I’ve got the Thompson Center Pro Hunter ML

And yes

The cleanliness of the barrel effects every shot

Some use solvent
    Some use hot water

Buy an industrial size bag of cleaning patches

Strangely what worked for me to tighten up groups

Was windex glass cleaner. This stuff is the bomb

Getting your scope dialed in will require cleaning or at least running a patch through the barrel on every shot

I like the Thompson center sabots

I used blackthorn 209

But went back to pellets

It’s just simple to use

In a stressful shooting situation

Simple is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Traditional or Bust"- Tactical Cowboy
      I AGREE
      Patched roundball, 75 grains Black Powder And a CVA Sidelock
      Attached Files

Comment

If you are planning an out of state hunting trip using a muzzle loader

Check their regulations

In some states traditional is traditional

No scopes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard31 View Post
          Blackhorn 209 powder for sure. You can make 4-5 shots without having to clean the bore. Most other powders you only get 1 or 2. It is loose powder, rather than pellets, but I still prefer it. I think you get a little more velocity from it too for an equal weight of powder.

Also, get the Barnes sabot bullets. Outstanding accuracy and they mushroom perfectly every time. Avoid the Powerbelts.
          This is great advice. Blackthorn 209 and Barnes sabots is all you need. The Blackhorn is loose powder and will allow you to tune for what your rifle likes. It makes clean up easy and you will get better velocity with it. Used it and Barnes sabot to kill a buffalo clean past thru both lungs and out the opposite shoulder.

Comment

With Blackburn 209 what grain powder should I start with?

Comment

Traditional is far more satisfying, I went through the in line faze and they are more accurate ( over all) easier to clean. But they don't give you the feeling you get shooting something with a " black powder rifle". I don't feel a scope should even come into play when talking black powder hunting. Had some great hunts with my dad and brother ( before my dad passed). I have an inline 54 cal knight rifle I may part with, and a cva percussion 58 cal ( round ball) with elk drawings on ( I drew years ago) I may also part with if any ones intrested.
              Last edited by critter69; 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimGates View Post
                With Blackburn 209 what grain powder should I start with?
                It will give you a list of powder charges up to max. I use 100 grains with my 250 Barnes. Remember though, powder charges for black powder are by volume, not by weight, like rifle ammo and Smokeless powder.

Comment

They make what looks like test tubes with graduated marks on them for the 209 powder. Can get online or Cabelas. I shoot 110 in mine with the Barnes. Just what it liked. Those tubes make great speed loaders, already pre measured and just pop the top poor seat bullet. Just as easy as pellets. Be sure to use true 209 shotgun shell primers and not just the 209 black powder primers. The shotgun primers are hotter give better ignition. Go to blackthorns web site they have plenty of info there. Blackhorn only works in modern rifles not trad guns.

Comment

Working...
                  X