Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I'm betting you have one after your next trip to the ranch.
    I’ve been saying something along those lines for too long..
    Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
    Which county are you boys Elk hunting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Edwards

Comment

So I hunt in the NE corner of Real County off of HWY 41...2 weeks ago while bow hunting I swore up and down that I heard Elk bugling all morning! Was this more likely Sika Deer that I was hearing, or maybe Elk in a high fence somewhere, or was it possible that it was actually free ranging Elk?

Comment

Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
        So I hunt in the NE corner of Real County off of HWY 41...2 weeks ago while bow hunting I swore up and down that I heard Elk bugling all morning! Was this more likely Sika Deer that I was hearing, or maybe Elk in a high fence somewhere, or was it possible that it was actually free ranging Elk?

There are free ranging elk in that part of the state. Read through this thread. Patton and a few others have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          There are free ranging elk in that part of the state. Read through this thread. Patton and a few others have them.

That’s the reason I’m asking in this thread, just wondering what the true chances are that I have a few around me?

Comment

Real good chance it was elk, they are in the area you described. Could be sika as well but they don’t usually hammer bugles the way elk will. If you aren’t sure what you’re hearing- Sika usually do 3 high pitch whistles in a row, maybe 2-3 seconds apart. If your close enough you can hear the guttural growl at the beginning and end. The elk I’ve heard sound like what you see on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              Real good chance it was elk, they are in the area you described. Could be sika as well but they don’t usually hammer bugles the way elk will. If you aren’t sure what you’re hearing- Sika usually do 3 high pitch whistles in a row, maybe 2-3 seconds apart. If your close enough you can hear the guttural growl at the beginning and end. The elk I’ve heard sound like what you see on TV.

I sure hope it was! That would add a whole new element to my hunting! Really enjoyed your video above! Good luck at killing that big boy!! [emoji1377]

Comment

I heard sika bugling the other day at my lease. It sounds like a young elk bugle, but without chuckles. Just the whistle.

Comment

Some guys on our lease went down this past weekend and said that there was more movement. Deer are coming to the feeders now.

Going this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be awesome!

Comment

Agreed on awesome weather! Cold, good cloud cover, high and fluctuating barometric pressure. I’m getting pretty pumped.

And it’s good to hear they’re hitting feeders. My good bucks and exotics were mia last trip.

Comment

Comment

Any of you guys put out any of those feed blocks for the deer?

Comment

I put out protein blocks and trace mineral blocks. They get devoured.

Comment

Trace Minerals yes, I'm not a fan of the feed blocks with ground corn/protein in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                              Agreed on awesome weather! Cold, good cloud cover, high and fluctuating barometric pressure. I’m getting pretty pumped.

And it’s good to hear they’re hitting feeders. My good bucks and exotics were mia last trip.
                              Went to the Nueces Canyon Hunters Roundup on Saturday and my wife hunted Sunday and Yesterday morning. She was absolutely covered up with deer and axis. Had 3 axis bucks within 30 yards but too many WT does around to be able to draw. It was a very good weekend for movement

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                                Trace Minerals yes, I'm not a fan of the feed blocks with ground corn/protein in them.
                                What don’t you like about the protein blocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X