Warning: Lower Brazos River now raising water levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: Lower Brazos River now raising water levels

Hope those along the lower Brazos are ready. Whitney Lake just opened it's gates too.

Whitney is now releasing water at 4869cfs. They have pretty much held off till this point.

Waco is still releasing water at 2218cfs.

Aquilla releasing water at 1589cfs.

Be safe yall.

Is the Whitney dam releasing as much as in July of 2007? Took some video of it.

Comment

I doubt it. The water levels for that one project were very high at that time. For some reason I can not access the historical data at this time. But, between the releases of all three projects, the river level will come up more than it has been for the past two weeks. Almost twice the flow rate as has been the last two weeks. This will have a greater effect on the lower flatland areas before it gets to the gulf.

Comment

Brazos in Waco is glowing 7400 cfs as of now.

Comment

It was at 17600 earlier in the week. Unless we get more rain I don't think it will get that high.

Comment

Brazos River at Bryan is flowing at 78,600 CFS. Hempstead = 89,600. And Richmond 166,000 Cubic Feet per Second.

Whitney and Waco are now holding water back for the most part. But Whitney is still releasing some minor to obsorb the impact from the upper rivers where Possume Kingdom, and Grandbury (has little to no real flood plain) are releasing.

Comment

I heard PK was running water and didn't understand it considering they weren't full yet and how high Whitney was below it, along with the others below it.

Comment

PK is near full. Only lacking about a foot of being at conservation level, or normal level. Right now, the Big Sandy and Clear Fork of the Brazos have a pretty good flow that will make for a good inflow to PK. If PK dosen't release and we have more big storms in that region, it could make for devastating results later on up and down the whole river system. A lot worse than what they are below PK and what Grandbury is facing now. And the lower Brazos.

Comment

Waco is not holding water back.flood gates are closed but spillway has been full open for past three weeks.Been by there nearly everyday.Btw they're catching some really good yellows n blues at spillway.Saw four yellows caught there Monday from12 to 38 lbs.Saw some nice blues caught there as well on Sunday

Comment

Comment

Michael, That's one heck of a crest. And what it's looking like to me over the next few days down there. Recension . And a great sight for info too!

But there will still be the possibility of another high crest with the holdings from the upper system if the rains get to bad in that/those area(s). Hopefully they won't. This is what I've been using. It provides a look at any Texas drainage/basin from this link, and the gauges it holds, to find flow rates ect., for an area. Gives a great perspective of what to expect in a Texas river basin it's self. Hopefully NOAA has the rain predictions so the lower Brazos won't see another high crest like this for a while. At least through the summer, hopefully?

As to the lake levels, which also provide an insight to what they are releasing and project depth, I use this sight on a real regular basis being they provide project data in real time, to most all the entities wanting such from the ACE projects/lakes. Helps me on knowing where to fish, and duckhunt on some of the mudflats or flooded vegetation, on different projects.

Comment

It's about to cross the highway here in Bryan. My wife and son drove out to look at it while I am at work. Wasn't very happy they parked on the bridge but the pics are good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432776686.780002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24382994
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432776697.811383.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24382995

Comment

They have 3 of 4 flood gates open at PK dam.

Comment

My dad lives on Granbury and said the water was really moving all day. So Granbury has its gates open. He said would not believe all the trash coming down the river.

Comment

With PK being -.85 low still you would think they could hold some back to help out down stream. Even for a few days it could help out.

Comment

Working...
                              X