Wood, fixing a split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood, fixing a split

Finishing a cabinet. Noticed a split down the grain in a corner. Seems to be about 1" long & 1" wide so far. Don't think it would be structurally unsound and it is on the bottom in a corner and not noticeable. Not a wide split, I can pinch it and close it up to where you can barely see it. First thought was to inject some glue into split and clamp it til it dries. But that would mean opening it up more and maybe making the split longer. If gluing I would think I would need a small needle and thin glue so as not to widen split even more. Would you worry about it or glue it? Your thoughts please.

post a pic of it, hard to say without seeing it

Comment

agreed with Rick, need to take a peek first, before advising.

Comment

Pics? For about $5 you can buy a glue syringe - online or from a woodworking store - that should work well. (I have also used a syringe made for marinade injection.) Experiment a little first, you may have to thin the glue a bit. In most cases a properly glued/clamped crack will not be noticeable after it dries.

Comment

I have never been able to post pics, tried many times following instructions in help forum and never works. I will probably use medical syringe because I have them for my goats. Was thinkin super glue because it is thin and would work in the relatively small needle but have never used it on wood. Would it Work? If not, can you thin Elmers wood glue and it still hold?

Comment

It does not take much liquid to thin wood glue so mix in a little at a time. (use water or vinegar) Woodworkers do it in situations when the need longer dry-time. The bond may not be as strong as using full strength glue but from your description it doesn't sound like the repair is going to be under any load so it should be fine.

Comment

Paint or stain? if paint, you can drill a hole at the end of the crack and will prevent it from continuing. Then fill with a 2 part wood filler - it will dry rock hard (i use minwax and it dries very quickly) but it will not take stain.
              Last edited by TeamAmerica; 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM. Reason: correct type

Comment

Update: Went to get the syringe and needle @ Angleton Feed store. Talking to the guy behind the counter about what I needed it for. Taking his advice,ended up using a 16 Ga. needle, Elmers wood glue soaked in hot water to thin it. Heated a quart of water in Microwave, immersing the glue in the hot water. Doing this twice thinned the glue enough to get into the syringe and inject it into the crack.It is drying as we speak. will re-visit tomorrow to see if it is dry
                I want to thank all who replied this thread! Maybe the suggestions you guys gave will stick in the brain pan and I can use them later.
                Ps : the people @ Angleton feed can and will work with you on things you may not realize. Great bunch of people.

Comment

Another glue to try is the runny super glue---it will wick into the very narrow voids.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                    Update: Went to get the syringe and needle @ Angleton Feed store. Talking to the guy behind the counter about what I needed it for. Taking his advice,ended up using a 16 Ga. needle, Elmers wood glue soaked in hot water to thin it. Heated a quart of water in Microwave, immersing the glue in the hot water. Doing this twice thinned the glue enough to get into the syringe and inject it into the crack.It is drying as we speak. will re-visit tomorrow to see if it is dry
                    I want to thank all who replied this thread! Maybe the suggestions you guys gave will stick in the brain pan and I can use them later.
                    Ps : the people @ Angleton feed can and will work with you on things you may not realize. Great bunch of people.
                    Did you put some type of clamp on it? I assume you did. Could also put a brad nail in the front if it isn't stained yet and then use some saw dust to make your own wood filler so the color matches.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Another glue to try is the runny super glue---it will wick into the very narrow voids.
                      Thought about it but did not know about its abilities on bare wood.
                      dhillis. yes, clamped it. Took the clamp off this evening and seems to be holding great. Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
                      X