Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #51
paulvrana
Six Point

The TBOT shoots are the funnest shoots I have attended. However, I am still confused....are the rules written down somewhere? If so, where? I would like to read them.

The rest issue doesn't impact me because I shoot off the shelf but I think a big part of the frustration being raised in this thread is that people don't know where to go to read the rules. I think everyone appreciates the efforts the TBOT officers and directors put in...I know I do.

Listing the rules on the TBOT website would solve alot of problems.
paulvrana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #52
Thumper
Pope & Young

I'm going to hi-jack Bud's thread and ask for a list of suggestions to help TBoT better serve their members/you. Above suggestions are noted and recorded.

Perfect timing, the next EC meeting and elections are at the Hill Country Shoot. I think the meeting is Friday evening before the shoot. Lets make the best of these latest discussions and give the EC some helpful guidance. The goal is to make it work for everyone.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #53
paulvrana
Six Point

Sorry but I think I found the rules on the TBOT website which state:

"Traditional Archery" as defined by this organization, incorporates forms, tyles and preferences from the primitive archer use of natural materials to hose utilizing the latest of manmade products however, the resulting accoutrement must meet the following criteria:

1. No moving parts. When assembled, the working bow is to be one solid piece.

2. No sights. This includes marking on the bow or string.

3. Arrows are to be no less than 6 inches shorter than the draw length of the archer using the bow. (e.g., to allow Turkish, siper-type overdraws but disallow vertical crossbows.)

4. Release shall be accomplished with the digits of the drawing hand.
In the event a participant is unable to meet the guidelines as specified but it is felt the style meets the intent and purpose of this organization, they an submit appeal for acceptance to the Executive Council (EC). The EC shall than decide the issue."

I don't see anything about specifically about rests. If the TBOT membership really does desire to disallow any kind of elevated rest (not saying they do) , should you just add a number 5 which says "No elevated rest -- all arrows must be shot off the shelf"
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #54
jreyna920
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I think everyone here supports tbot and I really don't think anyone even has a problem with the rule. This issue doesn't change my setup but I can feel for those who are gonna be effected by it, and the only people this thread would even interest are those who attend, plan to attend and/or support Tbot and it's shoots. Issues like these are in every form of competition and this is nothing more the a meeting of supporting members or participants discussing the issue, it's untimely but progress

I do feel for the guys who have been practicing with a illegal rest who have plans for vanderpool but hope everyone makes it there

Good luck guys

John
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #55
Longstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvrana View Post
The TBOT shoots are the funnest shoots I have attended. However, I am still confused....are the rules written down somewhere? If so, where? I would like to read them.

The rest issue doesn't impact me because I shoot off the shelf but I think a big part of the frustration being raised in this thread is that people don't know where to go to read the rules. I think everyone appreciates the efforts the TBOT officers and directors put in...I know I do.

Listing the rules on the TBOT website would solve alot of problems.
A perfect example right here guys...him and Gene BOTH shoot off the shelf and are comsistently taking the top 2 places in just about every shoot
Just to prove theyre both a couple of well disciplined monkeys when it comes to pulling that string
Longstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #56
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Equipment Guidelines

"Traditional Archery" as defined by this organization, incorporates forms, styles and preferences from the primitive archer use of natural materials to those utilizing the latest of manmade products however, the resulting accoutrement must meet the following criteria:

1. No moving parts. When assembled, the working bow is to be one solid piece.

2. No sights. This includes marking on the bow or string.

3. Arrows are to be no less than 6 inches shorter than the draw length of the archer using the bow. (e.g., to allow Turkish, sniper-type overdraws but disallows vertical crossbows.)

4. Release shall be accomplished with the digits of the drawing hand.

In the event a participant is unable to meet the guidelines as specified but it is felt the style meets the intent and purpose of this organization, they an submit appeal for acceptance to the Executive Council (EC). The EC shall than decide the issue.
Classes
Seniors—Over 55
Primitive — Self Bow
Men's Recurve Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
Men's Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
Men's Longbow Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
Men's Longbow Wood — wood arrows only
Ladies Recurve Open — carbon or aluminum arrows
Ladies Recurve Wood — wood arrows only
Ladies Longbow Open - carbon or aluminum arrows
Ladies Longbow Wood - wood arrows only
Boy's Recurve (15-17) — any arrows
Boy's Longbow (15-17) — any arrows
Girls (15-17) — Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
Boy's Recurve (12-14) – any arrows
Boy's Longbow (12-14) – any arrows
Girls (12-14) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
Cubs (9-11) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows
Mini Cubs (8 and under) – Recurve or Longbow, any arrows

Having returned to traditional archery in an attempt to simplify my archery by removing all the gadgetry from my bow, I would just as soon see the rules changed to disallow all mechanical rests (if it has moving parts, it is mechanical) from competition.

But I also realize that such a rule is impractical for Traditional BOWHUNTERS of Texas, an organization first and foremost about hunting and the promotion of hunting with stick and string.

Probably the easiest solution is to add another class to each age/sex recurve bracket for mechanical rests. After all it is already recognized that carbon and aluminum arrows are superior in competition to wooden shafts so why not recognize that mechanical rests are superior to shooting off the shelf.

Or perhaps simply do away with the concept of tournament and make the shoots about fun, camaraderie and have events based on shooting skill, not equipment.
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #57
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A tall tree

Just shoot off the shelf with your fingers. Have atleast three people in your group at all times, never shoot with the same group every round. Never keep score yourself, let someone else do it if possible. Three people in a group should never be yourself, your buddy and his non shooting spouse who is keeping score for you. Do these things and there will never be a question as to what you or how you shot the tournament.
rubydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #58
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
Just shoot off the shelf with your fingers. Have atleast three people in your group at all times, never shoot with the same group every round. Never keep score yourself, let someone else do it if possible. Three people in a group should never be yourself, your buddy and his non shooting spouse who is keeping score for you. Do these things and there will never be a question as to what you or how you shot the tournament.
Hard to do with California starts..

I like blind draw groupings, double scoring and shotgun starts myself..
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #59
rubydog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Hard to do with California starts..

I like blind draw groupings, double scoring and shotgun starts myself..
I have never had a problem making it work. I also like blind grouping and shotgun starts. I love the TSLB system of grouping. I always find it amusing the number of people that are "super shooters'' at all the local club shoots but never seem to place at the TSLB shoot. It is amazing how busting up a group can change ones score. Just saying...
Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #60
Deb
Pope & Young

Adding classes adds expense and puts an extra work load on already overworked people. It seems like the only way to satisfy everyone, tho. I strongly agree about changing the people you shoot with. If you shoot with the same people every time and you shoot high scores there will almost always be uncharitable talk. I know several people that this has happened to. Arvin and I usually only shoot 1 or 2 rounds together. If new classes are added expect shoot fees to increase. They will have to.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #61
Deb
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have never had a problem making it work. I also like blind grouping and shotgun starts. I love the TSLB system of grouping. I always find it amusing the number of people that are "super shooters'' at all the local club shoots but never seem to place at the TSLB shoot. It is amazing how busting up a group can change ones score. Just saying...
I like this system, too. The only thing I don't like about it is seperating the men and women.

Last edited by Deb; 03-19-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #62
rubydog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I like this system, too. The only thing I don't like about it is seperating the men and women.
Never really thought about it that way. I guess since my wife isn't a shooter I wouldn't have but the women always seem to be having a great time spreading the estrogen around in the woods.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #63
Deb
Pope & Young

Quote:
Never really thought about it that way. I guess since my wife isn't a shooter I wouldn't have but the women always seem to be having a great time spreading the estrogen around in the woods.
It's ok, but mixed groups are more fun.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #64
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's ok, but mixed groups are more fun.
Yes they are..
Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #65
ShaBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: A Tree

Been changing everyones bows to shooting off shelf last night and today.Mine,sons,dads,sister,BIL,and have a few buddies doing it also.I think shooting off shelf is the best and easiest rule for TBoT.Just wish I would have known earlier.Doing what I've got to do for the team(TBoT)and my wife says Im not very understanding!

Last edited by ShaBow; 03-19-2011 at 12:22 PM.
ShaBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #66
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

First of all, I would like to thank Bud for coming on and addressing this issue on this forum.

I agree that TBOT is a great organization that is comprised of great members and outstanding volunteers that serve the traditional community by volunteering their time.

I guess my thoughts on this issue are pretty simple TBOT shoots promote a friendly atmosphere, while still maintaining a very simple format for competition without adding complexity to the rules or the bow (stick n string) itself.

There are several organizations/clubs that permit the recurves/longbows with elevated rest, plungers, sights and so forth in the traditional equipment class. However, the rules and format set forth by TBOT is the basis of their shoots. It is this unexplainable atmosphere of friendly attitude and camaraderie that defines and sets apart TBOT from other 3D shoots, especially a shoot known as Vanderpool.

It would be heartbreaking to see this shoot lose its "family atmosphere" and deny the REST of the traditional bowhunters of Texas the opportunity to experience the ambiance of the Hill Country shoot.

Now as a newbie to traditional I have a question on this elevated rest issue, if there is no advantage to having a elevated rest other than to have the opportunity to shoot vanes, then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather

Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #67
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbuck24 View Post
First of all, I would like to thank Bud for coming on and addressing this issue on this forum.

I agree that TBOT is a great organization that is comprised of great members and outstanding volunteers that serve the traditional community by volunteering their time.

I guess my thoughts on this issue are pretty simple TBOT shoots promote a friendly atmosphere, while still maintaining a very simple format for competition without adding complexity to the rules or the bow (stick n string) itself.

There are several organizations/clubs that permit the recurves/longbows with elevated rest, plungers, sights and so forth in the traditional equipment class. However, the rules and format set forth by TBOT is the basis of their shoots. It is this unexplainable atmosphere of friendly attitude and camaraderie that defines and sets apart TBOT from other 3D shoots, especially a shoot known as Vanderpool.

It would be heartbreaking to see this shoot lose its "family atmosphere" and deny the REST of the traditional bowhunters of Texas the opportunity to experience the ambiance of the Hill Country shoot.

Now as a newbie to traditional I have a question on this elevated rest issue, if there is no advantage to having a elevated rest other than to have the opportunity to shoot vanes, then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather
The flippers and especially the springys with buttons are much easier to tune and more forgiving than shooting off the shelf.. that's why they were invented..
Old 03-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #68
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Quote:
The flippers and especially the springys with buttons are much easier to tune and more forgiving than shooting off the shelf.. that's why they were invented..
Thanks for the insight Javi. I have so much to learn.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #69
Van/TX
Six Point

Hunt In: LA/AR/TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodat1957 View Post
I hope to have more information Monday or Tuesday. Then I will post what I have learned
Thanks Bud!...Van
Van/TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #70
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbuck24 View Post
then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather
The sudden push is to stop letting people use them. For the last couple of years they have been allowed. 2 years ago it was voted on and made a rule, just not enforced till or mentioned till last week.I just set up a bow exactly like what I had seen last year at Hill Country.

I read the rules and interpreted them as rest were not mentioned. Another read the rules and interpreted that rest were included. I posed a question , got an answer, got an additional different answer and it snowballed.

I can and will setup my bow to shoot off the shelf and have absolutely no problem with it. It was all an interpretation issue on a very vague rule. The rule is crystal clear now and should be a non issue from now on.

Last edited by huntinpool; 03-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #71
TradAg02
Ten Point

Chris, since you asked here are my suggestions:
I personally would prefer to have the larger traditional shoots function similar to the large jamborees in the northeast. They are more of gatherings surrounded around a 3D shoot. You pay your money to shoot the course, lest we forget that most of our money goes to replacing targets not purchasing awards. No classes, everyone brings the bow they enjoy. I have never cared much for wasting half a day sitting in the sun waiting for all of the scores to be turned in so I can get a belt buckle that I am going to throw in a drawer anyhow.

If you are going to have a tournament format, list the rules for each class on the entry form, this means that everyone receives and signs the same set of rules. Make sure that the stake color and corresponding classes are listing in the registration area and at the first target on each course.

While you are adding rules, you may want to address:

Clickers, stabilizers, binoculars, shooting a second arrow at the same target, discussing yardage during the tournament, face walking and string walking, and how mulligans are to be handled.
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #72
TradAg02
Ten Point

Bud,

Following is a picture of the rest on my recurve. It is a hoyt stick on rest that I have covered in moleskin. I know that Josh (4feathers) shoot s the same setup, as I am sure others do. I bring this up so that it may assist you in clarifying the rules.

I have always shot tournaments with my hunting setup. When it is time to hunt I just unscrew my field tips and screw in my broadheads. With this bow I never had an issue getting field tips to fly, however I had trouble with my broadheads. I put the rest on and now both my fieldtips and broadheads fly great. So in my case the “elevated/mechanical” rest made me a more efficient hunter.

Yall need to make the rules that are in the best interest of the club as a whole, not based on the squeaky wheels. If yall decide that off the shelf is the way to go, then so be it. As with Sha I just request that whatever is decided is clear and is either enforced across the board, or not at all.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #73
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinpool View Post
The sudden push is to stop letting people use them. For the last couple of years they have been allowed. 2 years ago it was voted on and made a rule, just not enforced till or mentioned till last week.I just set up a bow exactly like what I had seen last year at Hill Country
Got it.

Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #74
TradAg02
Ten Point

Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #75
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County

Quote:
Adding classes adds expense and puts an extra work load on already overworked people. It seems like the only way to satisfy everyone, tho. I strongly agree about changing the people you shoot with. If you shoot with the same people every time and you shoot high scores there will almost always be uncharitable talk. I know several people that this has happened to. Arvin and I usually only shoot 1 or 2 rounds together. If new classes are added expect shoot fees to increase. They will have to.
Deb

It will put more work but could well be worth it in the end. There is no doubt a new direction that the bows are headed in with carbon inserts, arrow rests, sites, and adjustable limbs and tillers. There will always be the "bare bows", which is where I will remain but there is a whole other genre of Olympic/JOAD/NFAA/and TFAA shooters that could help with the membership issue with TBoT.

I have attended a NFAA shoot and was floored when a shooter in our group told me this was a recurve...

http://www.barnsdalearchery.com/CUSTOMWORK.html

If TBoT is hurting for membership, there is a whole other genre of shooters that TBoT could recruit to help their membership grow and to embrace the new generation of recurve shooters. The time is now for TBoT to create a modern class and let them shoot and rig out their bows to their hearts content. They will compete against one another and the rest will shoot where we have always shot...bare bow. TBoT will benefit, the increase in membership will increase, and the shoots will only get larger and greater. Keep the bare bow class though...that's where I belong

I look forward to participating in this discussion at vanderpool. This is just my opinion but we need to think outside the box on this and grow as the technology grows...It's a win, win...
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #76
fletcherfor2
Ten Point

Bud Murphy sporting his new custom T-shirt at the Denton County Turkey Shoot today.

Name:  s new T-shirt (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  268.4 KB
fletcherfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #77
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtechlady View Post
Deb

It will put more work but could well be worth it in the end. There is no doubt a new direction that the bows are headed in with carbon inserts, arrow rests, sites, and adjustable limbs and tillers. There will always be the "bare bows", which is where I will remain but there is a whole other genre of Olympic/JOAD/NFAA/and TFAA shooters that could help with the membership issue with TBoT.

I have attended a NFAA shoot and was floored when a shooter in our group told me this was a recurve...

If TBoT is hurting for membership, there is a whole other genre of shooters that TBoT could recruit to help their membership grow and to embrace the new generation of recurve shooters. The time is now for TBoT to create a modern class and let them shoot and rig out their bows to their hearts content. They will compete against one another and the rest will shoot where we have always shot...bare bow. TBoT will benefit, the increase in membership will increase, and the shoots will only get larger and greater. Keep the bare bow class though...that's where I belong

I look forward to participating in this discussion at vanderpool. This is just my opinion but we need to think outside the box on this and grow as the technology grows...It's a win, win...
That one needs a really big smilie face... these ain't enough...
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #78
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
Bud Murphy sporting his new custom T-shirt at the Denton County Turkey Shoot today.

Attachment 227544
Hey I like that, where did he get it???
Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #79
paulvrana
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradAg02 View Post
Bud,

Following is a picture of the rest on my recurve. It is a hoyt stick on rest that I have covered in moleskin. I know that Josh (4feathers) shoot s the same setup, as I am sure others do. I bring this up so that it may assist you in clarifying the rules.

I have always shot tournaments with my hunting setup. When it is time to hunt I just unscrew my field tips and screw in my broadheads. With this bow I never had an issue getting field tips to fly, however I had trouble with my broadheads. I put the rest on and now both my fieldtips and broadheads fly great. So in my case the “elevated/mechanical” rest made me a more efficient hunter.

Yall need to make the rules that are in the best interest of the club as a whole, not based on the squeaky wheels. If yall decide that off the shelf is the way to go, then so be it. As with Sha I just request that whatever is decided is clear and is either enforced across the board, or not at all.
Chris -- Are you still shooting the same Sweptwing?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #80
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

Quote:
Recurve LIMB designFar from a Recurve bow

Dusty, that's funny right there!
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #81
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

Quote:
Deb

when i clicked on the link it showed a compound.
as for some of the new things in trad gear.
go back and look at some of the Olympic shooters in the 70's and up to today...weighted risers, stabilizers, wrist straps. sites, glass arrows, not new as a matter or fact, i was shooting glass arrows in the 60's.. and still have some.
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #82
ShaBow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradAg02 View Post
Bud,

Chris, I ripped off 5 of these same set ups today!

Last edited by ShaBow; 03-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO View Post
go back and look at some of the Olympic shooters in the 70's and up to today...weighted risers, stabilizers, wrist straps. sites, glass arrows, not new as a matter or fact, i was shooting glass arrows in the 60's.. and still have some.
Jeffro

I actually insulted the shooter by accident when I asked him what kind of compound that was He quickly corrected me and told me that it was a recurve Under the rules of NFAA and apparently TFAA, it is a recurve.

I don't agree with it but I don't make the rules either. Yes, the olympic shooters have been around a while but now there is a younger generation wanting to push the limits not to mention all the collegiate shooters as well.

They have really big turn outs at the NFAA and TFAA. It's a group of archery shooters with their recurves and I just think in this day if you are going to change the rules for the arrow rest then go ahead and create a modern or a "non bare bow" class, embrace it, and move forward or otherwise keep the rules as they are, enforce them, and we will all be one happy family
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #84
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Jeffro

I actually insulted the shooter by accident when I asked him what kind of compound that was He quickly corrected me and told me that it was a recurve Under the rules of NFAA and apparently TFAA, it is a recurve.

I don't agree with it but I don't make the rules either. Yes, the olympic shooters have been around a while but now there is a younger generation wanting to push the limits not to mention all the collegiate shooters as well.

They have really big turn outs at the NFAA and TFAA. It's a group of archery shooters with their recurves and I just think in this day if you are going to change the rules for the arrow rest then go ahead and create a modern or a "non bare bow" class, embrace it, and move forward or otherwise keep the rules as they are, enforce them, and we will all be one happy family
If it has wheels it is a compound in NFAA and TFAA which is just the Texas NFAA chapter... Been shooting in it for a bunch of years... That Martin/Barney is a compound, the shooter was pulling your leg.. Now if he/she had no sight, and was shooting fingers it would be a Barebow.. by NFAA/TFAA rules.. but Barebow and recurve or traditional are three different equipment classes; here is a link to the equipment/Style rules for NFAA/TFAA http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm

Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 03-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #85
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tried the glass arrows, but I never liked them one bit..
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #86
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
If it has wheels it is a compound in NFAA and TFAA which is just the Texas NFAA chapter... Been shooting in it for a bunch of years... That Martin/Barney is a compound, the shooter was pulling your leg.. Now if he/she had no sight, and was shooting fingers it would be a Barebow.. by NFAA/TFAA rules.. but Barebow and recurve or traditional are three different equipment classes; here is a link to the equipment/Style rules for NFAA/TFAA http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm
Yes, he was shooting without a site, fingers, and was string walking, which is also allowed according to him.

It blew me away and from what I hear on the price of those things, whew, I can have 4 Sarrels for one of those
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #87
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, he was shooting without a site, fingers, and was string walking, which is also allowed according to him.

It blew me away and from what I hear on the price of those things, whew, I can have 4 Sarrels for one of those
Yep, string walking is allowed in Barebow... his name wasn't Monty Heishman, was it. Little short, older fellow from back east that retired to West, Texas...

Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 03-19-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #88
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

Quote:
Jeffro

I totally agree, and my vote is for the latter. my fealing are i would not fit in at the nfaa or the other field shoot's i know thay have the class. use'a shoot field, ah before 3d targets came out,,,,, as the old indian say's. many moons ago....
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #89
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
I totally agree, and my vote is for the latter. my fealing are i would not fit in at the nfaa or the other field shoot's i know thay have the class. use'a shoot field, ah before 3d targets came out,,,,, as the old indian say's. many moons ago....
Just don't spit 'backy in the water jug...

I still like field and shoot it a bit, 'course I live 5 minutes from the oldest continously operating field course in Texas..
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #90
Skunklady
Eight Point

Talking

Not at all happy about changing my set up right here 3 weeks before Hill Country...REALLY frustrating!!!
Skunklady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #91
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunklady View Post
Not at all happy about changing my set up right here 3 weeks before Hill Country...REALLY frustrating!!!
Welcome to the green screen skunklady and sorry to here about your fustration but at least you still have three weeks to prepare.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #92
paulvrana
Six Point

For all of those saying to "keep the rules the way they are" ....can you please point me to the rule that says no rests?

Not trying to cause trouble..I just want to understand where you are coming from. What is the rule, where is it written, who established the rule and if it was implemented 2 years ago, why have there been so may shooters using rests at the Hill Country Shootout.

Please help me understand your position.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #93
ShaBow
Ten Point

Quote:
For all of those saying to "keep the rules the way they are" ....can you please point me to the rule that says no rests?

Not trying to cause trouble..I just want to understand where you are coming from. What is the rule, where is it written, who established the rule and if it was implemented 2 years ago, why have there been so may shooters using rests at the Hill Country Shootout.

Please help me understand your position.
This is why we are where we are!The no moving parts in the rules was supposed to take care of the rest issue(I guess)but the problem is the stick on rest have no moving parts and were legal until the rule change that wasn't changed two years ago.I have a feeling a more detailed set of rules are in the making.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #94
Rogue_Huntress
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Canada, Texas

Wing Recurve, made in Texas.
Rogue_Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #95
paulvrana
Six Point

Shabow -- I agree that the current rules do not prohibit stick on rests.

Also, the way I read the TBOT constitution and bylaws, the rules (which are a part of the constitution -- see Part 3 of the constitution on the website) cannot be changed without a 2/3 vote of the TBOT members per the following rule:

Article X
Changes to the Constitution / Bylaws
The Constitution may not be changed, modified and/or amended unless approved by a two-thirds popular vote from the membership of TBoT.

When did this vote occur?

MY POINT IS THAT IF THE RULES ARE GOING TO BE CHANGED, THE TBOT CONSTITUTION REQUIRES A 2/3 VOTE OF THE MEMBERS.

Last edited by paulvrana; 03-19-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #96
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shabow -- I agree that the current rules do not prohibit stick on rests.

Also, the way I read the TBOT constitution and bylaws, the rules (which are a part of the constitution -- see Part 3 of the constitution on the website) cannot be changed without a 2/3 vote of the TBOT members per the following rule:

Article X
Changes to the Constitution / Bylaws
The Constitution may not be changed, modified and/or amended unless approved by a two-thirds popular vote from the membership of TBoT.

When did this vote occur?
I am not sure how this works but I would think 3D rules might not fall under said voting requirements.

However, someone did say that it was voted on two years ago.

How many TBOT members will actually be affected by said change in regards to arrow rest vs non-arrow rest?

I feel for Bud and the entire TBOT EC because this issue has certainly already changed the beloved Hill Country shoot.

Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-19-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #97
paulvrana
Six Point

The rules at issue are part of the constitution (see part 3 of the constitution on the website).

The constitution cant be changed without a 2/3 vote of the TBOT members (i.e. not the executive committee) -- the first post in this thread said the executive committee changed the rule.

THE RULES SHOULD BE CLARIFIED. IF YOU WANT TO COMPLY WITH THE TBOT CONSTITUTION THE NEW RULES SHOULD BE CIRCULATED TO THE TBOT MEMBERSHIP FOR VOTE.

Last edited by paulvrana; 03-19-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #98
r2h
Spike

Hunt In: Ark

ShaBow: "the problem is the stick on rest have no moving parts"
This seems to be the thinking of others also, which rest would this be? I don't recall any stick on rest that doesn't move?

Last edited by r2h; 03-20-2011 at 09:53 AM.
r2h is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #99
r2h
Spike

Hunt In: Ark

I shoot a bow with ILF limbs, they are somewhat adjustable for weight and tiller. Not a solid piece and has movable parts. According to the rules it is not legal. No problem.

Last edited by r2h; 03-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
r2h is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #100
Deb
Pope & Young

I have a headache.