Any cotton seed studies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any cotton seed studies?

I have two large property neighbors that are interested in feeding cottonseed. One is trying to decide but would like to see some studies on how it affects antler growth and the overall deer herd health.

Any good reliable studies I can send his way?

Deer eat the **** out of it. Goes farther than corn IMO. We have feed for over 2 decades with no ill effects.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      Deer eat the **** out of it. Goes farther than corn IMO. We have feed for over 2 decades with no ill effects.
      I don't think he's worried about ill effects. He wants to see that it's worth the investment to start dropping another 2-4k in feed.

Comment

There’s a ton of info out there if you just type in a google search. Our deer will out eat it before any protein for way less money. Think this year we’re ditching the protein or at least making it optional and going strictly seed.

Comment

If you are feeding cotton seed in a wire basket does a good rain affect the consumption? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            If you are feeding cotton seed in a wire basket does a good rain affect the consumption? Just curious.
            no - we feed 50 tons a year and have for the past 6-7 years - deer wear it out - body weights are awesome - rain has never caused them to not eat it - post rut it is the best feed anyone could put out IMO

Comment

Before our deer got used to it, we actually had a lot of the stuff that was on the top and on the ground sprout and start growing about 3 inches when we got a strong rain. Once they figured out what it was, they wiped it all out pretty quick.

Comment

We have done 20+ years of WCS it is pricelessly awesome tool

Considering feeding cottonseed to deer as a supplement? Cottonseed for deer can work, but there are some things you need to know about cottonseed & deer first!

KINGSVILLE — Whole cottonseed has long been a go-to supplemental feed for white-tailed deer. However, one veterinarian researcher says more study is needed. That was the gist of the message offered by Dr. Clay Hilton, DVM, at the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute’s Deer Associates annual gathering here earlier this year. In addition to being a veterinarian, Hilton, who also has degrees in wildlife science, is the director of veterinary technology at Texas A&M University-Kingsville where he plays an

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-04-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

How many pounds and what’s the typical cost for the offseason. I’m thinking about putting a big tote feeder this year. I know it’ll vary depending on the amount of deer feeding but I want a general idea of what the cost is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by roygarcia54 View Post
                    How many pounds and what’s the typical cost for the offseason. I’m thinking about putting a big tote feeder this year. I know it’ll vary depending on the amount of deer feeding but I want a general idea of what the cost is

We feel that WCS should be fed year round, but the cost is about
                    $50-100 per feed station per month year round

Comment

We pay $130 per 1000lb tote. Fills 8 wire basket/feeders with about 150lbs leftover.

Comment

No...It's pretty dang waterproof. But if you have a huge surge in natural food source because of said rain, it could slow down consumption some.....but not because the seed got wet.

They just keep on mowing it down wet or dry . I know some folks that just dump it in their pen in a pile and the deer mow it down wet or dry. Some buy it in bulk on an 18 wheeler and dump it in a pile on the property, fence it off to keep the cows/goats out (if deer get in, its fine. That's what it is there for) and pull from it to fill their wire cages with no issues. No tarps either.

The deer would stomp a mudline around my tote feeder and some of the seed would be in that. They'd dig it out when the rest of the feeder was empty. The entire feedpen would be cottonseed free if they were hungry....

I've posted this "before and after" pic several times...but you can see how seed could get stomped in the rain/mud here. They got it all as you can see. I want to say that second was 1.5 months later right before I refilled it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	24638608

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I have read that it makes the bucks sterile if they eat it and can be bad if they eat it during the rut.

Is this a real thing?

J

Comment

Originally posted by roygarcia54 View Post

My big tote frame is holding 1200 lbs in my pic above (basically a truck bed to the rail full at the time). I have piled 1500 lbs in it. 1,000 pounds is probably a perfect fit without any overflow but like I said above, overflow is not bad. Its just extra feed. That being said, its hard to put a price on it until you get you gins per ton cost. The year above it was $169/ton in January and finished at $225-250 when the supply dwindled in May. They had a superb cotton crop that year and had a lot of seed so prices were down. Last year it was $250 from the start and I'm not sure what it finished at because it was higher than I wanted to pay..

So lets say you put 1,000 pounds in your tote. That's 1/2 ton so $125 per fill if its $250/ton. That would last me around 1.5 months with my large deer population. I fed it until May when the supply is gone so that's three fills. That comes to $375 per tote for me or $750 for both my pens. I like it better when its $169 a ton but I don't see that happening for awhile due to the LaNina setting in and its popularity amongst hunters growing.

Comment

Working...
                              X