Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathews DXT

Condensed Pre-Story.
    I have Shot a G5 Quest bow for the last 4 years and REALLY like it. During the last deer season I start hearing a "buzzing" in the top limb. Find out a bearing is going out in the idler. Can't get replacement. Disappointed and look for another bow.
    My brother had a DXT that he never shot and was collecting Dust. So I bought it off him. Been trying to like that bow since December.

I realize that the compound bow designs and technology keeps booming forward year to year, and that the DXT is a 09 Model, now making it 10 yrs old. My G5 was a 14 model, I believe, and was WAY better shooting (less than 1/3 cost brand new).
    Not trying to bash Mathews or stir any pots, but since I am not getting along with the little DXT as well, I may be in the market soon enough for another bow.
    I am not brand loyal, and only shoot the Mathews now because I had read lots of good reviews about the DXT and knew my brother was not shooting his. PLUS there is always the situation in, If something happens most folks have had good results with getting parts or replacements from Mathews.

Any suggestions on shooting the DXT or is there a bow out there for a more economical minded guy? I just can't get into the thought of buying a bow for 1,000.00 or more.
    I also realize this is a subjective matter and may get 100's of opinions, but that's what I am looking for.

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
    Condensed Pre-Story.
    I have Shot a G5 Quest bow for the last 4 years and REALLY like it. During the last deer season I start hearing a "buzzing" in the top limb. Find out a bearing is going out in the idler. Can't get replacement. Disappointed and look for another bow.
    My brother had a DXT that he never shot and was collecting Dust. So I bought it off him. Been trying to like that bow since December.

I realize that the compound bow designs and technology keeps booming forward year to year, and that the DXT is a 09 Model, now making it 10 yrs old. My G5 was a 14 model, I believe, and was WAY better shooting (less than 1/3 cost brand new).
    Not trying to bash Mathews or stir any pots, but since I am not getting along with the little DXT as well, I may be in the market soon enough for another bow.
    I am not brand loyal, and only shoot the Mathews now because I had read lots of good reviews about the DXT and knew my brother was not shooting his. PLUS there is always the situation in, If something happens most folks have had good results with getting parts or replacements from Mathews.

Any suggestions on shooting the DXT or is there a bow out there for a more economical minded guy? I just can't get into the thought of buying a bow for 1,000.00 or more.
    I also realize this is a subjective matter and may get 100's of opinions, but that's what I am looking for.
    I would think that an idler from another bow manufacturer could replace the one on your Quest. Alot are the same size.

Comment

Rocky, do you happen to know a REAL bow shop that could do this? I don't have a bow press or I would try it myself. The problem I have run into in the past is there are a lot of shops out there and most are only capable of putting on new strings or cables. Sometimes that can be an "iffy" situation.

Comment

Fort Grard in weatherford is a g5 dealer and he can fix it for sure one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DANG IT!
          I wished I had known about Fort Grard before I moved to Houston County, would have been closer where I was.
          Thanks for the information. I may be making a drive.

Comment

I love my DXT.

Comment

I love my DXT too, but haven't shot any of the newest bow for comparison.

Comment

Rocky has pressed a few bows in his time lol..Considering he is A Mathews dealer and shooter. I myself hate mathews,BUT the DXT is one sweet shooter. My wife loves her DXT. LOL

Comment

I did not know Rocky was a dealer, or worked on bows. So where is he located?
                  All I can know are my own experiences. That's why this network has been good for me. More folks with more knowledge.

Comment

My DXT is my bow of choice. I have other options, but I always grab it.

Comment

Lake Country Archery is his place out by Lake Fork

Comment

Thought I should give an update. Last weekend I took a few pigs out with the DXT, still wasn't real comfortable, SO I found West Houston Archery and had a 'Re-sizing". Turns out the 27.5" draw mod was really just enough of an overdraw to keep me from a solid anchor and cycle. To be honest I had thought if all Mathews bows felt this way, NO WAY would I ever look at another.
                        What I failed to really consider was that by shortening the draw it also slightly moves the draw curve, which ended up making a huge difference in the feel of the draw and in my consistency. Now that the bow actually fits me better, the draw feels good, and I'm back to shooting like I expect. Now if I can just get my follow through to follow form.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More updates for fun.
                          Still not super comfortable with this bow, but I have added some new features thanks to a great guy at Freedom Shooting Sports in Corsicana. Much appreciated the grip Robert. It is feeling better and consistency is coming around.

My first spotted hog for the year.. Sort of.. Mark another pig with this bow.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dry Bones; 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X