Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

Hoping an electrician can give me a quick bit of advice.

My barn has 50amps of power running off the house. This is an older setup with a 6/2 feeder without a separate ground wire. The current subpanel in the barn is fed with the 6/2 with two hots and the bare ground as the neutral. There is a separate grounding rod outside the barn with a #6 or #4 grounding wire to it. I believe this was good enough for code until 2012 or so.

The question is, should the subpanel have the grounding screw in the panel to bond the ground and the neutral?

You should have four wires from main panel to sub panel with a isolated ground in the sub panel.

I say no on the bond screw redo the feeder.

Comment

Your neutrals should be grounded at only one location, your main panel. So any subpanel neutral bar should not be bonded to the ground in the subpanel.

Comment

Negative Ghostrider, you are only bonded, at the 1st disconnect, after the meter. As mentioned, you need a 4 wire feeder from main panel, and depending on code, you may or may not require a grounding rod.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll remove the bonding screw. This wiring has been there a long time. Im not too interested in digging the 150' to add a separate ground wire. If Im digging, Im going to have a separate meter installed.

Comment

You are using the bare ground in a 6/2 for a neutral?

I agree with what the others have said also.

Comment

The grounding conductor should be bonding the load center enclosure
              not on the neutral bar . If the barn has a metal frame it should be bonded
              also plus any metal piping .

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                You are using the bare ground in a 6/2 for a neutral?

I agree with what the others have said also.
                The wire is a 6/2 with black and white conductors as hots. The ground wire is goes from neutral bar in the main box to the neutral bar in the subpanel. This barn has been wired this way for Im guessing 20 or more years.

I dont think it matters, but this subpanel runs off a breaker and is not tied directly to the mains.

There is a pull string in the conduit. I wonder if it will hold for a pull of some 6ga for a proper neutral.
                Last edited by 8mpg; 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  The wire is a 6/2 with black and white conductors as hots. The ground wire is goes from neutral bar in the main box to the neutral bar in the subpanel. This barn has been wired this way for Im guessing 20 or more years.

I dont think it matters, but this subpanel runs off a breaker and is not tied directly to the mains.

There is a pull string in the conduit. I wonder if it will hold for a pull of some 6ga for a proper neutral.
                  If there is a pull string, I would pull another conductor in the conduit.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                    If there is a pull string, I would pull another conductor in the conduit.
                    I bet it don't pull to far being in that conduit for 20 plus years.

OP what part of Keller you in? Just curious I live just south of bear creak park.

Comment

Working...
                    X