Who hunted the two freezes of 1983 & 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hunted the two freezes of 1983 & 1989

Some one was talking about having a heater in a blind and someone said it never gets cold enough in Texas, well that got me to thinking about the Christmas freezes of 1983 ( I spent 10 straight days in Freer tx , temperature never above 16F no water or electricity) the bay’s all frozen
    Then it got worse in 89 , while duck hunting the bay was frozen, every stock tank , and lake froze deep into Mexico , it was cold cold like around 0-fer “ I guess some of the younger guys don’t remember the cold weather “
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-25-2019, 09:48 AM.

Maybe some folks don't realize there's a lot of Texas north of I-10 too - every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Maybe some folks don't realize there's a lot of Texas north of I-10 too - every year.
      lol yep

Comment

Duck hunted in 1989 on Lake Palestine. 2 degrees that morning. Opened a hole in the ice and shot limits of Gadwalls...had ducks falling and bleeding out on the ice. Spectacular hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          yea but thats yankee town...

Comment

I hunted the freeze in Llano in 89. It was so cold that most of the diesel trucks would not start because the fuel had jelled up on them. We had to open the hoods on them, so that the sun would warm them up enough to start. It froze all of the cokes we had in our ice chests. Basically, it was downright cold.

We had also killed a couple of deer and let them hang over night and it froze them solid.

Comment

Who cares if you turn the heater on, even in South Texas!? If it makes you more comfortable then do it! I'm a man, don't use a heater, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

**** it was cold two saturdays ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  **** it was cold two saturdays ago!
                  I turned on the heated seats in my truck this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                    Me too, I'm definitely soft!!!

Comment

I wasn't even a thought in 83 or 89. lol just a measly swimmer looking for a place to land.

Comment

Hunted geese in Altair in ‘89.It was 4* that morning. Walking to the south to set up wasn’t bad but when we were done and had to go back north to the truck it was brutal. When we were gonna mix a drink after the hunt we realized the our cokes were frozen in inside the truck inside a cooler. So we cut the tops off and had bourbon and coke slushees.

Comment

Was hunting in San Saba in '83 and watched a whole herd of cows walk across the Colorado River that was frozen solid...........it was a cold MoFo !!!

Comment

Cold in Menard County this morning. 38 degrees, 20+mph winds, cloudy and damp. I hunted a lot of the cold spells since 1960. Coldest I ever was on a deer hunt was in 1976 when we were hunting the Big Canyon Ranch in Terrell County. We were sleeping in a shearing barn with no heat, water or electricity. We busted a bale of coastal Bermuda hay on the slab and lay our sleeping bags on it. Eaves were open and the snow blew in and covered our sleeping bags.
                            Coldest I ever hunted was two years ago in the Navajo Nation when I dumped the dogs on a lion hunt and it was -20 degrees F.
                            Tried rattling in Menard County when it was -10 and nothing would respond until later in the day when it warmed to 10 degrees. The deer around here are simply not accustomed to temps that low.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                              83 and 89 I drove a Jeep scrambler with a rag top & a no top 73 ford bronco ( no relief with heated seats LOL)

Comment

Working...
                              X