Vortex viper vs. leupold vx3i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for input from people who have used these.. getting ready to go buy and have narrowed it down to vortex viper hs 4x14x44 or leupold 4.5x14x40.. not looking to hear about customer service on either company I believe both are good in that area. What I'm looking for is quality of the 2, how they draw light in dim conditions, holding 0 with high recoil rifle, reliability. Any input would be appreciated, it's going on nice rifle so I want the better quality of the 2.

Leupold hands down. I've had problems in low light and as the sun is setting or rising with all the vortex scopes I have used. I haven't tried a razor but the others have all done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
      Leupold hands down. I've had problems in low light and as the sun is setting or rising with all the vortex scopes I have used. I haven't tried a razor but the others have all done it.

I've experienced this same issue with my Viper. Great scope except for low light conditions, which is when we tend to need it most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I placed a VX-3i on a rifle last year & can say it's the best glass I've purchased in the last 5-10 years

Comment

Another vote against Vortex. The Diamondback on my Ruger sucks in low light or with any kind of sun glare. Will never buy another Chinese or Phillipino scope.

Comment

I really have no experience with these 2 but I do have a Viper PST 4-16x50 with Tac Turrets. I wished I would have just spent a little more and got a Leupold. Eye relief and low light is not good so I'm not impressed. I have now bought a Vortex twice. The first one and the last one!

Comment

leupold VX3 is an excellent scope

Comment

I have two of the VX3I LRP's. Dang impressive pieces of glass. You wont be disappointed.

Comment

I have both of the scopes you mentioned (I think you meant Viper 4-16 x 44.)
                    I like both quite a bit. The only advantage I think the Leupold has over the Viper is clearer image at full magnification. I much prefer the Vortex turrets over Leupold's and I like Vortex's dead hold reticles better than Leupold wind-plex, LR, or boone and crockett reticles.
                    Some people really like to harp on Vortex optics but I have several Viper scopes and haven't had any problems with them.
                    Last edited by Sika; 08-04-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I've never owned Vortex...but can say I have always been pleased with the performance of my Leupolds.

Comment

I have multiple of both. Buy Leupold. Glass is better, low light is better and warranty is same with less chance of needing it.

Comment

I recently purchased a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40.

I was told it edges out the leuopold in low light.....

Mounted it and haven't had a chance to sight it in yet

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            I have both of the scopes you mentioned (I think you meant Viper 4-16 x 44.)
                            I like both quite a bit. The only advantage I think the Leupold has over the Viper is clearer image at full magnification. I much prefer the Vortex turrets over Leupold's and I like Vortex's dead hold reticles better than Leupold wind-plex, LR, or boone and crockett reticles.
                            Some people really like to harp on Vortex optics but I have several Viper scopes and haven't had any problems with them.
                            I have to agree with her. I've had the Viper and love it with the exception of image quality at long range.

All the haters are likely talking about the lessor lines but the 4-16 PST is a lot of scope for the money. I've found that low light is good enough to kill at reasonable ranges up to legal shooting light. Where they lose out to higher cost scopes IMO is sharpness and color of image at really long ranges.

Having said that, I've moved over to the VX6 line but that's a completely different price range of scope which IMO fits a niche really really well.

If you want to really evaluate a scope, set several on a table or bench rest side by side. Pick out a tree at long range, what ever that range is to you. Look through the different scopes and various times of the day and see how much more minute details you can pick out among the different scopes. Look for size and shape of leaves, vines and try to pick out details in the shadows. That has told me a great deal about scopes. If you can do with deer even better and more fun.
                            Last edited by Slick8; 08-05-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I have been using Vortex for the past three years now and won't buy anything else.

On my 7x57 Mauser I use a 4-12 x 40 Vortex Diamond Back. Since I started using the scope I have made more accurate shots at longer distances. The low light conditions is great for me, I do plenty night hunting.

On my 416 Rigby I use a 2.5-10 x 44 Vortex Viper with Illuminated cross hairs.
                              Even on this big bore rifle the Vortex has stood up to the test, I have sighted the rifle once and never touched it again. The furthest shot I have made with it was 350y and spot on.

I also have a pair on 10 x 42 Vortex Diamond Back binoculars and I am awaiting the new pair that replaced the old pair under guarantee after it was chewed on by a Hyena. Vortex replaced the old pair, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Comment

Working...
                              X