I need the best smoked turkey recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need the best smoked turkey recipe

Alright cookers lets here some the the absolute best smoked turkey recipes. I an pretty good with my turkey just looking for a great seasoning or injection recipe or tips and tricks to knock my Christmas diiner guests socks off.

I use a 10-12# bird
    brine for an hour or so...
    pat dry
    run your hand up under the skin all over the breast and down into the thighs to loosen the skin.
    rub the meat under the skin with spicy italian dressing and your favorite BBQ rub.
    Do the same on the outside.
    stuff the turkey with onion quarters, mandarin oranges cut in half, celery in 3" pieces, and garlic cloves.
    Use a bake in bag and add more veggies on the bottom and put the turkey in there.
    Place the bagged turkey in an aluminum pan for support.
    Cut 10 or 12 3" slits in the bag to allow SOME smoke in but not too much...the bag will keep the turkey super moist and allow some smoke in but keep it from turning black.
    As the turkey cooks you can rip the bag back more to end up with a rich golden smokey color/taste.
    cook at 225 degrees to 160-165. Takes around 5 hours but cook by temperature and not time.

Let rest 20 minutes before carving.

Comment

Thanks sounds great Cosmic!

Comment

I've always used a recipe similar to CC's - but this year I'm going to try flavor-brining for 24 hours before smoking. I'm breaking a cardinal rule of cooking - trying a recipe for the first time with 13 guests in the house - oh, well gotta love dangerously! They are all family so if its a disaster they will just have more to give me a hard time about

Comment

Here is what I did on the 24th and 25th for my 2nd try at Smoked Turkey. Thanks to several guys on here, it was a HUGE success.

Brine:
          1 can chicken broth
          3 cloves garlic
          1 cup salt
          1 cup brown sugar
          pepper to taste
          a few dashes of paprika
          water to cover the turkey

I brined the turkey for about 15 hours in the frig. I took the turkey out and let dry as much as possible. I stuffed the inside of the turkey with quartered lemon, apples, and celery stalks. I rubbed the outside down with olive oil and covered with rub. I used Adkins rub. I covered the turkey with cooking cloth and smoked in my electric smoker, set at 275 degrees, for 6 hours. I used Jack Daniels pellets in the smoker to create the smoke. It took about 1 hour longer to cook than I expected due to the temperature outside. My cooker never got to temperature.

Comment

UPDATE - It came out great. I brined for 24 hours in the following:
            1 gallon vegatable broth
            1 gallon water
            1 cup kosher salt
            3/4 cup brown sugar
            Thyme
            Sage
            Rosemary
            Black peppercorns
            Jamaican Allspice

When you take the bird out of the brine, wash it off and pat the skin dry. I then rubbed some olive oil on the skin and sprinkled on a little seasoning for good measure. I usually like to smoke turkeys no bigger than 12 lbs but this one was 15. I poured the smoke to it for about 7 hours at 225 degrees then wrapped it in foil and finished it in the oven (several hours more) at 250 till it got to 165 in the thigh/drumstick. Very juicy for a smoked bird - flavor was great.

Comment

I usually brine overnight. Make a rub out of whatever spices my wife has on hand. The key is in the actual smoking though. I'll flood the smoke chamber with water and/or apple juice and always put a cut onion in the body cavity. Smoke with pecan and cover the bird tight with foil once it is brown. Too much smoke is not good My birds always come out juicy.

Comment

Working...
              X