20-21 Bois De Arc Caddo National Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20-21 Bois De Arc Caddo National Grasslands

Well guys I will be hunting #901 North pretty hard this year, I haven't seen a thread specifically for Bois D'Arc yet so I figured I would get one rolling. Anyone else going to be up there this year?
    Last edited by firemedic731; 09-16-2020, 07:07 AM.

I'll be up there in late season. Good luck on the season

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a lot of post season scouting last year, I found what I believe are some pretty promising spots for this season, I'm excited to get out there. Ill be out there opening week for sure with my new saddle. I was disappointed to see a few piles of corn, powdered rows of rage/crush and a mineral block though, and some permanent screw in stand locations... hope this isn't any of you guys on here!

Comment

I'll be in and out between there and the Ladonia unit.

Comment

I haven't been to Ladonia yet, but I have been scouting the topo and aerial maps with on X and have a few spots iv been meaning to get boots on the ground in.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
            I did a lot of post season scouting last year, I found what I believe are some pretty promising spots for this season, I'm excited to get out there. Ill be out there opening week for sure with my new saddle. I was disappointed to see a few piles of corn, powdered rows of rage/crush and a mineral block though, and some permanent screw in stand locations... hope this isn't any of you guys on here!
            I hadn't hunted deer there in a long time but found a great area while turkey hunting. I won't hunt it until the tail end of the season

Comment

This is inevitable on public land. Sad. I found many bait piles at LBJ and Caddo. Some hunters need to learn to take their stands with them as well when the leave.

Comment

They better than me, cause ain't leaving nothing on public land to be stolen or confiscated[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I haven't been to Ladonia yet, but I have been scouting the topo and aerial maps with on X and have a few spots iv been meaning to get boots on the ground in.
                  Not near as many deer there but there are some quality ones if you can get to them. The "feeder creeks" out there can be 30-40' deep. Makes for a great time trying to get one out lol

Comment

I've hunted/scouted there - when I compare it to other NFS lands - I think Caddo grasslands are kind of neglected (or it seems that way).

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                      I've hunted/scouted there - when I compare it to other NFS lands - I think Caddo grasslands are kind of neglected (or it seems that way).
                      Really. I mean the Forest Service has one full time employee working there to manage over 18,000 acres spread across Fannin County. The Caddo Grasslands are the forgotten red headed step child of Region 8 of the FS.

Imagine one guy trying to take care of an 18,00 acre ranch.

Comment

I was scouting 901N unit this past weekend. I too did some scouting late last season and believe I found some good spots. If you are looking for a quality place to eat after scouting or using the WMA, try Mudbones just in Bonham off 121. Burgers are fabulous

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer View Post
                          I was scouting 901N unit this past weekend. I too did some scouting late last season and believe I found some good spots. If you are looking for a quality place to eat after scouting or using the WMA, try Mudbones just in Bonham off 121. Burgers are fabulous

Thanks for the heads up, ill have to check it out. I keep saying im going to try that chuckwagon place on 78 and 1396 every time I go by but I never have.

Comment

Your post in the other Caddo thread has me thinking hard about Bois D'Arc and the 901 North Unit.

"So I called and talked to the guy who runs the harvest reporting, he said that the deer population is only like 1 deer per 157 acres. No does were harvested at all last season, and only 16 bucks were taken between Ladonia and Bois De Arc COMBINED. 9 of which were taken during rifle season opener and checked at the mandatory deer check stations in person. "

Were these statistics were from 2019/2020's whitetail season? If so, it sounds like 901 North is going to make for a trying season..

Comment

so what is the 901 unit? I was up there this past weekend scouting but have no idea of any of the unit numbers?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize the whole Bois D'Arc was 901N. I found a map with unit numbers, I was up in unit 19 off 2325. Wasn't impressed with the amount of deer sign I found, I covered about 3 miles and found mostly pig sign, and spotted 5 or 6 of them. If you want to shoot some pigs, that's a good spot.
                              Last edited by OrangeBlood; 09-22-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X