first axis hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first axis hunt

Scored my first axis hunt! Now I know I'm no where near the hunt date ( sept 16 and 17) I'm just super pumped to bag the number 2 animal on my bucket list...needless to say ive waited 15 years to get this hunt and I finally have been offered to come score a nice bull. There is no option in taking the bow so I will be making this kill with a bang stick. This critter has always intrigued me and ive always craved the hunt for one of these beautiful animals.

So I was going to buy a new .270 seeing I don't own a smaller caliber rifle than a Remington 7 mag.... which I believe is to much gun for this animal. I plan on having a nice mount done so I guess my question to yall would be isn't the 7 mag to much for a mature bull axis?

We have shot them with .338 win mags. They are big tough animals. I would stay with your 7 mag I wouldn't down grade calibers

Comment

Originally posted by Msgreenga View Post
      We have shot them with .338 win mags. They are big tough animals. I would stay with your 7 mag I wouldn't down grade calibers
      my biggest fear would be damaging any part of the cape for a solid shoulder mount. hearing this does ease my concerns

Comment

7 mag is great for an axis. Buy a new rifle if you want to, but it's not necessary. Bullet has a lot more to do with cape damage than caliber. Stay away from hollow points and any bullet that fragments badly. Stick with an AccuBond, Partition, or some other bullet that holds together well.
        Last edited by Shane; 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by roostar14 View Post
          Scored my first axis hunt! Now I know I'm no where near the hunt date ( sept 16 and 17) I'm just super pumped to bag the number 2 animal on my bucket list...needless to say ive waited 15 years to get this hunt and I finally have been offered to come score a nice bull. There is no option in taking the bow so I will be making this kill with a bang stick. This critter has always intrigued me and ive always craved the hunt for one of these beautiful animals.

So I was going to buy a new .270 seeing I don't own a smaller caliber rifle than a Remington 7 mag.... which I believe is to much gun for this animal. I plan on having a nice mount done so I guess my question to yall would be isn't the 7 mag to much for a mature bull axis?

I have killed one with a 30-06 150grn spire point bullet, my wife just killed one with a 6.5 creedmoor 143grn eld-x bullet. I think the 7mag is a good round for the job. Axis are tough animals. Two other family members killed with 30-06 and a 270. I think you have a great round for the job. The 270 and 7mm bullets are very comparable. The mag will be a little faster. Bottom line take what you have unless you need an excuse to buy a new rifle![emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by RStrick View Post
            I have killed one with a 30-06 150grn spire point bullet, my wife just killed one with a 6.5 creedmoor 143grn eld-x bullet. I think the 7mag is a good round for the job. Axis are tough animals. Two other family members killed with 30-06 and a 270. I think you have a great round for the job. The 270 and 7mm bullets are very comparable. The mag will be a little faster. Bottom line take what you have unless you need an excuse to buy a new rifle![emoji106]

Always a good excuse to buy a new rifle

Comment

Any holes from the shot can be sewed and fixed. Unless ya just wanna buy a new gun you are good to go with the 7mm. Have fun and good luck!
              Just saw your last post, dads killed a pile of em with his 270, so now that ya got a caliber you just have to pick a gun :-)

Comment

My advice:

7mag is fine... just pay attention to your bullet selection like Shane pointed out.

Research for yourself the vital location on Axis. It is my belief based on research and experience that Axis vitals are narrower and further forward than a WT.

If you have a good taxi... let them worry about sewing. Just focus on getting an Axis on the ground dead. You kinda sound like you are approaching this as if it is a done deal. It is not. Axis are tough critters.

congrats and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by roostar14 View Post
                  Always a good excuse to buy a new rifle
                  ALWAYS a good excuse to buy a new rifle. Good luck on the hunt man.

Comment

Originally posted by kenneypowers View Post
                    ALWAYS a good excuse to buy a new rifle. Good luck on the hunt man.
                    thanks bud! now I know nothing is certain but I know one thing is. that axis bull has shown up every day between daylight and 9 am at the same feeder like clock work. I just gotta hope he stays on schedule. it is low fence and free ranging criters. wish I could post a pic of this bull hes nice!

Comment

I've killed a bunch of them with a 270, but I don't see any reason you go out and buy a new gun... unless you want to

Comment

The 270 is just fine. I have guided many hunters for axis that use 270's. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the least to use one.

Comment

I've killed them with my .30-06, .243, and my bow. My brother has killed two with his .243. There vitals are more forward, so I always aim straight up the front leg and middle of the body and it's worked for me. Any gun that you would use on a whitetail will work just fine.

But, like it's been said, it's a good excuse to buy a new rifle!

Comment

Vitals are forward on an axis. Shoot him right thru the shoulder, not behind it. 7 mag is great on axis. They are a tough animal. Barnes triple shock is what I shoot. You will get an entrance and an exit but small hole on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              7 mag is great for an axis. Buy a new rifle if you want to, but it's not necessary. Bullet has a lot more to do with cape damage than caliber. Stay away from hollow points and any bullet that fragments badly. Stick with an AccuBond, Partition, or some other bullet that holds together well.

'Nuff said! Save your money and put and put it away towards your #1 bucket list animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X