Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please post your best Sandhill Crane recipes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please post your best Sandhill Crane recipes!

Seems like you really need to cook them right for them to turn out good. I have quite a few breast and would like to try a couple solid recipes. Thanks

....maybe even just post the way you cook them...method, to what temp, etc

Thanks

Comment

Cut into chunks, bacon wrapped, cook till medium rare . I’m pretty sure the guys that made it used mesquite wood that may or may not been started with diesel but it was quite possibly the best meat I’ve ever eaten!

Comment

Salt and pepper. Cook over mesquite wood fire coals to medium rare. Eat.

Can’t believe you would do anything else to them!
        Last edited by muddyz; 01-25-2020, 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling don’t kount

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post

This is how I cook them mostly. Hard to beat. Sometimes I will slice for fajitas after cooking this way. I have even chicken fried them before. A little different flavor that way, but not bad.

Also, cook the legs/thighs in crockpot for shredded tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post

Keep it simple. This here. Salt , coarse pepper and hot coals. Quick flash to medium rare.

Comment

I like to use them for a lot of stuff but my favorite is steaks and fajitas. Like anything else do not cook more than medium rare or it will be dry and taste awful. Legs and thighs make a good roast in the crock pot for pulled bbq or buffalo ranch. The heart done like a popper is better than any dove popper you’ll ever have. The gizzard ain’t bad but do some pre tenderizing before hand.

Comment

Montreal steak seasoning, Chupacabra, or just plain ol' salt and pepper. I cut the breast in half, wrap half a slice of bacon around the edge(like a bacon wrapped filet). Secure with a toothpick. Shake a little Worchestershire on the steaks. Grill over a hot fire to NO MORE THAN MEDIUM RARE. Eating does not get much better than this.

Comment

Like most have said above...

But when I wrap in bacon, I do a light dash of Tony’s and then baste with truffle oil! You can then sear on open fire or in the oven on broil, just really trying to crisp the bacon without cooking the crane so to speak.

Also remember to pull them “early” as I have got some perfect, them let them rest for 10 minutes and they are over done...

My personal favorite is to season with lemon pepper, garlic, and salt, then sear in a hotttt cast iron skillet, let rest for 5-10 minutes and you can slice like fajitas or serve with onion gravy. This also goes for ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I chicken fried some last night and it was great.

Comment

Appreciate the responses

Comment

I smoked one last night and it was pretty dang good.

Comment

[ATTACH]989657[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989658[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989659[/ATTACH]

Comment

I read about a few guys brining them. Anyone ever tried it?

I have some breasted out in the freezer but haven’t cooked them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                              [ATTACH]989657[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989658[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989659[/ATTACH]
                              That is burnt to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X