What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think?

On purpose or not? Unsportsmanlike or not?

Shooting in an ASA qualifier and have a good score going, the only adult in your group starts talking to you at the stake. His comments aren't negative, but does seem to time them to the final steps of your routine. Comments like "Get another 12; keep it going!" Additionally, while not shooting he's talking a lot about your form, game, and score.

After the event, he makes comments to others that he hopes he didn't make you nervous.

Left feeling like the whole thing was intentional. mind game. I've always thought it's common courtesy to absolutely not talk to the person at the stake.

What are your thoughts? Would you have said something to him? What about talking about score? I've shot a lot of events with a lot of groups and never brought up score outside of verifying the running total.

Poor form on his part, at best. If he was doing it on purpose to rattle you, it's pretty childish IMO. I never shot any archery tournaments, but I've shot many, many sporting clays tournaments, and concentration is key for me. Banter never bothered me, but a misfire would ruin my day.

There is a reason that everybody is quiet on the golf course when a player is about to putt !

Comment

at face value it sounds like he was trying to distract on purpose.

Comment

I've shot tournaments with guys who are good friends that razz each other a bit and try to get in the other guy's head. However they know how far to push it and when to shut up. I would be really annoyed if it was coming from some random guy I didn't know. Even if the comments are not negative they are messing with your concentration.

Comment

Should have included one other detail. He's a fellow competitor in the same class.

Comment

Shoulda called him out on it and made him look childish. A little ribbing between buddies is one thing but thats bs

Comment

Just like golf. If your playing a serious game, no chit chatting while someone is hitting. Leave the BS'n for the ride to the next hole.

Comment

I missed out on the gene that make folks take things too seriously.

When I have the chance to go to t 3-D shoot, Im there to have fun. If it was not fun I would not go.
                There may well be a bunch of folks who dont want to shoot with me but they are kind enough not to tell me

Well except for Chris.
                He told me when ever he shot with Mark and myself he always shot 10 or 15 points lower than he could have but that it was worth it to have such a fun day.

I always thought of 3-D as practice for hunting. If someone talking messes up your shot you are likely to have a heck of a time when your heart is racing looking at a deer.

Comment

You should have drawn, then turned your head back toward him letting the arrow fly while looking him in the eye. When it hit the 12, walk back to the stake staring him down!

JK, but it does sound questionable on his part.

Comment

When he said
                    "I hope I didn't make him nervous"
                    It made me think that it was his intention.

Comment

Bad form

nobody talks to golfers, shooters, bowlers... I woulda said something if I noticed it... but I DEFINATLY got the gene where competition is huge... I have trouble just "playing around" winning is fun.. and that is my goal... sooooo I have to realy watch my situation

the exception is golf... I DONT GOLF... so if I'm going... its a joke already lol

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

When I have the chance to go to t 3-D shoot, Im there to have fun.
                        Buff,
                        I'm serious about archery, but I love the tournaments because I have fun. I love competing, but have a great time doing it. If you ask me, ASA people are fantastic, even my fellow competitors. I don't need total silence, and don't mind teasing, but reflecting on the long drive home left me feeling cheated.

Thanks for your perspective.

Comment

The responsibility is yours. I have competed in many national events and have always been able to focus on my job and not the surroundings.
                          I would have increased my focus and turned it back on him.
                          There will always be people who try to bring your score down instead of bringing theirs up.
                          Again the responsibility is yours, if you feel the need, ask for him to be silent.
                          If this bothers you, how would you handle cameras in your face and 2000 spectators.

Comment

I think he was trying to get in your head, and it was probably less than the good sportsmanship, but some people willuse that against you. You're going to have to learn to ignore those people, or say hey when I'm at the stake - please don't talk to me. The better of the two would be to learn to shoot with someone talking to you, just let them fall completely away.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

When I have the chance to go to t 3-D shoot, Im there to have fun. If it was not fun I would not go.
                              There may well be a bunch of folks who dont want to shoot with me but they are kind enough not to tell me

Well except for Chris.
                              He told me when ever he shot with Mark and myself he always shot 10 or 15 points lower than he could have but that it was worth it to have such a fun day.

I always thought of 3-D as practice for hunting. If someone talking messes up your shot you are likely to have a heck of a time when your heart is racing looking at a deer.
                              I only go to the 3D shoots I do go to just to have fun too

But I can appreciate the seriousness of the OP and others who are highly competitive with the 3D shooting

For the record I believe that the individual described above is a poor sportsman and should have a complaint filed on him with the people that run the event

Hope you outscored him

Comment

Working...
                              X