Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you change (New Construction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home generator

Comment

I'm a plumber I can fix most of y'all's problems

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar Angler View Post
        Home generator

That's a great idea!

Comment

I forgot. Big shower that does NOT need a curtain.

Comment

Go with LED lighting if possible. Im a year in to our new house and have already started replacing light bulbs inside.

I upgraded and went with the LED Up Lights on the front of the house and they burn all night. I have not touched them. Neighbors are constantly replacing their outside lights.

Lots of good ideas on here.

I would have built a 3 Car instead of 2. But I did build a 30x40x12 Metal Shop with plans and room to add on a 24x30 front side awning.

Water run off is something else I would have done different. Drain all down spouts underground. My dirt guy did a good job on the slope for everything else.

We have alot of clay so I should have dug out the floorbeds and replaced with good top soil.

I should have put an external Walk door from the garage side of the house so I dont have to use the garage door all the time.

Other than that I really like everything else. But we also went thru this exercise prior to building to make sure we did not leave anything out.

Comment

Yes, all my outside lights in my current house are LED and will spend the extra coin to do same on inside of new one.

Comment

1) Supersized garage so that all vehicles could have doors open and you still be able to walk between them
                2) All doors and entrances be wheelchair friendly
                3) More electrical outlets outside and none be tied to anything in house (Christmas light related)
                4) Gutters all be "leaf prove"
                5) Bigger closets in all rooms
                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I have not built custom yet - so only know problems with current and past purchased houses. I would do spray in foam and have forced fresh air built in (can even put a heat exchanger on that so fairly low heating/cooling loss with daily fresh air. I would consider building humidity control into my a/c system - dry or damp air suck (currently having damp problems - had dry in the past). Will have an outdoor kitchen of some sort. Will have an option of climate controlled kennel (dogs should have decent access to heated/cooled areas - even when I don't want them roaming the house. I don't have an answer to decent storage - my wife will fill it and I still will have none - currently have about 4k sq of storage and have none personally.

I will want a nice sized detached shop/garage. Vehicles in the sun just frustrate me.

Will solve the leaf proofing by having great insulation but no trees over roof.

Would want to wire so I can easily run emergency generators - I want to be able to keep the refrigerator and freezers alive. Might also have a single room with generator powered ac
                  Last edited by Mousehunter; 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

-Industrial style kitchen with hood, 8 burners, hot plate, fryer, steamer, double oven, and large sink to wash plenty of pots, large cutting boards, etc...

-Large workshop to replace my basement that I lost when I moved to Texas. Seems even though I am in a bigger house now, I never have enough room for storage in the Garage as it is packed with tools, motorcycles, weights, etc...Wife constantly complains she can't put her car in there.

Comment

Lights in the closets that go on when door opens, off when closed.
                      Laundry chute in bathroom/bedroom closets that leads to laundry room.
                      Built in gun safe to foundation wall with poured concrete room.
                      Generator ready.

Comment

tag

Comment

A shower in a mud room

Comment

water heater at both ends of the house. Big sink in the garage, with a pisser

Comment

Me--my back yard must face E/SE!! Large entries to the den and great room so furniture can be moved easily

Comment

A hidden closet somewhere to store valuables, or a built-in for your gun safe.
                                Extra electrical outlets in most rooms, and 4 plug outlets in baths, also a second under the counter near where wifey will plug in all her things to look beautiful for you.
                                Outside electrical box(es) for Christmas lights and an indoor switch in a convenience location.
                                If you have any big portraits, an outlet in the wall behind the picture for the lights on the frame, and a separate dimmer to control brightness. In wall wiring for home theater, and an outlet up high for a flat panel tv on the wall to not see it.
                                Plywood behind the sheetrock on a wall where you plan to mount lots of shoulder mounts to be able to put them where you want and not hand in the sheetrock with molly bolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X