Looking for ideas on Tailgate Feeders/Spreaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas on Tailgate Feeders/Spreaders

I'd like to be able to throw some milo along the dirt road on the property at the hunting lease to attract more quail. Throwing seed and corn using a tailgate feeder is what I'm wanting to build "cheaply". I will be mounting it to the 2" receiver and getting power using the trailer connector turn signals I think...but I need some help on how to actually build the feeder. Throw some pics and ideas at me if you have already accomplished something like this. Thanks

I would look on craigs list for a used tailgate feeder of modify a hanging feeder that will hang from your reciever hitch and use one of the remote controls.

Comment

Very easy. My buddy who knows more about electrical stuff made one for me. Using a Straight Shooter from kenco, he wired the feeder to run off a toggle switch, wiith an extension. I just hit the toggle and the feed goes out. I just bought the feeder part as one can find any type container they wish and cheaper. The feeder goes on a rack for my ATV, and I feed the roads Look around for the feeder motor you can get them pretty cheap if you look. I paid 35 for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
        Very easy. My buddy who knows more about electrical stuff made one for me. Using a Straight Shooter from kenco, he wired the feeder to run off a toggle switch, wiith an extension. I just hit the toggle and the feed goes out. I just bought the feeder part as one can find any type container they wish and cheaper. The feeder goes on a rack for my ATV, and I feed the roads Look around for the feeder motor you can get them pretty cheap if you look. I paid 35 for mine.

http://www.huntstuff.com/catalog_ven...rfeeder30.html
        There are alot of cheap tailgate feeders on ebay. Just look once a week or so.

Comment

[ATTACH]78116[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]78115[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]78114[/ATTACH]

Comment

Great design david. Thats what I'm wanting. I PM'e d you for a little more info on the motor assembly and construction.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Gives me a great start for how to build the mounting brackets for the barrel. Will that type of spinner throw smaller seed and milo as well as corn?
            Last edited by rbljack; 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

get a 50 cal ammo can. It has a rubber o-ring seal in the top and is easily opened when you need to refill the can. Go to an ace hardware, or anywhere that sells the HCR components and get a 12v motor and one of the spring activated spinner plates. You will also need a spinner plate funnel that will go thru the bottom of the ammo can.Cut a hole in the bottom of the ammo can with a metal hole saw and put in your funnel. The bottom of the funnel should be just about the bottom of the spring loaded spinner plate about 1/4 of an inch. This will stop the flow of seed / corn when the motor is not activated. You may have some small leakage from vibration when driving. The box will hold 50 lbs of corn for sure, I do not know about milo. The motor can then be hooked up to a remote that you can purchase at academy, ace hardware, gander mountain, bass pro for 12.00 to 18.00 dollars. It throws when the juice hits it and stops when it goes away. This way you do not have to mess with any kind of gates in your supply stream of milo.Here is the material list of what I used:

1 ammo can- 15.00
              1 spring loaded spinner plate- 15.00
              1 12v HCR feeder motor- 20.00
              1 spinner plate funnel- 3.00
              misc, 1 1/4 angle iron for the mounts- 5.00
              mine attaches to my atv so, whatever the cost will be for the square tubing for the hitch.

Comment

If your hooking up to an ATV then you can do like what we did and wire it to your lights so all you have to do is hit your light switch and that feeds power to your spreader.

Comment

Always wanted to make one out of a beer keg....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    that would be sweet!

Comment

A 15 gal barrell will hold about 80 lbs of corn. You can get a motor, spinner, and deflection plates all sold as one piece for about $50. A little more than what you can buy each piece separetly but save you some work in putting it all together. Just bolt it on to the barrell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

I may have a couple of old kegs from my party years... I will check the next time I go back to the home town..

Comment

I bought mine at Academy for $95. They don't get much cheaper than that. It had a cupped spinner plate, but a manual gate. I had it on a 4wheeler so I would just reach back and open and shut the gate as needed. Otherwise it would trickle corn out. With milo it would leak even worse. You would be money ahead in my opinion to go with a Spin Tech that opens and closes automatically. They are a little pricey though.

Comment

Spin Tech is money!

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                              I may have a couple of old kegs from my party years... I will check the next time I go back to the home town..
                              We need a roadtrip for kegs and a hog trap followed by a little fabrication time very soon

Comment

Working...
                              X