Comment

We’ll be there 12/8-12/11. Plan on camping out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So much to talk about and I'm not even drawn....but I do still have that chance much like Lloyd did.

I opt for the hotel route as they're cheap and I get better sleep which means better hunting. Not a nessitity but a niciety. I pack a lunch and stay out all day. I may come to the HQ for a break but no need for a town trip.

Scout hard and run cameras while there even if it means not hunting your first afternoon and possibly the morning other than stands already in place. Run about 50-100 yards the first evening with the camera then reduce it by half then just what the camera can detect.

Take some tips from the guys who do the live hunts at the Lincoln ranch. Pit blinds off the sendero are often the best way to fool a narly old buck. They rarely come out on the senderos and its nearly impossible to completely hide a tent blind on most of the place. Short or adjustable tri-pods are a great option. I have one that will go from 6 to 12 feet.

Don't fool yourself, these deer are hunted hard and are smart for it. You have to hunt them like a bow only day lease unless the rut is in action.

When scouting try to find where 2 or 3 active trails merge to form a highway.

Don't corn to heavily, it's tempting but the deer will be out all night eating plus you run the chance of stink pigs homesteading. If rifle hunting and corning long senderos a road chummer is a great asset here. I also set up where a sendero crosses or forms a T so that I can corn as far as I can shoot if rifle hunting.

Still holding out for management and trophy rifle but lets be real.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200824-132455_Google.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	24628580

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SorryImTexan View Post
          We’ll be there 12/8-12/11. Plan on camping out

I'll be out there the same week. I'm usually something that says LSU on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
            So much to talk about and I'm not even drawn....but I do still have that chance much like Lloyd did.

I opt for the hotel route as they're cheap and I get better sleep which means better hunting. Not a nessitity but a niciety. I pack a lunch and stay out all day. I may come to the HQ for a break but no need for a town trip.

Scout hard and run cameras while there even if it means not hunting your first afternoon and possibly the morning other than stands already in place. Run about 50-100 yards the first evening with the camera then reduce it by half then just what the camera can detect.

Take some tips from the guys who do the live hunts at the Lincoln ranch. Pit blinds off the sendero are often the best way to fool a narly old buck. They rarely come out on the senderos and its nearly impossible to completely hide a tent blind on most of the place. Short or adjustable tri-pods are a great option. I have one that will go from 6 to 12 feet.

Don't fool yourself, these deer are hunted hard and are smart for it. You have to hunt them like a bow only day lease unless the rut is in action.

When scouting try to find where 2 or 3 active trails merge to form a highway.

Don't corn to heavily, it's tempting but the deer will be out all night eating plus you run the chance of stink pigs homesteading. If rifle hunting and corning long senderos a road chummer is a great asset here. I also set up where a sendero crosses or forms a T so that I can corn as far as I can shoot if rifle hunting.

Still holding out for management and trophy rifle but lets be real.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
            I will probably set up two areas. One with a tripod or supplied blind and the other brushed in. Hunt one for two days and the other for two days. I've found that staying in one area can be counter productive for more than two days.

I'm also an all day hunter and might take a hour break. I've found that most the big deer are lazy and move around 9-noon and then at dark. If rut is on, I will probably look for a high concentration of does.

Comment

I’ve hunted South Texas for 40 or so years. When I get to a new place. The first thing I look for is the spot where I can see the longest distance. Hopefully where two senderos cross. And hopefully one at least a mile long. I corn each direction as far as I can see. Then set up at the center and pull out my spotting scope.

I’ll stay there until I find a shooter buck. Then I’ll either move in and try to shoot him or set up a tripod in the area he was spotted. Finding a buck is the most important thing to do when time is limited. It beats stumbling around hoping for blind luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be there 12/8

Comment

We will also be out 12/8. Looks like a few 3/4 TBH’s so far. 9 points for us.

Comment

My son and I will be there 11/21 for his meat hunt. I'm pretty excited for him. It sounds like we arrived Friday and check in around 11. So we only get to hunt that evening and Saturday. Hoping I can find him a doe or spike.

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
                      My son and I will be there 11/21 for his meat hunt. I'm pretty excited for him. It sounds like we arrived Friday and check in around 11. So we only get to hunt that evening and Saturday. Hoping I can find him a doe or spike.
                      I did this hunt three times with my son. Twice by stand-by and once by draw. The most important thing to have is a truck load of patience on these hunts. Standby is very popular now and the TPWD staff will do everything possible to accommodate as many hunters as possible. I never saw them turn a kid away. Drawn hunters didn't get any kind of privilege over standby's. The paperwork and compartment assignments take some serious time.

The first year was awesome. We saw deer and javi every sit. He took a doe on that hunt before a very dense fog bank engulfed us.

Year two was a total bust. We drew Ano Nuevo and nothing ate our corn for three days. NOTHING. Do deer, no javi. It was cold, wet and miserable. We hunted super hard and it was simply a tough weekend. There was a cold, steady rain on the second night and we were tent camped in the RV section. We set the tent under a shelter and added a tarp blocking most of the blowing rain. I woke up in the middle of the night to find a river of water flowing into our tent. My bag was soaked. I slid him to higher ground inside the tent.

Third year we were placed in a small section that didn;t have much activity. We saw deer once and no javi.

It's always great to be at the Chap.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                        I did this hunt three times with my son. Twice by stand-by and once by draw. The most important thing to have is a truck load of patience on these hunts. Standby is very popular now and the TPWD staff will do everything possible to accommodate as many hunters as possible. I never saw them turn a kid away. Drawn hunters didn't get any kind of privilege over standby's. The paperwork and compartment assignments take some serious time.

The first year was awesome. We saw deer and javi every sit. He took a doe on that hunt before a very dense fog bank engulfed us.

Year two was a total bust. We drew Ano Nuevo and nothing ate our corn for three days. NOTHING. Do deer, no javi. It was cold, wet and miserable. We hunted super hard and it was simply a tough weekend. There was a cold, steady rain on the second night and we were tent camped in the RV section. We set the tent under a shelter and added a tarp blocking most of the blowing rain. I woke up in the middle of the night to find a river of water flowing into our tent. My bag was soaked. I slid him to higher ground inside the tent.

Third year we were placed in a small section that didn;t have much activity. We saw deer once and no javi.

It's always great to be at the Chap.
                        Thank you for the info. Were gonna make the best of it. I'm excited to just spend the hunt with my son. Really excited. Hopefully it will work out. But if not. I know we will make memories that will last.

Comment

My daughter drew A/S for 11/7-8.

I went last year on the Archery hunt. Will use my little experience from last year to hopefully help her hunt go a little smoother...

Comment

We went 5 or 6 years ago and were able to rent what amounted to a small mobile home that had 2 bedrooms with two beds in each in Cotulla. It was like $100 a night, so the 4 of us had a really comfortable stay for a really good price. I can’t remember the name of the place, but they had a whole compound of them for rent for all of the oilfield workers. Might be worth a google

Comment

Ordering some camo netting for a ground blind. Does Dry Grass camo sound about right for December. It is a mix of tans, brown, and a little green.

Comment

Working...
                              X