No announcement yet.

Trad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had both on my bows for years. I like the looks of the puffs and I do think they are a tad bit quieter but if you ever are out in the rain with wet puffs and shoot you will remember it. Sounds like a big POOF! with water flying everywhere. Both devices have their places but if I only had one bow I would choose cat whiskers. JMHO I did try beaver once but did not like it. Like in just abut everything, personal preferences rule.

Comment

Buff put me on the Bow Hush. I figure a man with that many animals falling to his Widow recurves can teach me the ways of the Jedi.

Or more likely of the Wood Elves.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used all of them...beaver balls, mink (bought an old mink jacket for 2 bucks at a thrift shop....stripped it down into 1/2 strips for silencers, used a lot, gave even more of them away...they work well and look incredible), wool (bow hush and wife's knitting bag...lol), and cat whiskers....

Just for the simplicity of them, I use cat whiskers almost all the time now....

They are all traditional....use what you like.....

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Buff put me on the Bow Hush. I figure a man with that many animals falling to his Widow recurves can teach me the ways of the Jedi.

Or more likely of the Wood Elves.

Aren't you just talking about the wool wraps at the loop ends? Longbows don't need those as the string doesn't touch the limbs.

And since we are talking about Buff... I pretty much run his setup too on my Window... 4 spiders and 2 of those limbsaver crossbow "jack" shaped silencers. It is a low profile setup and seems to work, so I just settled on that.

Comment

They have the hush puppies too which are yarn puffs of some exotic type. You can buy them together or separate.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              If you want to use cat whiskers check out this tutorial:
              Are your bowstring cat whiskers bulky, drooping, sliding around, or you're just not happy with the way they look and perform? Give this little tutorial a tr...

I came across this video and have tied them this way ever since - works great. Basically you are installing two sets of small (1 1/4") bundles instead of one set of long sloppy ones.
              Thanks for sharing that John.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                They have the hush puppies too which are yarn puffs of some exotic type. You can buy them together or separate.

I use regular yarn wool for the wraps... but I do happen to have some of the material "hush" material they sell for the puffs. I happened to get some in a trade a while back. I just haven't tried them yet because I prefer to not use yarn puffs on my hunting bows because I do hunt in the rain, like to stalk critters, and have brush I walk through, etc.

Comment

It's personal preference imo, cat whiskers have their faults too, if you shoot a lot such as 3-d they start breaking off, and that little strip of rubber stings a bit when it hits your cheek. That and I'm kinda partial to puffballs.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    It's personal preference imo, cat whiskers have their faults too, if you shoot a lot such as 3-d they start breaking off, and that little strip of rubber stings a bit when it hits your cheek. That and I'm kinda partial to puffballs.
                    Why/when would your silencer hit your cheek???

Comment

When the ends of the rubber strands break off, usually at the point the arrow leaves the string and its in the oscillating mode.

Comment

I have both Yarn and beaver fur. I prefer the beaver and like said above just lightly pluck the string if they get wet. I use the yarn on my recurve since it needs a little more help getting quiet, and I make make them as thick, and short or long as I want. My longbows have the fur.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I use regular yarn wool for the wraps... but I do happen to have some of the material "hush" material they sell for the puffs. I happened to get some in a trade a while back. I just haven't tried them yet because I prefer to not use yarn puffs on my hunting bows because I do hunt in the rain, like to stalk critters, and have brush I walk through, etc.
                          I like how they have the ends glued up. Makes getting them in and keeping them straight easier. I like the shape as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X