The Mountains Are Calling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
    Sounds like yall have a great crew put together. It'll be a blast, the scenery alone is worth the trip. The vastness of the land is almost overwhelming at first. The only advice I have is after about the 3rd day of hunting, find the thickest hardest to reach area and go there! Once the pressure was on, the Elk we were after headed to the thick stuff in the bottom of the valleys.
    Those Mule Deer tags will probably come in handy. When we did our DIY Elk hunt (without any mule deer tags), we were all over Mule Deer. Could have shot several nice bucks! We saw Elk on several occasions just couldn't make it happen. Best hunting trip I've ever been on. Yall will have a blast for sure.
    Everybody has told me pretty much the same thing about the mule deer!! I'm stoked that I drew a tag. If I can kill one reasonably early in the hunt I'll buy an OTC elk tag too. I know that's asking for a lot of luck but you never know!!

Comment

Good hunting and safe travels fellas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! I can only imagine the excitement. Look forward to following along. I need to get my friends to get their chit together so we can make a trip like this Lol

Comment

I too will be in CO 12-23 chasing Elk and bear . Mule deer was the success last year .

I look forward to it all year . Good luck Much of the water this year is gone so i will be walking more this year than ever is my guess .

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Somewhere in Colorado... Somewhere that has OTC tags...

If the hunting sucks, I will tell you. If we kill something... I'll still tell you... but probably will lie about it

But in all seriousness, since it is public land DIY, we'll stick to the time honored tradition of not advertising the area out on an open forum.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan!
            Y’all kill one dead for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to y'all! One day I'll try this!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                Rusty and Ryan are super lucky!!!!

Y'all be safe and have fun
                Yeah, it isn't every day that they get to hunt with Scott and Jeff

Comment

Good Luck and be safe. You have the right mindset with killing being icing on cake. People used to ask me isnt disappointing going out there and not killing. I told them it was the best time ever. Way out in the mtns, quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Couldnt have asked for more!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    Yeah, it isn't every day that they get to hunt with Scott and Jeff
                    What am I ? Chopped liver! 😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                      What am I ? Chopped liver! 😂😂
                      Doh!!! You know I just assumed he had listed all three of the "R's" - Ryan, Rusty, and Randy!

Comment

Good luck, gentlemen! Soak it all in and enjoy the entire experience...especially that heavy pack out!

I'm looking forward to the updates on your return!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                          The only advice I have is after about the 3rd day of hunting, find the thickest hardest to reach area and go there! Once the pressure was on, the Elk we were after headed to the thick stuff in the bottom of the valleys.
                          Definitely filing that one away. Sounds like great advice!

Those Mule Deer tags will probably come in handy. When we did our DIY Elk hunt (without any mule deer tags), we were all over Mule Deer. Could have shot several nice bucks! We saw Elk on several occasions just couldn't make it happen.
                          This is how, in my mind, I think it will play out....

Scott/Jeff/Randy will see mule deer while trying to find/get on elk.
                          Ryan/Rusty will see elk while trying to get on mule deer.

We'll chat at camp and decide to swap areas.

Ryan/Rusty won't see mule deer... but elk will be there instead.
                          Scott/Jeff/Randy will see mule deer and hear elk bugling over where they were yesterday.

And the story will repeat over and over again.

Comment

Good luck fellas. Its already nice and cool up in the timber.

I hope yall are camping below 8000...or at least acclimate a day or two before ascending that high or higher.

Comment

Good Luck. That hunt will be very rewarding regardless. Enjoy it, I hope to do this one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Good luck fellas. Its already nice and cool up in the timber.

I hope yall are camping below 8000...or at least acclimate a day or two before ascending that high or higher.
                                Well.....we're camping a little higher than that. I am planning to take it easy the first day or even first couple days if needed though and try to acclimate as much as possible. I'll still hunt, I'm just gonna make sure to stay hydrated and take it slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X