Rain gauge in ml converted to inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain gauge in ml converted to inches

I put up a rain gauge not knowing it was in ml. Today I got 14ml of rain. What is that in inches? Found one conversion that said .85" but seems like I got more than that. I've googled and and there are lots of different answers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

just take a tape measure and measure it....Should work as long as the cylinder is not tapered.

Comment

There's an app for that.

Comment

A conversion between mL (volume) and inches (length) requires an area input. In this case, the area of the cylinder... maybe. From the apparent scale of the thing, those do not look like milliliters.

Read the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
          just take a tape measure and measure it....Should work as long as the cylinder is not tapered.
          or this

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
            I put up a rain gauge not knowing it was in ml. Today I got 14ml of rain. What is that in inches? Found one conversion that said .85" but seems like I got more than that. I've googled and and there are lots of different answers.

That's the right conversion. 14 ml = .85 cubic inches.

Comment

My guess is you got 1.4 ml of rain because 15 ml of rain is out the top of that tube thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                My guess is you got 1.4 ml of rain because 15 ml of rain is out the top of that tube thingy.
                Huh?

Comment

So--borrow a buddy's gauge marked in inches, fill it and pour it into the ml tube an inch at a time and mark the inches on the ml tube. Done!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    So--borrow a buddy's gauge marked in inches, fill it and pour it into the ml tube an inch at a time and mark the inches on the ml tube. Done!
                    The only way that would work is if both rain gauges had the exact same size tube. If that was the case then you could just hold them side by side and tell how much rain you got in inches.

Comment

I would just go a buy a new rain gauge. That would drive me crazy.

Comment

google it. 14 ml equal .85 cubic inches
                        Last edited by Masmak; 06-02-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                          That's the right conversion. 14 ml = .85 cubic inches.
                          Thanks. Figured it was right. Yesterday down the road we got 1/2" and my gauge said 3.5ml which would be less than a 1/4". Guess it rained more down there.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                            The only way that would work is if both rain gauges had the exact same size tube. If that was the case then you could just hold them side by side and tell how much rain you got in inches.
                            Oops! You are spot-on. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
                            X