Question for Ford 7.3L PSD Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simek View Post
    Ran out of fuel this morning on the way to work. Kind of strange, b/c fuel light never came on. Got the wife to bring me some fuel, fired up, drove to gas station and filled up. To my surprise, I filled up with 20-gallons, meaning I had 6-gallons in the tank when I "ran out."

Anybody had an issue similar to this? I've not hit up www.dieselstop.com, yet, but will do so this evening for some more research.
    My vote would be Fuel filter, I don't think you ran out of fuel at all. It's more likely your fuel supply was just cut off by collective material in your filter housing. When you were shut down it most likely settled from lack of suction allowing your truck to start. If this is so with out replacment and flush it will only be a matter of time before it happens again. Great Motors, great trucks. GOOD LUCK

Comment

My 2000 did the same thing. Ran out, low fuel light not on, showed 45 miles to empty, gauge showed little less than 1/4 tank. Put 3 gallons in it, fired up and I made it to town. Never happened again. I have no clue what the problem is or was????

Comment

Originally posted by cdwrrtx View Post
        I think this may be the fuel pickup in the tank. Read several things on the internet about some of the pieces getting cracked allowing air to get in the pickup at about 5-6 gals.

Mine does it, too.

C
        Mine did this, easy fix. It was a cracked fuel pickup like above.
        Run tank as low as you can
        Lower the tank enough to get the fuel assembly unbolted and out
        Replace fuel components
        Replace fuel assembly
        Replace tank
        Drive it like you stole it!

While you have the tank down/out you might as well harpoon it...
        Harpoon the Fuel Tank

Comment

Originally posted by mykidsdad View Post
          My 2000 did the same thing. Ran out, low fuel light not on, showed 45 miles to empty, gauge showed little less than 1/4 tank. Put 3 gallons in it, fired up and I made it to town. Never happened again. I have no clue what the problem is or was????
          99+ have an auxiliary pick up if the primary gets clogged; the auxiliary is at about the 1/4 tank level though. Pretty common symptom for a temporary occlusion...

Comment

I have a 99 F-250, did the same thing. The pickup tube had come off in the tank. I took the bed loose and slid it back to get access to the tank. Pulled the fuel gauge assembly/ fuel line out from the top and made a new pickup tube. Been a year now with no issues.

Comment

I would put a good bet in pick up tube in fuel tank I think the ultra low sulfur is eating them I see a bunch. Gets air at about 8th of tank.

Comment

Gracias gentlemen!

Comment

Originally posted by cdwrrtx View Post
                  I think this may be the fuel pickup in the tank. Read several things on the internet about some of the pieces getting cracked allowing air to get in the pickup at about 5-6 gals.

Mine does it, too.

C
                  My 02 doesn't do it yet, but my brother's 2000 does. Engine died at about 1/4 full. Put in about 4 gallons and it fired right up.
                  From what I've read on various PSD sites, it's a fairly common problem.

Comment

And the answer is . . . . .sending unit . . . .to the tune of . . . .you don't want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                      And the answer is . . . . .sending unit . . . .to the tune of . . . .you don't want to know.
                      I want to know. My daughters 99 does this. I have figured out what it was long ago but havnt priced the fix. What do the parts cost?

Comment

Working...
                      X