when to rattle and call bucks in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to rattle and call bucks in Texas

I hunt in Tyler and Polk counties near Livingston/Huntsville. The first rut has been the last two weeks of October and first week of November in my area for the last couple years. I start seeing the scrapes last half of October. I don't have much experience rattling or calling in bucks. when would be the best time to start rattling? i am thinking as soon as I see first scrapes appear. Anybody have much success with it in east Texas?

It was yesterday. You missed it till next year......................

Comment

Really?

Someone asks a serious question and that’s how you respond? Your not a teenager!

Comment

Actually you can get some action anytime the bucks are hard horned. Especially does as girls always like to see a fight. My best luck is pre rut. Once they start rutting they are chasing and not wanting to fight. So based on your timing early Oct.

Comment

So when scrapes start appearing it’s pre rut? Should be right time to rattle and call.

Comment

i always found the week of dec 20-30th to be very productive in south texas, having rattled up to 5 deer per set.

up north you will find times around late thksgiving that will be more in line with the heavier rut. I found the prerut to pull in more younger bucks and then as the rut progresses thru the season the old brutes will show- Usually by then the younger ones have gotten the pizz beat out of them and will pucker at the sound of horns

Comment

Only time I ever had luck rattling in east texas was once when a buck was chasing two does by me. When they went out of site, I hit the horns and he came running back and two more bucks popped out of the woods.

Besides that, never had much luck, but I also haven't tried in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoghunter101 View Post
                So when scrapes start appearing it’s pre rut? Should be right time to rattle and call.
                Hi Hoghunter101:

I've tried rattling bucks a few times without any luck whatsoever. I can tell you that I used a phone app ("Hunt Like a Pro" Deer Call) to call in a very nice 9 point a few years ago for my son. The buck was in full rut - his neck was massive, and the call worked so well ("buck grunt") that he actually ran over a doe to charge out towards our blind to find the "other buck". Oddly, that afternoon on the same ranch (500 acres) I killed a young 8 point that was ready to mate, and he looked "normal" - i.e. not in rut.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Once they get hard antlered you can have success.

Comment

Rattling in East Texas is tough. I’ve rattled a bunch of young bucks in, around the end of Oct and first of Nov. But getting a mature buck in East Texas to respond is just hard. But I agree the rut is the end of Oct and first of Nov

Comment

You can start as soon as bow season starts. I hunt in Polk and Hardin Counties. The rut is in late October and first week of November usually. Bucks will typically be sizing each other up pre rut and doing some sparring. Like others have said, it's difficult in East Texas to rattle one in, but not impossible. They do come in to rattling. It doesn't mean you will ever see them. I watched one sneak around and get downwind of me once then disappeared. I've also had a 10 pointer jump completely over me when I was sitting in brush rattling antlers. He came in like a train looking for a fight. He left as fast as he came in when he didn't see the bucks he thought he heard. Best advice I can give is to not over do it. There are not massive buck fights out here like you see in South Texas. Keep the rattling to a minimum and keep your eyes open for one sneaking in. Also does will come to rattling as well. It's not just bucks.

Comment

I hunt Tyler County as well I had luck one year when I rattled in a buck around October the 15th. He was with a doe and they both came in downwind which is why I got busted. It's best to have a barrier/obstacle on the downwind side where they can't bust you.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                          Rattling in East Texas is tough. I’ve rattled a bunch of young bucks in, around the end of Oct and first of Nov. But getting a mature buck in East Texas to respond is just hard. But I agree the rut is the end of Oct and first of Nov
                          I agree with the first part about young bucks and it being tough. I disagree about it being hard to get mature buck to respond in east tx. They RESPOND by quietly circling down wind and busting you without most folks ever knowing they came.

The only time I rattle in east tx is if I can set up on the edge of something fool proof on the down wind side. Open pasture, large creek or river, highway. etc.

Generally, I think its far better to get in quiet and pretend you are not there. that said, I have had some luck spraying Tinks Buck Bomb where the deer will hit the scent as he circles down wind before he hits my scent.

Comment

In my experience during the pre-rut is a good time to rattle up younger bucks. Sure an older one might show up but generally it's the younger ones. Post-rut is when I would concentrate my efforts for a mature buck.

Rattling is very hit-or-miss. Timing plays a big role, as does weather. ALWAYS pay attention to the wind. One day you might get nothing, and the next day it might be crazy good. It's by FAR my favorite way to deer hunt.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X