Box Blind Roofing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Blind Roofing Question

I've been browsing the forum for some inspiration on my upcoming, first archery box blind build - and there's plenty of great designs using all kinds of different materials. I think I've got sizing and materials fairly planned and drawn out with one exception.. the roof. Mainly around the best materials to use and how to best go about making it seal up to be air-tight. Not that I don't enjoy cleaning wasps, scorpions, and spiders out of my other blinds every spring.. but I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

Any advice here on the best materials to use for roof longevity (shingles, tin, etc) and how to best go about snugging it down to the walls to keep scent in and critters/weather out will be much appreciated.

Was planning on 6" of pitch from front to back, with 12" of overhang all around to keep water from settling on the roof and off the walls. Smart Panel siding for the walls and treated 2X4s/OSB for the flooring on tower brackets.

Thanks in advance!

There have been some nice roofs on here and then plain ol tin. I have just used tin. Overhang is good and should help with sun. Get some of the door and window spray foam in a can to fill your gaps on the inside.

Comment

Go to a metal shop and have them make you a fitted metal roof.

Comment

I made the roof on my box blind out of plywood. I then put flashing around the edges and topped it with rolled roofing. (made out of the same material as asphalt shingles.) It is heavy and would probably blow off going down the road on a trailer so it is best to put on as a last step when you have the blind in place. It is very durable - mine has been out in the weather for 5 years and is in fine shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
          Go to a metal shop and have them make you a fitted metal roof.
          Obviously it would depend on how big your blind is, but that sounds pricey?

Comment

We build blinds for people and the most economical way is to put plywood on roof, either put flashing on edges or put silicone on groove where plywood meets or trim it then put the corrugated metal on the top that you can buy at Lowes or HD. I buy alot of metal and the metal shops will gouge you on R-panel.
            Last edited by jtaubrey; 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I had a tin shop make mine. They were on a 4X4 blind and cost $75.00 each. Good luck

Comment

I've used, old used above ground pool siding. find someone that is tearing one down or just has a roll from an old one. Most the time they just give it away to get rid of it. Ive also used it as siding.

Comment

Best and simplest way I have found to make a "tight" roof is to use tin and plywood. I build my blind walls equal height. I then use plywood screwed to the to plate for a ceiling. This can be caulked to make it airtight. I then lay a 2x4 flat across the front edge,extending 12" on each side. I then lay a 1x4 flat across the center, same overhang. Last, I screw a 2x4 flush with the top of the roof along the back wall,again with 12" overhang. Then I simply screw on some good metal roofing. This gives me 1 1/2" fall from front to rear.

The wasps and critters can do whatever they want between the tin and plywood, they are not inside the blind.

Comment

EPDM material they use if for Pools, RV roofs etc...

Comment

Corrugated tin or R-panel and just use the foam closure strips along the bottom and at the peak.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

OSB roof then tin. Like a house

Comment

Working...
                        X