Granite Countertop Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite Countertop Installation

What should I expect to pay to have 2 slabs of granite (6 x 9) cut and installed in a kitchen? Farm sink with 3 hole faucet. No other cutouts except for the stove top.

It is quartzite so it's actually a little harder than granite and gonna be little harder on blades and bits.

What about a prefab piece for a small bathroom about 5 feet long with one sink and 3 hole faucet?

Thanks!

All depends on total square feet typically. With a farm sink and two slabs, I'd guess north of $3000 if you haven't already bought the slabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      All depends on total square feet typically. With a farm sink and two slabs, I'd guess north of $3000 if you haven't already bought the slabs.
      Installer said 2 slabs should cover the kitchen. I've got the 2 slabs. The slabs were a higher level and expensive at $1685 a slab so $3370 total. The installer is saying to cut and install is $3500. That's more than the slabs themselves. Is that right? Labor and installation is typically more expensive than the slabs themselves and higher level slabs at that?

Comment

Labor should be based off sq footage of countertop, not square footage of slabs. Then there will be adds for sink cutouts/additional edge polishing, special edge profiles, etc.

Need to know sq footage of counter space to determine how accurate or outlandish the labor number actually is.

Comment

I am checking on the total countertop space now but the installer is saying it will take almost every bit of the 2 slabs which are 66 sq foot slabs so 132 sq foot combined.

Comment

We recently bought 2 nine foot, pre-edged pieces for our kitchen ... $300.
            Install, which required 8 cuts and one sink cut-out ... $800.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
              We recently bought 2 nine foot, pre-edged pieces for our kitchen ... $300.
              Install, which required 8 cuts and one sink cut-out ... $800.
              That's good pricing! Can you share the contractor/supplier info?

Comment

One thing to take into consideration, and your situation is the perfect example, is how much responsibility is placed on fabricator. What I mean is, do you expect a fabricator to give you the same price to work on $1600 slabs as he would cutting $300 slabs. One screw up on an expensive slab and not only does he not make money, but he loses his arse.

Comment

Edge profile and undermount sinks can add a LOT to the total price....

Comment

Assuming your existing countertops are easy to remove I'm guessing fabrication & installation costs should be around $35 sq/ft. If a fabricator knows you didn't shop around they can try to stick it to you. I'm surprised you were able to buy the slabs yourself. I know of only a few wholesalers in Texas that allow that. One of them being where I work. Where did you buy them? You also asked if fabrication & installation could cost more than the material. In most cases it does cost more than the material.

Comment

FYI, you can buy direct from Italian Granite in Waco. They do waaaaaaaay better work than everything I saw from Stone Systems in Austin

Comment

Working...
                      X