Firefighters... CPAT and FireTeam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefighters... CPAT and FireTeam

Has anyone ever taken these tests? I am not to worried about the CPAT, I am still in relatively good shape, just seem to be sore more often after workouts lol. I take my FireTeam test on Friday and my CPAT next Thursday.

I was a volunteer FF before I left for the navy, I passed my TCFP test before I left but it is now lapsed. My wife in I are in the process of moving to Washington and FireTeam and CPAT are the widely accepted test up there. Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them and any advice. Thanks fellas (and ladies)

From what I remember the stair master at the first of the test is what kicked everyone’s butt. If your not conditioned to it, it’s really tough. The stairs don’t stop so you can’t slow your pace at all.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
      From what I remember the stair master at the first of the test is what kicked everyone’s butt. If your not conditioned to it, it’s really tough. The stairs don’t stop so you can’t slow your pace at all.
      That's what i've been reading. I read the thing that fails people on the stairs is not grabbing on to anything. I think its 3 minutes at a pace of 60 steps per minute

Comment

Just do your cardio and you’ll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
          That's what I've been doing. I've been running with a 35 pound pack on

Comment

If you are in relatively descent shape, you shouldn’t have a problem. You might train by wearing a pack and walking bleachers to get you ready.

Comment

Stair stepper at 90 steps per minute. Six minute interval non-stop. Cool down, do again for intervals as long as you can until you’ve hit a total of 20 mins. You’ll have a weighted vest on during the test, but if you can do 90 steps per minute for twice the amount of time, the real test will be no problem. Not sure if the heavy keiser sled is an event or not, but that’s honestly what took the most out of me. Most civil service tests have nothing to do with any firefighting. Gotta score well on the written at most bigger departments to even advance any further in the process.

Comment

Cardio for sure is important especially for the stair master. I also think will power and mental strength is a huge part. Once you step off that stair master I feel like people freak out and try to rush through everything and make mistakes. Be calm and push trough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s so easy a girl can do it. [emoji38]

Work your legs and core.
                  The stair stepper should become your best friend and arch nemesis. I used to practice with an out of service airpack from a local department. Best wishes, man.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                    It’s so easy a girl can do it. [emoji38]

Work your legs and core.
                    The stair stepper should become your best friend and arch nemesis. I used to practice with an out of service airpack from a local department. Best wishes, man.

Legs and Lungs!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      Yeah. Until you get on the stair stepper. Start your workout with a stair stepper. Then work on cardio, strength, ect. It has brought down many a man.

Comment

Update...

I took my FireTeam (written exam) this morning. I smoked it! I have my CPAT in choctaw next Thursday.. Thanks for all the advice

Comment

Why are you taking these? I’ve never seen a department that will take a prior passing of the test as a passing of theirs. Every dept I tested for, and know of, have you take their test with them. Maybe they accept it up in Washington?
                          Stair stepper is an ***whoop. Do it as often as you can. I’m sure there’s tricks on YouTube on how to do the Kaiser correctly. Incorrectly it’ll whoop you.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                            Update...

I took my FireTeam (written exam) this morning. I smoked it! I have my CPAT in choctaw next Thursday.. Thanks for all the advice

Awesome!!! Glad the written went well.

Comment

Congrats on the test man! Best job in the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X