Varmint Cage DIY Video - It works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, we fight the silly varmints. For those who have seen my video's or subscribed the You Tube Ranch Fairy Nation, I am of questionable sanity. Noted.
    I just kept (over years) experimenting and tweaking, and piddling and wrestling mentally in "meetings of un-ending power point". Then I realized if the silly animals can't get their little arms to the corn, they go away. It's a physical space issue. GO BIG OR GET ROBBED.
    Here's a cage idea, spring loaded, that will work. You'll have to modify the spring idea to fit your feeder. I've used a wire rope strap on some round barrels as a connection point.

You'll see. http://youtu.be/yJXZLO7tNOc

Send your comments here. I am always looking to simplify or improve.
    Last edited by RanchFairy; 08-13-2017, 07:08 AM.

I don't understand why you go thru the trouble with the springs.

You have the right size wire mesh.

I suggest pushing the wire to the OD of the barrel. Attach the cage to the barrel, cut a door or hinge the bottom. Pushing the cage to the outside of barrel will not allow them to reach the spinner plate and stops interest.

Comment

That's was entertaining, to say the least.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        I don't understand why you go thru the trouble with the springs.

You have the right size wire mesh.

I suggest pushing the wire to the OD of the barrel. Attach the cage to the barrel, cut a door or hinge the bottom. Pushing the cage to the outside of barrel will not allow them to reach the spinner plate and stops interest.
        This is how I did it---and I attach the cage to the barrel with a ratchet strap, but also have a door cut into the side that I close with bungee cords.

Comment

One thing that's great about the springs, other than it snaps back on the critters, is the VERY easy removal. You take all the springs off, drop the cage, work on motor, hook cage back up. I had a trampoline die and for some reason kept the springs. Just kind of happened.

Great suggestions, I am going to make the next one bigger to OD of barrel. More fun and frolic as we get this right.
          Thanks,
          - Ranch Fairy out

Comment

That was a fun video to watch for sure. You're an entertaining guy!

When I had 55gal feeders I made my varmint guards similar out of the 1x1 inch wire but made them as wide as the barrels themselves. I've since gone to stand and fills with 85gal barrels!

Some advice...be careful with those winch ups brother. They can really put a hurtin on ya!

Comment

Working...
            X