Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Default What is the lamest reason you have ever been pulled over for?

I got pulled over this morning for "Failure to signal Lane Change" and I was changing lanes to avoid an accident as a person was drifting into my lane. So this popped into my mind.

My lamest excuse........

Dirty License plate

I was 100ft from the city limits and it was 2am. I think it was just an excuse to make contact as the license plate could clearly be read even though there was road grime on it.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Not wearing a seat belt in town where I can't legally go over 25 mph. When the cop asked where I lived I said "That blue and white house over there." as I pointed at it. He gave me a $25 ticket.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Speeding... I had to ****!!!

Serious one though, I had bought a used back pipe bumper from a guy and put it on my truck and the TWO license plate lights worked the day before but went through a small town and the DPS officer noticed that one of them was not working and pulled me over and gave me a warning.

Last edited by BBReezen; 04-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.
BBReezen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
jer_james
Ten Point

Wide right turn - It was about 1030 pm on a Friday night. I was about 23 or so years old. There was nobody at the light I was turning on. Not another car in sight. He was behind me in the turn lane. I hit the blinker and turned into the far lane on a 2 lane road. Lit me up immediately. I dont really drink, but I believe he was trying to get me for something like that. I did a sobriety test and all that good stuff for about 20-25 mins.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

A highway patrolman pulled me over claiming the tint was too dark. I do not feel like typing it all out right now but long story short I have been pulled over quite a few times in my life and this guy was the only one that was ever a jerk. Also the tint was fine so no ticket, just a hassle.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

Driving in the left lane on 635 at 4 o’clock in the afternoon. Warning

I also got pulled over for failure to deam my head lights. 365$

Except the 31 in a 30 in San Angelo ticket I deserved the rest.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Crossing the white line on the right hand side of the road.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
neskora
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sublime, TX

Failure to yield - there wasnít a car for at least a half mile (that was as far as I could see) either way on the street I turned onto. I still wonder who I was supposed to be yielding to.
neskora is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
Kas
Six Point

Hunt In: Silsbee-Livingston-Rock springs

Not using a turn signal at a three way where you canít go straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
macguyverberry
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak and Lavaca County
I consider this lame because it's almost embarrassing:

When I lived in College Station my street, on one end, came to a T intersection with a stop sign. To the left was a dead end that had a gate into a city park. To the right was another residential street. I pulled up to the stop sign and rolled through because in my opinion the stop sign was worthless.
Well about the time I rolled through (around 9pm) two bicycle cops were headed into the park and pulled me over. That's right, I got pulled over in my car by a bicycle cop.
macguyverberry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
jer_james
Ten Point

I also got pulled over with my 2 best friends in front of my best friend's house.

He said my best friend was driving like a crazy man. Lights came on as we made a turn, and his house was on the corner. He parked in front of his own house. I was in the passenger side and got out and started to walk into the house.

Cop didnt like that and drew on me. I put my hands up and said I wasnt driving, and that this is where we were going. He then yelled at me to get back in the car. I did, and then another car comes screeching around the corner and stops. Back up. They get out of their car with gun drawn calling me an idiot. He tells me to get out of the car and sit on the curb. He asked my friend why he was driving crazy. No tickets, but they kept me outside of the house for an hour seaching the vehicle and all that jazz.

I was a jerk the whole time, and we got no tickets for anything.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

97 in a 55, it wasn’t my fault. The original Fast and Furious has just come out... it was not a good enough excuse for Honolulu PD
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
jer_james
Ten Point

Oh, and one more time I was playing basketball at a park. All my friends had left and I was at a bench at about 1015 with the gf. I was taking my shoes off and putting on my slides. Cop came and said we were out past the closing time for the park.

He was a larger guy, I was 19 and he kept asking me if I was going to run. He gave me a ticket for something about being at a public park after 10 pm.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #14
riverbowman
Eight Point

Not having a license plate on the front of my 1985 RX7. No place to put one on that pointy bumper. Sure hated putting screws in that thing.
riverbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
DEG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Berclair, Sonora

72 in a 70mph zone coming off an overpass outside San Angelo pulling a fifth wheel camper. Cruise was set on 70 but didn't hold it back with the weight pushing it. Waist of mine and the Troopers time. He gave me a warning ticket.
DEG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #16
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where ever and whenever

I was the second car in the right lane at a stop light. Light turns green. I follow the car in front as we turn right. Got pulled over for following too close on the turn. Rookie cop said I needed to see the wheels of the car in front of me. Received a warning. Then I told him he was acting chickensh*t.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

When I was 16

Pulled over for failure to signal a lane change (which I did) and then the warning on paper said Following to close. There was only one car in 500 yards in either direction and it was in the lane to my left.
Was confused and asked the officer and he then went back to his car and called for back up because he smelled something like weed (he actually said ____ cigars) and then me and my buddy were asked to exit the vehicle, spread eagle on the pavement face down, and we were padded down in the dollar general parking lot lol

‘‘Twas a interesting night and the back up officer apologized for the situation and was chatting with us the whole time as the Other guy was tearing through my vehicle. He ended up letting us back in which we had to clean everything back up and the he followed us all the way to my buddies house where I dropped him off.

We at least got the W in the baseball game that night we were coming back from!
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

College Station PD were the worst about messing with you. I stopped at a 4 way stop one morning like I was supposed to, on my bicycle. Cop pulls up just a second before me on my right and stares at me. I waved him on since he had the right of way. He rolls down his window and tells me "I'm glad you stopped." I told him I didn't want to get run over (this intersection was particularly bad with people rolling through). Barney gets upset at tells me "Yeah you just didn't want a $100 ticket." Figured I was about to get delayed for a while but he took off.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #19
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas View Post
Not using a turn signal at a three way where you canít go straight

Same here.
At a light that had 2 lanes. Left has to go left. Right has to go right.
I turned left without a blinker and got pulled over.
When he asked me why I didn't use my blinker, I asked him where the hell did you think I was going to go? I guess my argument was strong enough ... I got a warning.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #20
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Spitting gum out of the truck window, I got a ticket for littering
Going to slow down a washboard gravel road I was going 25 and speed limit was 35
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
slicktree
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr county

31 in a 30 and smoking a cigarette when I was younger got pulled over to make sure I was 18
slicktree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
ghost
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the woods

Sometimes we just have to donate the 15 minute contact that some people call hassle to allow our officers to do their jobs. With so much case law in favor of the criminals officers use small infractions to catch bigger violators. The man hauling meth to our neighbor kids and the felons on the run aren't cruising 100mph acting fools most of the time. So when I get stopped I am polite and thank our officers for doing their best to make our country safer. Most of the time (not all) the petty traffic stop is not even about us or our violation it's about turning over rocks to help protect us. I'm bias for being Police Officer for 15 years however.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
johnpaul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

My Fiancee (girlfriend at the time) and I were heading to South Texas 5 or 6 years ago and she was driving 80 in a 70 on I-10 and I was following behind her. We were going through Seguin and I saw the police officer way before she did so I started slowing down. She got pulled over so I stopped about 600 yards in front of her on the shoulder to wait on her. Cop comes up to her window and asks if I'm traveling with her. She says yes and he tells her to call me and tell me not to move he is giving me a ticket too ... Obviously I stayed put and he comes up there about 5 minutes later and writes me a ticket for doing the same speed as my girlfriend. Lesson learned though. Next time I will not be stopping.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #24
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

I was traveling in the right lane going speed limit.
Sheriff Tahoe comes up behind me and then goes around me in the left lane.
I wasn’t paying much attention and sped up a little keeping pace a couple hundred yards behind him.
City cop on motorcycle pulls me over and gave me a ticket.

I was ****** and asked him why he didn’t pull over the guy going at least 10mph faster than me.
bowhntrmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

32 in a 30 in downtown Cross Plains, Texas....Didn't even ask for my insurance....stroked me a ticket and sent me on my way so he could get his next victim in that speedtrap.

Ballinger, Texas.... said my license plate light wasn't visible at 100 foot when it clearly was. Then told me to get my truck plates changed from Kansas to Texas plates. I said but this is a Kansas truck. He looked at me like I was a retard and said but you live in Texas!! To which I replied...yes, but the owner of the truck who is right here in the passenger seat lives in Kansas!. Well why are you driving his truck?. Because it's 10 hours from his home to our lease and he drove 5 hours to get to my house. Its 10pm at night, so I figured I'd be safe and drive the second leg to our lease. You could see the light bulb go off finally, albeit delayed. He told me to slow down and drive safe. I asked, "was I speeding officer?" He said no....sorry get that plate light brighter.. I rolled up the window and my buddy Nick said....**** he must be new..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #26
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Sometimes we just have to donate the 15 minute contact that some people call hassle to allow our officers to do their jobs. With so much case law in favor of the criminals officers use small infractions to catch bigger violators. The man hauling meth to our neighbor kids and the felons on the run aren't cruising 100mph acting fools most of the time. So when I get stopped I am polite and thank our officers for doing their best to make our country safer. Most of the time (not all) the petty traffic stop is not even about us or our violation it's about turning over rocks to help protect us. I'm bias for being Police Officer for 15 years however.

So true. I know this as well and I am not an officer. You can usually tell because of the surprised look I get from them at the window and the hurry to get out of the contact. It has always ended in them checking for warrants and a verbal warning for me. I have 10-15 of these stops I just listed my 2 most silly.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Wearing Seat belt the wrong way.
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #28
NotJose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, TX

Driving while Mexican

NotJose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thank you for doing what you do.

Ever time I've ever been pulled over I deserved to be pulled over.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #30
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Katy,TX 3 months ago .......not turning my headlights on 30 minutes before official sunset time.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #31
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

1 of the rear license plate lights was out...the other one was working
coachk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #32
RaiderNation45
Four Point

Hunt In: South TX

I got pulled over by a Tx Ranger, with his wife and son in the truck, for “dancing & singing” on the highway. He had been following us for miles and said it was reckless driving.
RaiderNation45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #33
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Only 1 of 2 license plate light working.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Once got pulled over for honking. It was on a narrow rural road with a Y/triangle type intersection where 1 direction has a stop and another has a yield less than a mile from the house. There was a bicycle ride going on and a sheriff had everyone stopped except the bike riders so they could bypass the stop sign. I was about 4th vehicle in line and a few more behind me. After he let the 100th or so bike rider thru I started honking to remind him to give the same amount of go time to everyone. As soon as he stopped the bikes again he left his post (real safe for the bike ride), sprinted to his car and pulled up behind me at the yield sign (as I was yielding to more bikes approaching the stop sign) and then ran up to my window to let me have it for honking. I asked if it would be better to pull of the road out of the way since there was room for our vehicles in the "triangle" and he refused. I guess he was hell bent on screwing up traffic that day. He was even blocking the oncoming lane to where oncoming traffic had to drive in the ditch to pass while he tried to lecture me about honking. We "discussed" the merits of a bike ride on a road like that and I let him know why I was honking and what I thought about the obstruction to traffic. I wasn't rude or disrespectful, just stated my position/opinion. I think I got a warning for honking but I'm not sure. I know I didn't get a ticket. It is still amusing to me that I got "pulled over" for honking while in a stop condition out in the country less than a mile from my house.

Last edited by cehorn; 04-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #35
xman59
Pope & Young

can't say i ever got pulled over for a lame reason... mostly because i spent 30 years in the car with the lights on it,,,, i would have been embarrassed as an leo to have considered some of those stops......

but there is a flip side to some of those lame stops,,,, pulled a truck over with 4 in the front seat,,, so someone was most certainly not wearing a seat belt,,, but i really did not like the way the passenger looked at me. The end result, 1 runaway, 1 stolen 1911 , 31 burglaries solved most of that property recovered 4 in jail.... not bad for a seat belt stop

another one comes to mind,,, i was running radar on mlk in beaumont, had a car doing 3 over (i was bored) he let off the gas coming down the underpass when he saw me,,,, with the glass packs popping i had a defective exhaust and 3 mph over limit,,, got him stopped ... end result 1 runaway and the driver was wanted on 2 murder charges .....

sometimes feathered legged stops really pay off with "real police work, and catching real criminals"

but it still stinks to be on the end of a "weak" stop
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #36
neskora
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sublime, TX

Oh I forgot - got pulled over between Sealy and Eagle Lake by a trooper that didnít know the speed limit. When I asked him wasnít the speed limit 75, he said not in this county, maybe in the next county over (figured heíd know being that I assume this 20 mile stretch of nothing road is all his jurisdiction and goes through both counties). Turns out it was also 75 in ďthis countyĒ. I didnít much care, and am always polite, but he acted like I was the dumbarse (not saying Iím not ).
neskora is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #37
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:

I know this is true. Doesn't change the fact that it is frustrating and time consuming though.
I will say that when I've gotten a ticket I earned it. Even if it's 48 in a 45 it's still not 45.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #38
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I got pulled over for failing to signal 100 ft before entering a turning lane. I entered the lane & then turned on my signal. Cop was cool about it & just said most people didn’t know that requirement. Just got a warning.
HogHunter34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #39
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Parker county drug task force pulled me over when the wife and I were on our way to Chama for an elk hunt for our honeymoon! Had no idea why he pulled me over, when I asked he said my license plate looked homemade! We took pops ride cause he had a camper shell to hold everything for the trip and he had USAF retired tags. Once he figured out we weren't hauling drugs we talked about hunting and went on our way.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #40
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

For no seatbelt while driving in a PARKING LOT.
It was a state university parking lot so I was told it was state property and I must wear seatbelt. Was issued a ticket
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #41
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:

most would be shocked at what lame and petty traffic stops produced in drugs/money on a daily basis. fail to signal lane change and following too close are both very common violations, especially on the highway, by both soccer moms and joe blow with 100lbs of weed in the trunk.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #42
Low Fence
Pope & Young

HAVING tail lights

About 3am (nothing good usually happens at that time)

Said: “you have a tail light out “

I looked in mirrors and said “nope”

I was asked to get out, did a field sobriety test ( hadn’t drank a drop)

And was told: “I’m going to just write a warning “..... to which I replied, “ write me 10-12 of em.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

I got pulled over at 12:30 AM by campus police for driving through a water puddle. He told me he was worried about me splashing pedestrians.

PapaBear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #44
chrigging
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Dirty Plate
chrigging is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #45
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

After reading all this Im going to check my license plate light(s). I didnt even know there were 2 back there.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #46
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

About 5-6 years ago an officer was coming the other way on Broadway in Alamo Heights and he did a Tokyo Drift U-turn right after passing me and flipped the lights on. I pulled over, he walked up and said "huh, I guess that's an '8' not a '3'...thought your registration was expired". He scanned the sticker with his gizmo and walked away...told me to drive safe. I really didn't think it warranted that level of excitement

Other one was when I was 15 I had my permit and my Dad was riding passenger...got pulled over b/c the officer thought I looked too young. Couldn't fault him for that one

Last edited by JonBoy; 04-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #47
ghost
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the woods
Default What is the lamest reason you have ever been pulled over for?

I've taught my officers over the years to enforce the traffic laws within reason and good judgment. Use discretion when you can and enforce the laws when it is in the best interest of society at keeping the streets safe. With that said if you profile anyone or only stop speeders you are missing out on catching the most dangerous criminals and danger to society. Criminals knows no face/ethnicity/religious faith/or social status. They come in all shapes colors and sizes!!! So for those LE doing the jobs keep on keeping on. And for you knucklehead officers who are too black and white about the law try interpreting the color of the law and not the letter of the law. That's all I've got on this thread!!! Ghost is OUT!!!

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #48
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I got pulled over for speeding while riding a bicycle. There was a speed trap at the bottom of a hill in a residential area of Ft Worth and he clocked me going 35 in a 25 mph zone. I was actually kind of proud of that one.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #49
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

100% of every DOT stop ever...

They are the ultimate in bureaucratic bull****. If you think the IRS is a steaming pile, you aint never dealt with the DOT.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #50
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Ticket for not wearing a DOT approved helmet when riding a motorcycle
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top