No announcement yet.

Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the guard fit and the tang threaded. I’m to the point now that I can’t progress without the copper melt. Pic is before I ground the tang and threaded it 8/32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Worked on a new technique that’ll be used on the smaller knife from this billet. I did some practice domed pins out of copper. This is what I intend to do with one of the harness decorations.

Comment

Just found this. Very cool. Keep it going!

Comment

Going to look up that FIF episode

Comment

So I mostly finished the small knife from these materials. I still lack melting the copper before I can finish the one this post is really about. So as not to clutter up this thread, here's a link to the videos from the small knife build.

I've been working on a couple of Texas history pieces. This is the smaller one. Knife is 1836 layer Damascus and includes nails from the house where the Mexicans met after the battle of San Jacinto. The handle has wood from the Sam Houston Oak, and brass domed pins from a harness decoration...

Comment

Very cool knife.

Comment

great work

Comment

Still stalled out on the copper casting. Goal is by a show first week of April, so we are still ok.

Comment

I'm still checking in on this project, can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                      I'm still checking in on this project, can't wait to see the finished product.
                      Me too

Comment

Why did you thread the tang 8-32? I'm not a knife maker, but I would think that is kind of small. Everything is looking good Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          Why did you thread the tang 8-32? I'm not a knife maker, but I would think that is kind of small. Everything is looking good Jason.
                          Belt and suspenders, lol. On a complex build, it's handy to be able to take the handle apart and back together a bunch of times. A threaded butt is one way to do that. In the end, you glue it all up with epoxy. That way you've got a mechanical fastener PLUS glue.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Wish I knew how to do this would be awesome
                              To know how to forge metal like that.

Comment

Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

I got the copper spacer cast by a jeweler with actual experience. Should be able to get back on this project in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Jason Fry; 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X