Is he dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is he dead?

Popped a coyote yesterday out the back porch. He was heading towards my lab in an outdoor kennel. The quickest gun I could grab was a single shot 22 with open sights. I hit him about 50-60 yds, due to the location I felt like I got him in the shoulder area. He hit the ground and did the spinning and yelping trying to find out what happened then ran off in the woods. I couldn’t get another shot off due to being a single shot.

Went and found decent blood on the ground that looked like liver, darker in color with no bubbles. Trailer him 30-40 yards in the woods and then the brush got so thick we backed out.

I think he’s dead somewhere. Was a big one probably in the 40-50 lb range. He’s been eating well on house cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah if you put it in the body it’ll die.

Comment

A 40# coyote not shot in the ear is a lot to ask from a 22lr

Stranger things have happened, though

Comment

Regardless if he is dead or not I bet he wont be back in your area

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          A 40# coyote not shot in the ear is a lot to ask from a 22lr

Stranger things have happened, though

Was the quickest gun I could get to and they don’t hang out long. I was surprised he stayed out as long as he did but was heading to the woods and luckily stopped and looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            Was the quickest gun I could get to and they don’t hang out long. I was surprised he stayed out as long as he did but was heading to the woods and luckily stopped and looked back.

I totally understand and would have done the same thing.

Comment

Most likely already dead. If not, shouldn't survive long crippled up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah he's not gonna make it most likely. I'm guessing he's already dead.

Comment

Man I killed an awful lot of coyotes with 22 CCI Mag Mag hollow points or Remington Yellow Jackets don’t remember losing any and some were pretty long shots I imagine he is dead

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    Popped a coyote yesterday out the back porch. He was heading towards my lab in an outdoor kennel. The quickest gun I could grab was a single shot 22 with open sights. I hit him about 50-60 yds, due to the location I felt like I got him in the shoulder area. He hit the ground and did the spinning and yelping trying to find out what happened then ran off in the woods. I couldn’t get another shot off due to being a single shot.

Went and found decent blood on the ground that looked like liver, darker in color with no bubbles. Trailer him 30-40 yards in the woods and then the brush got so thick we backed out.

I think he’s dead somewhere. Was a big one probably in the 40-50 lb range. He’s been eating well on house cats.

If it doesn't kill him it'll make him real sick.[emoji106][emoji41]

Gary

Comment

I love .22's. And .22 magnums. Unless you get a head shot, they are too slow to kill yotes and bobcats. Not judging as you use what you have on hand. Replied to relate a story of a yote, a .22mag, and a .22lr. My DA brother (now ex) in law were walking out of the woods after doing a varmint set, we we got to the edge of the woods there was a large yote sunning about 20yds out, We had good cover so I whispered to him to shoot it as he had the .22mag. He shoots it, and for some reason he hits it in the back foot. The yote starts spinning in circles biting at its foot. I had a nylon 66, so I start shooting the coyote in the chest, and she keeps spinning and biting her hind foot, until after the 7th shot in the chest, she finally lays down dead. That idiot could only manage to hit a coyote in the hind foot at 20yds while trying to make a head shot.
                      .22's will kill yotes and bobcats, just not quick enough to suit me. I did kill a bobcat at close range by shooting him in the chest as he was sitting looking right at me, but he jumped 6' in the air and hit the ground running in a circle and I couldn't catch him in the scope to shoot him again, kinda puckered for a few seconds there, he weighed 40 lbs. And that is the reason I didn't shoot once on a northwest tx varmint call in a wheat field one night when the spotlight revealed a mountain lion laying in a crouch about 75 yds off when all I had was a .22 mag.

If you hit the yote in the chest and had good blood, then he is dead. Maybe not quick, but his days getting the neighbors cats are over. I need one to spend a few nights in my neighborhood thinning out the feral cats we have.

Comment

The 22 LR will frequently not exit, the bullet will bounce around in the internals. This devastating damage to the organs. I'm sure he is dead!

Comment

I’ve killed many hogs and coyotes with a .22lr. Mostly ear and head shots but even the body shots on running shots killed them pretty quick.

Comment

Grab a 12 gauge w/ some buckshot and get out there. Just in case. In for ldp's.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                              I love .22's. And .22 magnums. Unless you get a head shot, they are too slow to kill yotes and bobcats. Not judging as you use what you have on hand. Replied to relate a story of a yote, a .22mag, and a .22lr. My DA brother (now ex) in law were walking out of the woods after doing a varmint set, we we got to the edge of the woods there was a large yote sunning about 20yds out, We had good cover so I whispered to him to shoot it as he had the .22mag. He shoots it, and for some reason he hits it in the back foot. The yote starts spinning in circles biting at its foot. I had a nylon 66, so I start shooting the coyote in the chest, and she keeps spinning and biting her hind foot, until after the 7th shot in the chest, she finally lays down dead. That idiot could only manage to hit a coyote in the hind foot at 20yds while trying to make a head shot.
                              .22's will kill yotes and bobcats, just not quick enough to suit me. I did kill a bobcat at close range by shooting him in the chest as he was sitting looking right at me, but he jumped 6' in the air and hit the ground running in a circle and I couldn't catch him in the scope to shoot him again, kinda puckered for a few seconds there, he weighed 40 lbs. And that is the reason I didn't shoot once on a northwest tx varmint call in a wheat field one night when the spotlight revealed a mountain lion laying in a crouch about 75 yds off when all I had was a .22 mag.

If you hit the yote in the chest and had good blood, then he is dead. Maybe not quick, but his days getting the neighbors cats are over. I need one to spend a few nights in my neighborhood thinning out the feral cats we have.
                              It takes a pretty good marksman to shoot a coyote in the foot!

Comment

Working...
                              X