A year of planning is coming to fruition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year of planning is coming to fruition

Last year my company went through a merger and the parent company has better benefits and a very nice sabbatical program. To make it even sweeter, they decided to honor our years of service and make us legacy employees. Knowing I was about to hit the magic number it was time to stop dreaming about the trip of a lifetime and make it a reality. After doing some research, talking to my brother, and making some inquires I kept coming back to the same destination, South Africa. I can't believe how fast a year has gone by and now it's time.

Since my brother wants updates and with access to the internet during my trip I decided to make this semi-live with hopefully daily post. Of course the phrase This is Africa that I have heard so much about comes to mind so no guarantees. Wheels up tomorrow morning with the flight I have been dreading.

On the menu is plains game with a lot of photography. Just a quick pic of the arsenal at my disposal.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's awesome, good luck

Comment

Gonna be a great trip! Have a blast!

Comment

Sounds like a great time coming. Best of luck.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

Still in the US and already the adventure has begun. I was getting screened and got pulled off to the side for a pat down. I've read where people complained about this and felt violated but now that I've experienced it I can understand a little why. It didn't really bother me and I found it kinda funny but seemed like they were going overboard. No, there wasn't a cavity search so get your minds out of the gutter. I held my tongue but quips like "Are you going to buy me dinner?" and "I don't know what your looking for but it's a little to the left.(movie line) kept popping into my head. My brother says it's because of my beard but they don't profile right? I guess the joke about TSA being an acronym for Time for another Sexual Assault could be true.

Comment

Just be ready to return as this is a trip that truly gets in your blood and nothing will satisfy except for a return trip. I wish you luck, safe travels and hope you shoot straight and give us a lots of LDP's and stories. Have fun!

Comment

Have an awesome trip!! Looks like you are taking the right gear!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                    Still in the US and already the adventure has begun. I was getting screened and got pulled off to the side for a pat down. I've read where people complained about this and felt violated but now that I've experienced it I can understand a little why. It didn't really bother me and I found it kinda funny but seemed like they were going overboard. No, there wasn't a cavity search so get your minds out of the gutter. I held my tongue but quips like "Are you going to buy me dinner?" and "I don't know what your looking for but it's a little to the left.(movie line) kept popping into my head. My brother says it's because of my beard but they don't profile right? I guess the joke about TSA being an acronym for Time for another Sexual Assault could be true.
                    You must have gone through Keegan's line!

Have a great trip and post pictures!!!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Best of luck to you Sir. In for the adventure and pics.

Comment

Finally in a spot that has an internet connection faster than dial up. Well, the flight wasn't as bad as I was dreading but it was still pretty bad. Tylenol PM and a few rum and cokes got me through most of it. All my gear made it here but they somehow managed to crack my suitcase, luckily the bowcase survived. I got see my first sight of how Africa is at the SAPS office. The Gentleman in front of me lost his 4457 form but they let him fill out the Benjamin Franklin form instead and suddenly all was well. Johannesburg is interesting, I think I've seen less razor wire and electric fences at Ft Hood.

My first 2 days in Africa were spent at Kruger National Park. The drought has really hit the region hard and some types of wildlife are almost nonexistent. We only managed to see one small heard of cape buffalo but the elephants and rhinos were cooperative. I knew Impala were plentiful here but it's almost ridiculous, you get to the point where you are sick of seeing them. The highlight of my stay was a brief Leopard sighting, but they are a rare sight at the park so I'll take brief over nothing.

Well on to some pics and I'll update about Sabi Sands tomorrow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

awesome .. subscribed.

Comment

Beautiful pictures! sub'd for the rest of the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X