No announcement yet.

Any concrete guys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably not a major structural issue.... If it were me I'd insist that any loose material be removed, the holes pressure washed to clean out all clay, and filled with an epoxy repair material.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
      Can you stick a screwdriver/rebar in hole...how deep? 1" deep? or deeper? 1" deep, they worked mud into surface while troweling/bull mopping. Deeper(3" deep, or all the way through, are voids/hollow areas
      There are about 20 holes right now and some tiny spots that when you spray water over the top will bubble and you can see they are beginning to increase in size. As far as the big holes so far, a couple of at least 2 inches deep as I can get half my finger in there and the rest are still only about 1 inch or less. You can definitely feel that there is still sand at the bottom of some of the holes but EVENTUALLY with a screwdriver, you do hit concrete.

Concrete was poured in mid-November and these JUST started showing up about 2 weeks ago and only this bad in the past couple of days. Our contractor (also a good friend) has looked at it and said he has only seen this one other time so he has the concrete sub coming out at 4 to see what he has to say.

Again, this is only a SMALL portion of the concrete that was poured that has any issue. The concrete under the shop is fine as is the concrete on the side of the driveway closest to the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        How many failure areas (pockmarks) are there in how large an area?

Pock marking like this is common caused by a wet subgrade. Essentially, the concrete bleeds its own water during finishing, then sucks the moisture out of the ground as it dries out. If the subgrade is too wet, then this forms pockets of water in the concrete that becomes voids as time goes on. The concrete covering these pockets eventually fails and you will see the pock marks.

If it only happens in certain areas, it is often in the lower areas near drains because they stay wet longer after a rain.

As far as repair, grinding to clean concrete and using an approved repair material is adequate, but there are probably voids that are not yet exposed to the surface. The only sure way to repair concrete is to remove and replace joint to joint.

I have seen paving areas where this doesn't manifest for many years depending on many factors like traffic and prevalence of failures. I have also seen very pockmarked areas that performed satisfactorily for many years. This can be vary between not a huge problem to a substantial contributor to paving failure.

There are other possible issues that can cause this, but wet subgrade is the most common.

I would push for a solution with your contractor now as opposed to later when your warranty is likely up. Industry standard for concrete paving warranties is 1 year.

I have been pouring concrete since I was 13 years old (now 39) and have done everything from sidewalks to highrise, residential to industrial, and repair to new construction. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

Good luck,

EG
        Thanks! I think you may have nailed it. It had rained about 24 hours before so the subgrade was wet. As I stated in my last post, there is only the LAST area they poured which has any issue and it's also the lowest part of the grade where they made it run off to the side and into the pasture so it would have been the wettest and any extra water there would have been pushed that way...

Comment

The blue Xs are where the "holes" are (and the last part that was poured) and the yellow dot is where the water runs off the side... the darker concrete where the truck is has been there for 10 years. The part in front of the shop where the shop shades it in this picture, all appears fine..

Comment

I'm sticking with clay balls, especially since it appears to be isolated to one load.....

Comment

Either clay balls or possibly the finishers got mud or clay on their boots and kicked it off as they were dragging the concrete, either way it is an easy fix.

Comment

These are clayballs, not hurting the integrity of the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                  Thanks! I think you may have nailed it. It had rained about 24 hours before so the subgrade was wet. As I stated in my last post, there is only the LAST area they poured which has any issue and it's also the lowest part of the grade where they made it run off to the side and into the pasture so it would have been the wettest and any extra water there would have been pushed that way...
                  That's not a high traffic area. He should have no issue repairing the holes. Even if more holes pop up, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Comment

Do you by chance have the ticket with the printed weights?

Comment

not to detract from Op issue but since several guys with concrete experience. What is the going rate per yard for concrete. I have been quoted $120 a yard out here in Midland.

Comment

I'll have to ask my wife she knows everything

Comment

Those are mudballs, or clayballs as said previously. Usually, from the loader operator at the plant scraping the bottom of the stockpile and picking up bits of mud, or dirt. A few are nothing to worry about and can be patched.
                          It looks like you have several. Depending on how you feel about paying for a new driveway and then getting a patch job I would talk to the contractor about replacing the panels from the last load and he should get his concrete supplier involved in the cost. Those are just the ones you see on the surface, rest assured they are the tip of the iceberg and there are more below the surface waiting to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                            not to detract from Op issue but since several guys with concrete experience. What is the going rate per yard for concrete. I have been quoted $120 a yard out here in Midland.
                            Ready-Mix Pricing varies wildly across Texas, due mostly to the distances from the aggregate and cement sources used in the mix design. I'm not familiar with Midland, but I wouldn't think $120 would be unreasonable... it's more than that around Lubbock or Childress.

Comment

Lyme disease!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did not read all the comments but....
                                Since this was poured in November I’d be willing to bet the ground was muddy and mud got tracked into/onto the concrete then got worked into the surface.
                                I’ve seen it happen before.
                                Remedy... pressure wash the holes and let dry then fill with appropriate patch.
                                Still going to look rough cosmetically but structurally should be fine.
                                Ps... that is a prettty rough broom finish . IMO!!

Comment

Working...
                                X