Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
BTGuard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iowa
Default Traveling nurses?

My fiance is currently in nursing school, and graduates with a bsn in May of next year. She was talking about potentially looking at doing a traveling nursing job for a couple years. With my job I can pretty much live wherever, and just fly back to my territory whenever required, so it seems like it could be a good way to see some country before settling down too much.
Anyone either done this or had a family member that did? Good and bad? Sounds like pay can be quite a bit better then normal, plus good experience and they pay for housing and moving.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BTGuard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

When I lived in la I knew a couple girls that did it and they loved it. It depends who you work for and what contracts you get on the moving and housing stuff from what I remember but they made good money and lived at the beach so seemed like a good gig.

My buddies wife here in DFW did it for a couple years and it brought her to Texas from NE, she got out of the traveling side and loves it here so much now she just does contract work
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Buy an RV and go for it... sounds like a blast!!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

My wife just finished up at Texas Tech. She has talked about doing something similar but after she was offered up at Seton here in Austin she decided take the job and build some experience. We also have two kids which complicates things a bit. Good luck and congrats to your lady!
Stoof is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

I never did it, but worked with a bunch of them way back in the day when I was an ER Nurse. Yes, you can make a bunch of money, but life on the road isn't for anyone. Additionally, most of the floor staff really have a problem with "Travelers". I think this is largely due to the fact that they do make more money than regular hospital staff, but they also don't have the same benefits package (if any), plus the transient nature of their work is also a factor. I tried to explain this to regular hospital staff, but was never able to get them to understand or accept this.

Several years ago, I knew a traveling nurse and her husband, who was a respiratory therapist. Both were determined to travel around the world at their own pace, and not spend a lot of money while doing it. They had an old panel van they converted to a living space, and would meet with a hospital administrator and work out a deal. In return for letting them park at the hospital at no charge, and giving them free bathroom privileges, and allowing them to run a single extension cord from their van to the hospital, they would work at the hospital for $X.00 and be available for call duty.

Most hospital administrators jumped at the deal, and my friends stayed at a place until they wanted to start traveling again, and off they would go. As you can imagine, they saved a ton of money, and they were going to build their dream home once they decided to finally settle down.

Qualified nurses are hard to find. Good, qualified nurses are even harder to find. I wish you and your fiancÚ good luck, much happiness, and a great life together.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

The ones I’ve met out here on the road are some of the happiest people you’ll meet, even before they get their financial house fully in order.

Most of them ‘get it’ and are willing to sacrifice now to live the life they want later.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
BTGuard
Ten Point

That's kind of what we are thinking. Work hard and get some traveling in now, then we can settle down that much more comfortably down the road.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGuard View Post
My fiance is currently in nursing school, and graduates with a bsn in May of next year. She was talking about potentially looking at doing a traveling nursing job for a couple years. With my job I can pretty much live wherever, and just fly back to my territory whenever required, so it seems like it could be a good way to see some country before settling down too much.
Anyone either done this or had a family member that did? Good and bad? Sounds like pay can be quite a bit better then normal, plus good experience and they pay for housing and moving.

I'm actually considering it once my kiddos are out of school. That will be another 8 years however, I've yet to find a travel nursing agency that will touch someone with less than 2 years experience or more, depending on specialty. So she's gonna need to find a job and get some experience first.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
I'm actually considering it once my kiddos are out of school. That will be another 8 years however, I've yet to find a travel nursing agency that will touch someone with less than 2 years experience or more, depending on specialty. So she's gonna need to find a job and get some experience first.
That's been the biggest question. I've of the nurses at the hospital she's doing labs at said she did it straight out of school, so will have to see how that works out as well.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Cuda
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: TX

I was a travel nurse recruiter for 4 years. I can tell you pretty much everything you need to know about travel nursing. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Also, check out a blog called BluePipes. Google bluepipes travel nursing. There is a ton of info in there that will help. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me since this is my first post.
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
Buy an RV and go for it... sounds like a blast!!
This.
Matt_C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I've known a number of girls who have done this and they all really enjoyed it. Most of them are still doing it years after starting!
Kmart49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
ramrod
Six Point

She wanting to be a travel nurse that provides at home care or a travel nurse that is contracted by different hospitals on an as needed basis?
ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
She wanting to be a travel nurse that provides at home care or a travel nurse that is contracted by different hospitals on an as needed basis?
Contracted to hospitals. Sounds like you typically spend about 3 months before either extending or transferring... We both like to travel so it seems like it could be a decent chance to see some different areas a little more in depth then just short vacations, and for a little cheaper.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
I was a travel nurse recruiter for 4 years. I can tell you pretty much everything you need to know about travel nursing. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Also, check out a blog called BluePipes. Google bluepipes travel nursing. There is a ton of info in there that will help. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me since this is my first post.
Thanks for the tips. She is still a little over a year from graduating so she has some time before getting serious. Just trying to see some options now!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
Hawgdog374
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman, Whitney

My son did the traveling nurse for 4-5 years. He bought a RV and was in Oreogon and Washington. Traveling nurse was paid so much for housing and he put it on his RV and saved a lot of money. He loved it and the area up NorthWest is beautiful.
Hawgdog374 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgdog374 View Post
My son did the traveling nurse for 4-5 years. He bought a RV and was in Oreogon and Washington. Traveling nurse was paid so much for housing and he put it on his RV and saved a lot of money. He loved it and the area up NorthWest is beautiful.
Is never even thought about an rv. That would be a tempting option.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
txhunter90
Eight Point

Quote:

Good buddy of mine his wife and 2 kids have been all over the country. (Hawaii, Idaho, Utah, and a few others I can not remember. They bought a camper and pull it wherever they decide to go. Brings home some cash every week too, he didn't work just home schooled the kids. They continue to take assignments ever so often when they want a change it up. She will stay PRN at the local hospital so when she comes back she can still work I believe. Like others have said, she will have to have some sort of experience usually for ICU, NICU, or OB at least a year experience. My wife and I have talked about it briefly before kids, but we havent made the plunge. Good luck hope it works out.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
8mpg
Ten Point

Quote:
That's been the biggest question. I've of the nurses at the hospital she's doing labs at said she did it straight out of school, so will have to see how that works out as well.

My advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.

I work at a higher acuity hospital in DFW and we have travelers from time to time. We had a couple young girls from Alabama come in thinking they were prepared for their job and boy were they wrong. There is a huge learning curve with each hospital and how they operate, their charting system and most importantly their patient type. One of the girls had a major screw up and the patient coded from titrating the pressors the wrong way. Simple mistake but she just didnt understand what the drug was.

I would highly suggest a year or two at a bigger hospital to learn her foundations, medications, etc before venturing off. Dont forget...hospitals that hire travelers are doing so because they are in trouble. Their staff quit, they are overrun by patients, dont pay their staff well, etc. A hospital doesnt hire travelers when things are good. Strike nurses make killer money but dont forget, there is a huge liability walking into a hospital where all the staff walked out.

One last bit... lots of these assignments are not necessarily where you want to travel. Hawaii may sound good but doesnt pay crap. California is very hard to get into but pays great. If you're willing to pay $2500/month rent (or take the free housing sharing a place with other people). My friend Emy is paying $900 and lives with 4 families. And you need to work with a few agencies. The Alabama girls I mentioned earlier were getting paid less than me after taking the free housing they shared. I wasnt making that much money then

Last edited by 8mpg; 04-18-2018 at 08:36 PM.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #20
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
my advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.
x1,000,000!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
My advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.

I work at a higher acuity hospital in DFW and we have travelers from time to time. We had a couple young girls from Alabama come in thinking they were prepared for their job and boy were they wrong. There is a huge learning curve with each hospital and how they operate, their charting system and most importantly their patient type. One of the girls had a major screw up and the patient coded from titrating the pressors the wrong way. Simple mistake but she just didnt understand what the drug was.

I would highly suggest a year or two at a bigger hospital to learn her foundations, medications, etc before venturing off. Dont forget...hospitals that hire travelers are doing so because they are in trouble. Their staff quit, they are overrun by patients, dont pay their staff well, etc. A hospital doesnt hire travelers when things are good. Strike nurses make killer money but dont forget, there is a huge liability walking into a hospital where all the staff walked out.

One last bit... lots of these assignments are not necessarily where you want to travel. Hawaii may sound good but doesnt pay crap. California is very hard to get into but pays great. If you're willing to pay $2500/month rent (or take the free housing sharing a place with other people). My friend Emy is paying $900 and lives with 4 families. And you need to work with a few agencies. The Alabama girls I mentioned earlier were getting paid less than me after taking the free housing they shared. I wasnt making that much money then
Great advice. Thanks. A year or 2 of experience sounds like a big deal. We still have time to figure all this out, but the more we talk the more we are thinking a year may be a good idea somewhere before reevaluating

Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #22
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

High pay. Low benefits.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #23
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great advice. Thanks. A year or 2 of experience sounds like a big deal. We still have time to figure all this out, but the more we talk the more we are thinking a year may be a good idea somewhere before reevaluating

FYI, many hospitals that have a "Residency" or internship program for new nurses will often require a contract to work for usually 2-3 years after the training period is over...
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
BTGuard
Ten Point

That department is all her! Luckily I can be pretty much anywhere for my job. We have 3 cities she is planning on applying in, and hopefully can choose from there whichever place offers the best choice.