Jack Russell nipping advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Russell nipping advise

I have a 3 y/o JRT that has gotten to where he snaps at you if you try to take something he is chewing on. I have tried saying “No” or “Drop it” in a stern voice before reaching down to grab what he is chewing on but that doesn’t seem to help. Today my daughter in law came over to visit and he was jumping on her and when she put her hand down to push him away he bit her on the hand. He didn’t break the skin but he left welts on her hand. He has not been neutered and I’m Wondering if that would help stop the problem. I’m worried about him biting one of my grandchildren.

Neuter and shock collar

Comment

Do they have a shock collar for nipping?

Comment

Oh yeah

Comment

My dogs are always trained from day one that I will take from them anytime I want and if they ever so much as growl at me I will severely punish them. If they bite someone after being trained I will put them down.
          My dogs are happy and have a good home but they know their place.

Comment

First time I have ever had a dog nip at me or anyone else I quickly reminded the dog who the alpha male was in a unforgettable experience and not one every nipped again

Comment

I have punished him severely before-( not beat but punish) and he didn’t seem to get the message. He knows when he has messed up because cowers down when I call him. Thing is he doesn’t required correcting unless he’s snapping. He’s a great dog otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                First time I have ever had a dog nip at me or anyone else I quickly reminded the dog who the alpha male was in a unforgettable experience and not one every nipped again
                This right here. You cannot negotiate with them, they must know their place.

Comment

Please make sure your kids are aware if they're letting your grandkids come visit. I'd be real upset if my kid got bit, and I wasn't warned of prior behavior.

Comment

Waiting for the HITIPs comments..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Waiting for the HITIPs comments..
                      You know it's coming any minute now. Hell, I almost laid it down myself just to get the party started.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
                        I have punished him severely before-( not beat but punish) and he didn’t seem to get the message. He knows when he has messed up because cowers down when I call him. Thing is he doesn’t required correcting unless he’s snapping. He’s a great dog otherwise.
                        If he's "nipping" and now biting, and you haven't beaten his *** into submission, then you're not serious about stopping it. Time Out don't work on dogs.

Comment

But it works on kids?

Comment

Grabhold of his snout tight and don't let him go for a minute or two. Let's them know who is in charge and the behavior is not allowed

He will will stop the behavior

Comment

Whoop his a**
                              Exact same thing with kids
                              Today they don't get a** whoopins
                              He will straighten up

Comment

Working...
                              X