Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
    Wow, that's crazy. I went on a hunt at Enchanted Rock and it was great, the staff was awsome.
    Ungawa, I've been on a bunch of Public Hunts over the years and every one was outstanding. This was the only hunt where the staff seemed a little more interested in park revenues and less about hunter satisfaction. Almost got the feeling we were an "inconvenience". I've been on 3 youth hunts this year with my boys and they were great. Great staff, had 2 of the hunts where they even cooked lunch for the kids.

Comment

when are apps taken for these state park bow hunts? on;ine or by mail?

Comment

Originally posted by dave kaden View Post
        when are apps taken for these state park bow hunts? on;ine or by mail?
        These are part of the TP&W draw hunts that start in the summer. Everything is online.

You can go online and see all of the hunts that were available and the stats. It's under the Public Hunting area on their website

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
          My son won the youth axis hunt a couple of years ago and was Super excited. I have nothing but great things to say about the TPWD public hunt program when people ask and I frequently email TPWD after hunts to let them know what a great program they have. I have been on over 15 youth/adult public hunts in the last 14 years and have enjoyed them immensely, met some great people and been treated to a great experience by TPWD staff. I truly appreciate the time and sacrifice the park staff endures and I love the opportunity to hunt different parts of the staff and IF LUCKY, manage to harvest something.

BUT if I was ranking all the hunts, the Garner hunt would be at the very bottom. Pretty sad because this is an awesome opportunity for some people to harvest their first (and only) exotic. Just a quick summary. The orientation started with the Park Superintendent telling us how HIS park is the highest revenue-grossing park in the state and that they LOSE a lot of money holding these public hunts. Next he spent some time talking about having to use funds to purchase new pop up stands and shooting platforms. Then he mentioned how his "volunteers" are limited to the number of hours they can work and that this hunt cut into projects they could be helping on. Also we were originally told since it was a weekend hunt only, we would be able to hunt Saturday afternoon and ALL day Sunday. Unfortunately during orientation we were told they were ending the hunt on Sunday at noon so they could be ready for visitors first thing Monday morning.

Then the hunt began and we were loaded in a truck and driven to our stands. We actually drew a very desirable stand near the entrance road where I had seen a lot of axis in the past. Well, we are walked to our blind and shown 2 trees directly in front of the stand with flagging tape on them. Told we could ONLY shoot between those 2 trees. I understood the reasoning but they basically gave us about a 35 degree window to shoot through. Of course, my son and I saw about a dozen different axis (some within 40 yds) but naturally, none went through our shooting window even though we threw out corn and chaffee (sp?) hay. I believe only 1 axis was harvested that hunt.

Don't mean to put a "downer" on your upcoming hunt. The park is loaded with axis and you may be successful. It is a beautiful park and I got to spend a weekend with my teenage son (which is huge) but the experience was much different than what I usually experience on TPWD hunts. It's funny because last year I hunted at Inks Lake and the Superintendent asked me if I had hunted anywhere else and I mentioned Garner. He made a funny face, mentioned the Park Supers name and wondered how my "experience" was there. I guess word gets around

Best of luck and hopefully your experience is better.
          Thanks for the write up I appreciate your time

Comment

My son got drawn the first weekend in January on a youth hunt. I will give you a report when we get back if you want?

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
              My son won the youth axis hunt a couple of years ago and was Super excited. I have nothing but great things to say about the TPWD public hunt program when people ask and I frequently email TPWD after hunts to let them know what a great program they have. I have been on over 15 youth/adult public hunts in the last 14 years and have enjoyed them immensely, met some great people and been treated to a great experience by TPWD staff. I truly appreciate the time and sacrifice the park staff endures and I love the opportunity to hunt different parts of the staff and IF LUCKY, manage to harvest something.

BUT if I was ranking all the hunts, the Garner hunt would be at the very bottom. Pretty sad because this is an awesome opportunity for some people to harvest their first (and only) exotic. Just a quick summary. The orientation started with the Park Superintendent telling us how HIS park is the highest revenue-grossing park in the state and that they LOSE a lot of money holding these public hunts. Next he spent some time talking about having to use funds to purchase new pop up stands and shooting platforms. Then he mentioned how his "volunteers" are limited to the number of hours they can work and that this hunt cut into projects they could be helping on. Also we were originally told since it was a weekend hunt only, we would be able to hunt Saturday afternoon and ALL day Sunday. Unfortunately during orientation we were told they were ending the hunt on Sunday at noon so they could be ready for visitors first thing Monday morning.

Then the hunt began and we were loaded in a truck and driven to our stands. We actually drew a very desirable stand near the entrance road where I had seen a lot of axis in the past. Well, we are walked to our blind and shown 2 trees directly in front of the stand with flagging tape on them. Told we could ONLY shoot between those 2 trees. I understood the reasoning but they basically gave us about a 35 degree window to shoot through. Of course, my son and I saw about a dozen different axis (some within 40 yds) but naturally, none went through our shooting window even though we threw out corn and chaffee (sp?) hay. I believe only 1 axis was harvested that hunt.

Don't mean to put a "downer" on your upcoming hunt. The park is loaded with axis and you may be successful. It is a beautiful park and I got to spend a weekend with my teenage son (which is huge) but the experience was much different than what I usually experience on TPWD hunts. It's funny because last year I hunted at Inks Lake and the Superintendent asked me if I had hunted anywhere else and I mentioned Garner. He made a funny face, mentioned the Park Supers name and wondered how my "experience" was there. I guess word gets around

Best of luck and hopefully your experience is better.
              There has got to be a way to call that in. I wouldn't let that **** poor treatment slide, it is their job to ensure all visitors to the park enjoy their stay.

Comment

Originally posted by daved270 View Post
                My son got drawn the first weekend in January on a youth hunt. I will give you a report when we get back if you want?
                yea absolutely any advise or tips you learn along the way just curious what to expect from the whole ordeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                  There has got to be a way to call that in. I wouldn't let that **** poor treatment slide, it is their job to ensure all visitors to the park enjoy their stay.
                  I certainly agree that if there are major issues I would voice my concern to TPWD because at the end of the day tax money and the purchase of license and such funds this and everyone should get to enjoy it. I will attend the hunt and write up a report on how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    First off, I don't want you to think we had a TERRIBLE experience. It was just much different than we experienced on other TPWD hunts. Axis are plentiful and they try to group the stands in the areas where they hang out. In doing so, they limit your shooting areas/options. Also had a great weekend in the stand with my teenager. I understand it is their park and their rules so I am thankful for the opportunity.

I did send an email to the TPWD Public Hunt program after this hunt. Was very PC but did mention the fact that it seemed like the Superintendent was NOT real excited about holding the hunts at his park. A little disheartening especially for the kids to hear. Maybe things have changed a little in the last 2 years.

I think this overall program is awesome and generally share that opinion with TPWD after each hunt we've been drawn for. My FIL lives in Illinois around Chicago and the County pays a sharpshooter ($100K) to cull deer from the county preserve lands. The local bowhunting groups are frustrated but the county won't budge because of perceived liability and "cruelty" issues. Glad I live in Texas where they let ethical hunters do the management for them. I truly hope they continue to keep this as a successful and affordable option for Texas hunters. I am on a deer lease but love "playing the lottery" every year to see if myself or kids can get drawn to hunt different parts of the state.

Muzzy, hope you knock em down on this hunt!!!! That park is covered up in them.

Comment

Thanks ill let y'all know how it goes

Comment

As always good information.

Comment

Originally posted by daved270 View Post
                          Good luck this weekend! Looking forward to your report.

Comment

Any one for the week of Jan 14-16

We will be there. My daughter and myself. Will let ya'll know how it goes after that hunt. It is the last hunt I believe of the season. Leave a few for us.

Comment

Lucky dogs. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Well me and my son got back from hunting Garner. We had a great time! We stayed in the park in a screened in shelter. It had a picnic table and fire ring at every campsite. (bring firewood if you want a fire) They have a bathroom and shower facility in between all the campsites. It is different from any of the hunts we have been on. The park staff do load you up in trucks and take you to your assigned blind ( which are popup blinds so bring some shooting sticks and a different chair if you want). They have put out corn feeders at every blind this year which is the first time for this. Bring some alfalfa hay to keep the Axis around a little longer because they clean out the feeders quick. This was a Whitetail and Axis hunt but really wanted you just to shoot the Axis because the Whitetail numbers are low.( I'm guessing do to the Axis running them out). We only saw four Whitetail the whole time we were there. My son ended up taking 5 axis on the hunt 4 doe and 1 spike. That being said he could have shot many more if we had freezer space! All in all it was a successful hunt with a lot of memories that me and my son will never forget! If anyone has any questions just ask me and i will try and answer them.

Comment

Working...
                                X