Retreiver training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Just looked up Bill Hillman, $150 for his book/dvd set. Ouch. What does he do so different that the other books?

Already planned on water dog and the 10 minute retriever books.
    Bill Hillman was/is the premier trainer of young dogs back 20 +years ago. I never met him but I competed against dogs he had trained and I was impressed. I don't know if he's still training but his book would be very helpful .

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Force fetch in my opinion is simlar to heated leather seats in your vehicle. It's a luxury. It makes it nice and all, but it should t affect your dog bringing you the bird. He/she just may not deliver to hand or he/she may not pick up up on your command.

I can point at a brick and tell mine to fetch, and he will tear his teeth out trying to get it lol.
      Not sure I agree. Some dogs that aren't force fetched will spit a bird mid field and go on another retrieve if they see one go down on way in.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
        Not sure I agree. Some dogs that aren't force fetched will spit a bird mid field and go on another retrieve if they see one go down on way in.
        That's a gray area in my opinion regarding force fetched. I've seen dogs, including my own that were force fetched that would do that. I think dropping the bird to go for another could be partly lack of force fetched and partly lack of training in the specific area. I had my dog out of that habit in about a week by throwing bumpers on his way in. I would allow him to stop and mark while holding the bird (my personal preference) and then he would bring the first bird back to me. He wouldn't always drop the first bird, but mostly would stop and run to try to get the other one and bring both back at the same time. That, I did not approve of.

Comment

Just bought Gun Dog and Water Dog at Barnes and Noble. I will read it when the wife and I go to Seattle to celebrate out honeymoon in Seattle. Thanks for all the advice, it has been extremely educational.

Comment

Originally posted by Whosure View Post
            Just bought Gun Dog and Water Dog at Barnes and Noble. I will read it when the wife and I go to Seattle to celebrate out honeymoon in Seattle. Thanks for all the advice, it has been extremely educational.
            Dude you better put the books down and enjoy your trip with your wife.

Comment

LOL...no the books are for the flight up and back and when she watches her real housewives of stupid-ville shows.

Comment

LOL...no the books are for the flight up and back and when she watches her real housewives of stupid-ville shows.

Real housewives? Dude, I'm sorry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why do you think I am on here all the time, LOL.

Comment

Why do you think I am on here all the time, LOL.

Glad my fiancé hates all those shows!

Comment

Evan graham has a book/DVD system that I have heard is very good....better than the waterdog and gun dog books if you are wanting a hunt test capable dog.

The biggest difference I have seen watching dogs who where professionally trained or trained in a HRC group vs diy trained is the "finish" of the dog. What I mean by that is most labs want to retrieve and will do good just getting birds for a typical hunt. I have not seen too many DIY dogs who will honor other dogs, run multiple marks in order every time, 100% steady to shot, and run true blinds (hand signaling included). I have seen a lot of guys who say they have a finished level dog who end up yelling at them all morning in the marsh haha.

I understand some dogs that are self trained will do all of the above, and I also understand that most hunters will say they don't need all that. But if you want a dog that can go run a finished level hunt test you will probably be ahead having a trainer at the very least instill the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                        Evan graham has a book/DVD system that I have heard is very good....better than the waterdog and gun dog books if you are wanting a hunt test capable dog.

The biggest difference I have seen watching dogs who where professionally trained or trained in a HRC group vs diy trained is the "finish" of the dog. What I mean by that is most labs want to retrieve and will do good just getting birds for a typical hunt. I have not seen too many DIY dogs who will honor other dogs, run multiple marks in order every time, 100% steady to shot, and run true blinds (hand signaling included). I have seen a lot of guys who say they have a finished level dog who end up yelling at them all morning in the marsh haha.

I understand some dogs that are self trained will do all of the above, and I also understand that most hunters will say they don't need all that. But if you want a dog that can go run a finished level hunt test you will probably be ahead having a trainer at the very least instill the basics.

Let me know when you want to see my diy dog run. Triples and short blinds and I'll let you pick the order she gets them!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Let me know when you want to see my diy dog run. Triples and short blinds and I'll let you pick the order she gets them!

You seem to have a very well trained dog, not discounting it. Most really good hunting dogs wouldn't pass a finished test due to small technical issues, not big stuff. The dog has to be dang near perfect and the judges are picky. Your dog may be capable of nailing a finished test no problem, but on average that's not going to be true.

Knowing the amount of time and dedication it took to get your dog to where it is, I'm sure you'll agree that it's performance vs other "well trained" dogs is very different and that's because of the time you put in. It comes down to what are your expectations for the dog and what amount of time do you really have to devote to it.

I think it's worth the time to join a HRC group if you train yourself. You will have others you can learn from and do t have to pay for the pro training.

Comment

I think it's worth the time to join a HRC group if you train yourself. You will have others you can learn from and do t have to pay for the pro training.
                            Hmmm never thought of that, might be worthwhile for me to join a group even if I have the pup trained, so I can see how experienced owners handle retrieves and provide more realistic training scenarios.

Comment

Hmmm never thought of that, might be worthwhile for me to join a group even if I have the pup trained, so I can see how experienced owners handle retrieves and provide more realistic training scenarios.

You will get a ton of practical knowledge in a club. Most people in the clubs are training for hunt test but you don't have to. You will also be able to learn from others mistakes which may help more than anything.

My best friend has a chocolate dog that runs fished test great, which he self trained, but he had the help of a few trainers that are in the club.

Comment

You seem to have a very well trained dog, not discounting it. Most really good hunting dogs wouldn't pass a finished test due to small technical issues, not big stuff. The dog has to be dang near perfect and the judges are picky. Your dog may be capable of nailing a finished test no problem, but on average that's not going to be true.

Knowing the amount of time and dedication it took to get your dog to where it is, I'm sure you'll agree that it's performance vs other "well trained" dogs is very different and that's because of the time you put in. It comes down to what are your expectations for the dog and what amount of time do you really have to devote to it.

Joining a HRC group is a must! And I'm very annal so I expect perfection!

Comment

Working...
                                X