Another tundra question ...bed length.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    Whats the deal with the fuel tank? I was reading that people don't really get 38 gallons in the 38 and the fuel light comes on with 20gallons left. This may have been an older issue though.
    Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    I have a 2013 and it has a 24 gallon tank, which sucks.

They changed to the 36-38 gallon tank in 2014 or 2015 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 they went from a 26gal to a 38gal in some trim models.
    SR5 & SR had 26 unless special ordered.
    The issue with the fuel light is due to the fuel pump design and how it sits in the bottom of the tank.
    At extreme angles and less than roughly 4 gallons in the take, there is the possibility of no gas getting to the pump.
    The light comes on when you reach this point.
    Under normal circumstances you can drive it until the needle is below E, and light been on for 30 minutes.
    Just Toyotas way of saying, " Hey, don't do some dumb$&i+ right now, get gas first".

I have a Tundra double, with a 8ft bed, and it's unbeatable for hauling crap.
    Rides good too
    Even with a 6.5, once you put a toolbox in it, you only have 4ft of bed left.
    Not much room for anything.
    2 big ice chest and your done.
    I like bed space though, and had to drive to Nebraska to get it.
    They seem to be more popular up North.

Comment

Gay rear window.. can’t say I have put much thought into that. I did however decide there is plenty of room in the back seat for two grown men the few times I have had passengers back there. I also wanted plenty of bed space even with a tool box which I do. It’s amazing how quick a few big coolers or some lumber take up a bed in a hurry and I needed a truck. Don’t get me wrong I love the thought and look of the crew as well but just not what I needed in a truck.

Comment

It’s actually a pretty cool feature.

I'm sure it has its good qualities.

Humper opened his last weekend while hauling water for the pens. Got to hear the trailer and hitch rattle much worse than it normally sounds closed. Rolled it back up within 200 yards
        Last edited by Smart; 02-16-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          I don't disagree with you on that...they are kinda funky looking.

I have an 8-9' tripod I take, along with game cart etc... have you put an 8' tripod in the back and made it work?
          Can’t say I have the tripod, but game cart yes.

Comment

The double cab has a really good amount of room, I juts happen to think they are ugly.

The gay looking window on the back door is what I think is ugly.

The back window doesn’t roll down like the crew max does.

Both of these.

If I end up giving my taco to the kid for college I'm gonna look at tundra pretty hard. That's IF they dont get but ugly like every other half ton on the market

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Going on 6 years in mine and I haven't had one situation where the bed was too small...If I need more room, I pull a trailer. I'd much rather have the room in the backseat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                If I got a half ton it would be the tundra double cab with 8’ bed.
                There is plenty of room in the back for a car seat.
                This is what i have. Plenty of room. Love it.

I do have the small gas tank. Don't like that.
                Last edited by mikemorvan; 02-16-2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I like the crew max

Comment

I use the back window to run my tailgate feeder controller...I honestly didn't even know I had it & was running short going through rear door. Great addy for the only application I need & will use regularly.

Couldn't get past the looks of double cab either & sales guy said he thought the 6.5 was available in the crew & a bummer it isn't...they already have the frame with the 8' bed if you compare the OAL. Why a standard bed crew cab isn't the 'standard' is insane. I'm fine with short bed & the roll / lock cover but a 6.5 with a box should be the public 'standard' vs the short bed the public has accepted regardless of what flavor 1/2 ton one chooses??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      I use the back window to run my tailgate feeder controller...I honestly didn't even know I had it & was running short going through rear door. Great addy for the only application I need & will use regularly.

Couldn't get past the looks of double cab either & sales guy said he thought the 6.5 was available in the crew & a bummer it isn't...they already have the frame with the 8' bed if you compare the OAL. Why a standard bed crew cab isn't the 'standard' is insane. I'm fine with short bed & the roll / lock cover but a 6.5 with a box should be the public 'standard' vs the short bed the public has accepted regardless of what flavor 1/2 ton one chooses??
                      I figure my 2 year old grandson would have a ball going from the back to the cab through the window. And, I really like having a sliding down back window.
                      I agree, the 6.5' bed should be the standard.

NOW...another issue...towing... how close can you get to the 10K towing capacity before it is ...iffy...?

Comment

The towing was a big selling point by yote but doesn't affect me...if that was the case, then I'm looking at a 3/4 ton from the get go. There is no reason to consider a 1/2 ton if I'm going to be consistently be pulling on the fat end of the max window capacity of any half ton??

I like the beefy crew rear end and while I admit the 6.5' bed is ideal, I'm perfectly fine using the roll'n lock on the short bed for my needs & losing the box...I just feel toyota & ALL the others are totally missing the boat by not making the crew with the 6.5 the NORM!!

The short bed 1/2 should be the rare red headed step child simply for the lack of room for the toolbox room because the dang wheel well won't allow it to go deep. It's stupid!! They have sacrificed bed space for interior because of some fallacy garage space they think it needs to fit in??

Maybe the biggest fail in all of vehicle marketing...just look at a 6.5' Ford / Chevy half ton & tell me it doesn't look better. The space between the wheel well & cab look correct on the standard 6.5 bed, yet the short looks dumb & is accepted as the norm??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          The towing was a big selling point by yote but doesn't affect me...if that was the case, then I'm looking at a 3/4 ton from the get go. There is no reason to consider a 1/2 ton if I'm going to be consistently be pulling on the fat end of the max window capacity of any half ton??

I like the beefy crew rear end and while I admit the 6.5' bed is ideal, I'm perfectly fine using the roll'n lock on the short bed for my needs & losing the box...I just feel toyota & ALL the others are totally missing the boat by not making the crew with the 6.5 the NORM!!

The short bed 1/2 should be the rare red headed step child simply for the lack of room for the toolbox room because the dang wheel well won't allow it to go deep. It's stupid!! They have sacrificed bed space for interior because of some fallacy garage space they think it needs to fit in??

Maybe the biggest fail in all of vehicle marketing...just look at a 6.5' Ford / Chevy half ton & tell me it doesn't look better. The space between the wheel well & cab look correct on the standard 6.5 bed, yet the short looks dumb & is accepted as the norm??

I wouldn't be consistently pulling anything. A travel trailer several times a year. That is the reason I asked about maxing out. I have a 3/4 ton truck...for the past 16 years...I have towed a travel trailer a few times ...total.

I got the truck for longevity...it has paid off. I am looking for another truck to go 350K miles.

Comment

Extended/double cabs are fine for car seats and young kids. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice the extra foot of bed space.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              I figure my 2 year old grandson would have a ball going from the back to the cab through the window. And, I really like having a sliding down back window.
                              I agree, the 6.5' bed should be the standard.

NOW...another issue...towing... how close can you get to the 10K towing capacity before it is ...iffy...?
                              I regularly pull 12k with mine.
                              Never had a iffy issue, and that's with no trailer breaks.

Comment

I’ve had almost 10k hooked to mine and it pulled it fine but you could watch the fuel gauge move.

Comment

Working...
                                X