Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Buckley99
Ten Point

Default Famous Encounters

A few buddies of mine, and our boys, went to the Supercross races last night (at AT&T Sradium) and we met Ty Murray while walking the track. Ty was incredibly gracious with his time and was great with our boys. Great guy!

After we got to our seats we were all discussing famous people that we’ve met and how our interactions changed our opinions of them (both good and bad).

So, I’ll turn the question to the GS...who have you met and did the interaction/conversation change your opinion of the person?
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Went to the Mavs game Feb 10th. Met Ken Griffen Jr.

I've met President George HW Bush in many occasions when I worked at Oshmans by the Galleria. I worked the hunting/fishing dept and he always came back there to hang out. One time he came in shortly after surgery. He was using a wooden cane to help him get around but the end of the cane was slick and would slip sometimes if he put too much pressure on it. He asked if we had something to put in the end of it. Well, the rubber cap off the end of a dip net fit perfectly. As I was putting the cap on the end of the cane, I snapped the handle off of it! He was a good sport about it. Said he really didn't like the cane anyway! We bought him a new one - we all signed it, and he came up to the store so we could present it to him.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

At the Panama airport
Attached Images

alwaysinshorts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Double D
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval County

We ran into Charles Barkley outside an Alabama football game while tailgating. My son jumped at the photo op. Nice guy.
Attached Images

Double D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Lets see I've met Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, RC Slocum, Spike Dykes, Art Briles, Wade Phillips, had a beer Dennis Franchione, talked football with Gary Patterson. All very very nice and except for one.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Tuff Hedeman, Cody Lambart , Kevin Millar
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

Muhammad Ali in 1990.
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
El Forajido
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any Tree stand in Texas ✭

Burnt one many, many years ago with D.A.C. and another time shared the same bottle with Bocephus and members from Skynyrd

Can't forget about Selena Quintanilla

Last edited by El Forajido; 02-18-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Add on
El Forajido is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
Bisch
Pope & Young

A looooooong time ago, I was in high school. My friends mom ran a bar where they were filming one of Willie Nelsons movies. We got to meet Willie and Slim Pickins. Willie seemed to not give a rats azz about meeting us, but Slim sat at that table and acted like he was our grandpa!!!! I was really impressed by Slim.

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

My BIL and some friends were playing golf at TPC San Antonio a few years back. Started pouring rain so they seeked shelter under the awning of the bathroom. Another cart came cruising in for shelter. Well, it was LeBRon James on an off day from playoffs! He took a picture in a men’s bathroom with LeBRon on a golf course ! Lol

Last edited by JLivi1224; 02-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
rbsears
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan Co

When we lived in San Antonio, George Strait came in and sat in front of us in church. We didn’t meet but I did what anyone would do (sneak a pic with my flip phone when everyone was bowing during communion).
rbsears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

meet jackson taylor or jackson taylor and the sinners a couple of times, first time i met him we had a couple of beers together and then he went on stage, i thought he was part of the road crew, suprised me when he picked up the guitar and started playing, a great guy and great music, like waylon on steroids
Attached Images

hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Lots of y’all have met Tommy Lee Jones and George Michael...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #14
MisterB
Six Point

When my oldest son was growing up he followed everything Chuck Yeager did, he thought the sun rose and fell in the test pilot. He had his walls covered with posters of Yeager. When I saw that Yeager was going to be at the Shot Show in Dallas, I took my son to see him. We entered the convention center and low and behold there was his idol talking with another man. We waited a minute and my son finally got up the courage to approach Yeager. The astronaut totally ignored my son. When he finally realized my son was there Yeager looked down and said, “Go away kid” and turned his back on the 12 year old. It was a silent trip back home. When we got there my son took down all the posters on his wall and threw all the pictures he had of Yeager in the trash. For some reason he didn’t want to be a test pilot anymore.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #15
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I used to office down the hall from Tom Landry and his son after he left the Cowboys. I was working late one night and rode down the elevator with him. Really nice guy. I took their secretary to lunch one day and she gave me a quick tour of the office. A lot of history in there.

Also, Bill Clinton was on my mortar range firing point when he was Governor of Arkansas. We were at Ft. Chaffee. He hung a couple of rounds down range with me beside him and my Plt Sgt across from him. Somewhere there is a picture of us by that 81mm mortar. Good shot of my back.

The plan was if we had a misfire or hangfire, I would get him out of the area quickly. I was more concerned with him passing his hand over the tube after he dropped the round down.

Fortunately the hardest part of the ordeal was what I had to endure with our idiot S-3 Operations officer the day before when I had to explain why the Governor had to have a hard hat on the range while firing and I would shut the range down if he didn't have a helmet on. S-3 hadn't served in an Infantry Bn since he was a 2LT.

My troops were just glad Hillary didn't come with Bill. Even then, she had a rep. Bill was actually very nice and gratious.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
pervis
Ten Point

I've ran into Oprah on a flight. Bad bad experience. Andy **** in Huntington beach. Kevin Costner and lewy Anderson in LA at the airport, they caused a huge scene. DL hugely and Cedric the entertainer on a flight back to Houston from tahoe. They were awesome super nice. Gave my family tickets to the kings of comedy tour in Houston. Tiny Tim in the Chicago o hare airport. Those are who I can think about now.
pervis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
Buckley99
Ten Point

I’ve been blessed to have met several neat people and the only one that was really disappointing was Tony Gwynn. I was probably 8 and I asked him for an autograph (and I asked him once). He turned to me and said, “Jesus kid, I’m here to play some ******* baseball!” It is one of my most vivid childhood memories, as I was a huge Tony Gwynn fan prior to that exchange.

He may be a great guy but I never looked at him the same way again.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Then there is this hero. He was the guest speaker at a formal dining in of one of the Louisiana ARNG OCS classes I was an Instructor for. He was very humble and unassuming.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_J._DeBlanc
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #19
pervis
Ten Point

Andy dike or d i c k. Blonde hair guy super skittish. He was literally trying to climb a straight up brick wall outside of jacks surf shop in Huntington beach. Dude was tweaking.
pervis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

On two different occasions I met LBJ. Once at a Longhorn game I was working and the other time at his summer house on the lake.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Buckley99
Ten Point

My all time favorite encounters...

George W
Newt Gingrich
Jose Lima
Craig Biggio
Roger Clemens
Derek Jeter
David Murphy
Nolan Ryan
Adam Scott
Hakeem
Clyde
Shaq
Gary Kelly
Karen Katz
Tilman Fertitta
Frank Beard
Cory Morrow
Kevin Cronin
Chris Tomlin
Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #22
jabel
Six Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Walked into Rudy’s in Waco one Friday last spring and immediately noticed Roger, Kody, and Kasey Clemens coming in from the side door. Roger told us to go ahead of them although they beat us to the line. I said thank you sir and asked Kody if they were going to get them tonight as they were in town playing Baylor that weekend.

My wife and I sat down to eat and I told her who it was. I don’t think anyone else in there recognized Roger but me.

We got done eating, walked outside and right there was a blacked out F150 4x4 with a longhorn mural on the rear quarter panel and plates that read 7CY 421 or something like that.

BTW, Roger is stil a big man!
jabel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
Maxlab
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez

I have met a few people, David Robinson, Charles Barkley, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Pernell Whitaker, Lou Duva, Bil Walton, Larry Brown, Gregg Popovich, Dennis Rodman, Carl Malone, Tommy Lee, Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx. They were all nice. I’m sure there are a few more missing. Met them all while Valet parking cars while going to school.
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
Muddman
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise & Montague County

I met Neal McCoy in the Kuwait Airport at McDonald's. He was going home after entertaining the troops in Iraq. We just talked about bass fishing while waiting on our flight.
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #25
tfrye
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack County

I've met a couple celebrities, but I would say the coolest thing I can claim is that I played high school golf with Spieth. We were paired together in qualifying for the US Junior AM, 36 holes in one day. And then in several other events.. Good guy, really enjoy watching him play well on the big stage.
tfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

As a kid I got to hang with Johnny Cash and Hank Williams and my uncle Jim Bible. Watched and listened as they got very drunk.
Spearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #27
lilbradford
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Met Andre Johnson at Sandals Ochi in 2016. Was a super nice guy
lilbradford is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #28
Hunting4fun
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
At the Panama airport

Who's that? Looks familiar.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #29
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

This past week, my wife and I sat next to two gentlemen at the bar in the Arlington Saltgrass. We were all watching curling, eating, drinking and cutting up about not knowing the rules of curling. Spent 30 minutes whooping it up with them. We were still cutting up when they were walking out. Bartender says hey do you know who that was. We were clueless. It was Ron White.

We were both so ****** off. Lol. He definitely looks different.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #30
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

As long as I have been walking this planet you would think I would have crossed paths with more celebrities - maybe I’m not paying attention. I did meet a few famous musicians during my first job out of college when I worked at a radio station that promoted a lot of concerts. Two that come to mind - I picked up Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart) at the airport and drove them around. This was about 1980 when they were very popular. I did the same routine that year for Eddie Money (remember him?) He wanted to buy cowboy boots so I took him to a Western Wear store.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #31
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I met Val Kilmer back in the mid 90's while I was working at a feed store in
Santa fe. He lived just out side of town where he had a buffalo in a pen.
He came to the store so his kids could pick out Easter chicks ( little blue and pink ones) we talked for about 10-15 min. And he was down to earth
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #32
MadHatter
Ten Point

Angelina Jolie
Been around Dime and Vinnie alot. Spent New Years of 2002 in Dimes house getting thrashed. RIP
Dave Williams RIP
David Draimen several times, he's a ****, ALL the time.
Lots an lots of country singers, through a radio station affiliation.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #33
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
This past week, my wife and I sat next to two gentlemen at the bar in the Arlington Saltgrass. We were all watching curling, eating, drinking and cutting up about not knowing the rules of curling. Spent 30 minutes whooping it up with them. We were still cutting up when they were walking out. Bartender says hey do you know who that was. We were clueless. It was Ron White.

We were both so ****** off. Lol. He definitely looks different.
You had drinks with tatersalad and didn't know it????
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #34
Hunting4fun
Four Point

I ran into this kid one day. My nephews and nieces freaked out when I showed them the pic. This was after a photo shoot with Disney and Nickelodeon.

Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #35
cohenascopy
Six Point

Hunt In: wood county

Carrol Shelby
Neil McCoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cohenascopy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #36
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

I remember Charlie had lunch with the Duke!
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

grew up with a bunch of pro surfers but not sure anyone on TBH knows who they are
Mark Hunt a couple times, we have some mutual friends. Nice but pretty quiet guy
Met Dwayne Johnson one morning, super nice guy. I was having breakfast w/my 7yo nephew and he kept starting and The Rock invited us over to eat at his table. The guy can put down some eggs!
Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction) awesome guy
Pat Green was a pretty big d bag when I met him but he was also blackout drunk
Jack Johnson used to come to my buddies house a lot. Her dad was an exec at Kodak so they had an amazing house in Malibu that all kinds of celebs would come through. Most were polite enough but didn't make much conversation
Jeremy Piven (sp) is a complete tool
Dustin Brown Drew Doughty from the LA Kings used to come drink with us a lot at my buddy's bar in LA. Met a couple of the guys that play for the Kings and all were fun.
Lyle Lovett was a good guy when we met him and chatted with us for a bit

My lab was a therapy dog and we worked him on a lot of shows and movies when I lived in Hermosa Beach. We met a lot of folks and most were good. Reese Witherspoon was the best one and I wish I would have proposed
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #38
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

George

Alan Jackson (not so good)

Clay walker and his smoking ex

Pat green and his parents bring drove by Jack Ingram

Cody jinx

Eli young band

Aaron Watson (very cool!!)

Luke Bryan

Miranda Lambert

Chester Pitts

David Carr (db)

Coach kubiack

And a few more working Houston rodeo.

Shaq,Barkley, mj

Last and least Obama when he was running for office

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #39
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Met quite a few over the years and can't remember them all.

I have never heard of some of the famous people you guys have met.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #40
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

Many years ago, I used to hang out in many clubs and bars, met a lot of band members. one night some guy started talking crap to me, I told him what I thought of him, then about three other guys jumped in and we were going to go at it. I liked to fight back then, so I had no problem with the whole deal. I never did figure out why the A hole started talking crap to me to begin with, but I had no problem with the idea of kicking his ***. Well the club bouncers broke up the deal, before it turned into much of anything. Told me to go back to what I was doing, so I did. Well that night Ugly Kid Joe was playing there, I did not care much one way or another, it was the club I hung out at most of the time anyway. Well when they got on stage, turns out the a holes that tried to start a fight with me were Ugly Kid Joe. So I hung out on the balcony and flipped them off, the head a hole went back to talking crap on the mike, we almost got another fight going. I got told not to stir crap up.

Same club about the same point in time. I was playing pool, my usual routine. Some guy came up and wanted to play a game of pool, ok no problem. Very quickly I realized the guy was David Coverdale. We play a few games of pool, the guy is pretty **** good, I could beat most anybody any day, back in those days. He was pretty hard to beat, he won some I won some. Then two very hot chicks came over and wanted to play also. So we played multiple games of doubles. Things got pretty wild. That was a night to remember. David was a very cool guy. The two chicks that showed up, I had never seen before, seemed like they were following him around. Normally there were not chicks that hot looking in that place. That was a fun night.

When I lived in Houston, I hung out at Back Stage multiple times, ran into a quite a few big name Rockers there. Kevin Fowler was there almost every time I went there. Back in the days when he had the band Dangerous Toys. He would be dressed up in his crazy costume, that he wore during concerts and videos. I have seen Kevin many places over the years. Then our daughter is a fan of his and ran into him up in Lubbock. Pretty sure I ran into Steven Tyler at least once, in there.

As for non music celebrities, I know I have run into a few over the years. The only one I can think of was either Allen or Keith Warren. Which ever one it was, I used to see regularly in convenience stores around New Braunfels, many years ago. Back then, I knew which one it was, but I don't know which is which now, I don't keep track of those two.

Another one I forgot about, one of my heros when I was growing up, was Bob Glidden. Back when I lived in Houston, I used to race at Houston Raceway Park three nights a week. Two years in a row, when I was out at the track for a regular Wednesday night race, I noticed there was a Motorcraft truck and trailer in the pits. The first time I had no idea, figured it was some Ford promotional thing. Then walked over after I pitted, to see what was going on and found Bob and Etta working on the T-Bird. I was shocked. I got to talk to Etta for quite a while. While Bob worked on the car. They were there doing test and tune while most of the NHRA guys were up in Ennis for the national event, coming up that weekend. I guess they found they could get more done, during the week, without all of the other cars there, and those two tracks were supposed to be identical, tracks and only a few hundred miles apart. I did get to talk to Bob also, never wanted to bother him for a autograph. The very next year, same time, they were back on a Wednesday night doing test and tune again. Again, I did not realize they were going to be there, until I saw the truck and trailer, but the second time, I knew who it was right off

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-18-2018 at 04:49 PM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #41
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenascopy View Post
Carrol Shelby
Neil McCoy

That would be cool.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #42
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHunter View Post
I remember Charlie had lunch with the Duke!
Now that is someone I would like to have met and got to talk to for a while.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #43
xman59
Pope & Young

Al Gore, George Straight, Sonny Bono,,, did short stint of body guard work for all three,,, still don't like gore, bono was not impressive, Straight at least acknowledged me,,,,,
xman59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #44
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I am gonna meet Burnadell, Saltwater Slick and several other famous extraordinaires in month at College Station.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #45
cohenascopy
Six Point

Hunt In: wood county

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
That would be cool.

When I worked at a ford dealership I did an oil change on carrol Shelby’s personal f150. He signed me a picture and I have it framed with the work order.

cohenascopy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #46
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Several musicians:
Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon( Double Trouble)
Doyle Bramhall II
Ed King from Lynyrd Skynyrd
Brian Setzer( Stray Cats)
David Grissom
Hughie Thomasson (Outlaws and later Skynyrd)
Jason Boland and Roger Ray
Cody Canada
Ian Moore

Growing up in Waco, I ran into David Koresh once in Lone Star Music. Really creepy dude. I've done several hunting TV shows and met and worked with Kieth Warren and Dave Watson. Also met Jimmy Houston once, KVD and Bill Dance.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #47
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Met Terry Bradshaw in a club in El Paso in the early '80s. Just shook hands and that was it so no lasting impact on my life except he has BIG HANDS!
dustoffer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #48
Horn a holic
Eight Point

Hunt In: Antlers, Oklahoma

Met Josh Hamilton at rough creek a couple of summers ago. We had dinner beside he and his girls and later that evening one of his daughters played with my son in a horse shoe pit. He was super cool and didn't mind taking pictures with us and autographing my mother in laws Texas Ranger purse!
Horn a holic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #49
Stump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county

I met Gary Allan at the Texas Rose Hall in Alvin
Stump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #50
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Oh yeah I can’t believe I forgot BJ Penn

He went to school with my old business partner so he would come and hang out in the shop on Wednesday’s and Thursday after his jitsu. He already had a couple titles at the time so it was really cool to **** and hang out with him. He always had 2 little chihuahuas with him which for some reason cracked me up. The Produgy, a ****** UFC champion with little yap dogs always with him
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top