Advice or opinions needed ‘51 Marlin 30-30 lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice or opinions needed ‘51 Marlin 30-30 lever

I bought a 1951 Marlin 30-30 from a TBher earlier in the year. Just now getting around to cleaning it up. My original plan was to break it down and have it cerkoted(?), replace the wood with synthetic furniture and turn into a hog gun. After finding how old the gun is i’m not sure what I want to do now. Wondering if I restored to original if it would be worth more. Inside of the barrel looks decent from what I can see running a light down it. The metal everywhere else has rust with some pitting in areas. The action does open and close easily.

Need some advice on which way to go with it now.

Thanks
    Chris

I'd keep it original. JMO

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt because I am not a gunsmith nor am I a collector, just basing this off past experiences. Restored guns can sometimes bring less than leaving it original. Things like rounded lettering on the barrel or chamber can reveal it was re-blued, not perfect corners on the stock or checkering (if it has any) can let a buyer know it was sanded and refinished. Collectors like original guns and only to a collector will that be worth much really.

Comment

I would absolutely keep it original. If you want to use it as a hog gun, just put some scope mounts on top and throw a good scope on it. But original is always worth more when it comes to older guns.

Comment

Up to you, if you think you will ever sell it then keep original. If you want to use it as a beater hog gun go for your modifications.

I would keep it original.

Comment

Another vote for original

Comment

Normally I would say keep it original. But you say the metal is rusted and pitted. Depending on how badly pitted the metal is, any collector value may already be gone. It may be better to do the ceraote and keep a fine old rifle in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                Normally I would say keep it original. But you say the metal is rusted and pitted. Depending on how badly pitted the metal is, any collector value may already be gone. It may be better to do the ceraote and keep a fine old rifle in use.
                Yep.

I'd make sure all internals are sound and use the heck out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Yep.

I'd make sure all internals are sound and use the heck out of it.
                  Yup.

Comment

Keep it original

Comment

Cerakote it pink with sparkles and kill everything.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                        Cerakote it pink with sparkles and kill everything.
                        Not going to happen!! LOL

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I will clean it up some and go from there.

Comment

If you don't plan on selling it, make it how you want.

Comment

Restoring does NOT mean the value will go down. A bad restore job WILL make the value go down. This is all in terms of monetary value. However, if you think you'll get more useful value from it as a cerakoted hog gun then coat it. Either way I would have a hard time leaving a gun looking like you don't care about it and in rough shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X